2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Learning Songs/lesson By Ear, Is it that important? Should I practice it?
Chris Evans
post May 7 2008, 04:42 PM
Post #21

Learning Tone Guru - Community Coordinator & Moderator
Group Icon

Group: GMC Senior
Member No.: 2.860

I`d concentrate on picking out and learning the chords from a song first, quite often it`ll make picking out the tune/solo licks easier once you know what the chord structures and keys of the songs are etc. thats quite often a little trickier than picking out melody lines by ear as the chords arnt always going to be straight bar or power chords.

--------------------
Show us what part of the world you live in and get yourself
ON THE GMC:er Location MAP
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Gus
post May 7 2008, 04:43 PM
Post #22

GMC:er
Group Icon

Group: Student Instructor
Member No.: 3.920

QUOTE (kaznie_NL @ May 7 2008, 05:33 PM) *
could one of you just post a tiny lick, slow and about four notes, then I'll try to figure out the tab and I'll post it. That might be a training for all people who realy haven't done it before. For me for instance, a TV tune is still to hard I think.. So can anyone do that? just plain lick or maybe a small part like:

I liked that idea. What if we create a topic, on recording board?
Someone records a lick and post like you mentioned. The next person has to tab and record the same lick the first person did. And in addition to that it has to record his own lick. So the third person has to figure out what the second one did!

In that we could have fun figuring out the licks from each other and at the same time learning it and training the ears.
To make it easier for beginners we could have it separate per speed. 1 topic for 8th notes (or slower), another for 8th notes triplets, 16th notes, 16th triplets and 32nd notes. A fixed tempo (120 bpm?)

Let´s call it lick chat?? laugh.gif

This post has been edited by Gus: May 7 2008, 04:46 PM

--------------------
my "Thank you GMC!" video

If you like it please vote in the competition ;-)

Gus Stairway to Guitar Heaven - my practice agenda

Check out my lesson here Phrygian Dominant Solo lesson

Gear : Ibanez RGT320q (I just love the neck-thru sustain), Washburn EA-20SDL (acoustic 6 string), Standard strat (Mexico), POD X3 Live

Some of my Guitar heroes: Jimmy Page, Slash, Kirk Hammett, Augusto Licks, Joe Satriani, Gus G, David Gilmour, Mark Knopfler...

+Quote Post
kaznie_NL
post May 7 2008, 06:04 PM
Post #23

Experienced Tone Seeker

Group: Passive
Member No.: 3.471

QUOTE (Gus @ May 7 2008, 05:43 PM) *
I liked that idea. What if we create a topic, on recording board?
Someone records a lick and post like you mentioned. The next person has to tab and record the same lick the first person did. And in addition to that it has to record his own lick. So the third person has to figure out what the second one did!

In that we could have fun figuring out the licks from each other and at the same time learning it and training the ears.
To make it easier for beginners we could have it separate per speed. 1 topic for 8th notes (or slower), another for 8th notes triplets, 16th notes, 16th triplets and 32nd notes. A fixed tempo (120 bpm?)

Let´s call it lick chat?? laugh.gif

Yep that's cool, we should do it! I'll make three topics Lick Chat easy, Lick chat medium, lick chat hard. What do you think of the name Lick It! ?

--------------------
My YouTube Channel Here

My Rec Takes Here

--- GEAR ---
Ibanez SA08LTD2 BAR
Vox AD50VT
Pod Farm
Line 6 Pod Studio GX
El Cheapo Strat
Dunlop Slide
Korg Toneworks AX5G

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
post May 8 2008, 12:01 AM
Post #24

Bass & Beginner Instructor
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 3.410

Well I guess if you do ear training , you can than cheat on some songs that you want to learn fast....But if you don't do separate ear training , than you should try to learn songs by ear than (to train it)..

Lick it! Same like a name for a adult product smile.gif laugh.gif

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!
My solo and band songs : Keep Going On, Night Vibe, Kad Te Vidim, Susret, Plava Silueta

+Quote Post
Gus
post May 8 2008, 12:21 AM
Post #25

GMC:er
Group Icon

Group: Student Instructor
Member No.: 3.920

What about just calling it guitar chat?

Afterall it could be also used for rhythm figures, not only licks... Just has to be limited in time. Maybe 10 seconds , so that we keep the thing rolling.

EDIT: I started the topics.
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...showtopic=15125
I would love to make first entry, but my POD X3 went for repairing... So I have nothing to do proper recording...

This post has been edited by Gus: May 8 2008, 12:57 AM

--------------------
my "Thank you GMC!" video

If you like it please vote in the competition ;-)

Gus Stairway to Guitar Heaven - my practice agenda

Check out my lesson here Phrygian Dominant Solo lesson

Gear : Ibanez RGT320q (I just love the neck-thru sustain), Washburn EA-20SDL (acoustic 6 string), Standard strat (Mexico), POD X3 Live

Some of my Guitar heroes: Jimmy Page, Slash, Kirk Hammett, Augusto Licks, Joe Satriani, Gus G, David Gilmour, Mark Knopfler...

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th July 2017 - 08:01 PM