Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Dream Theater, Opeth, Between The Buried And Me, And Three
shellshock1911
post May 29 2008, 10:16 PM
Post #1

GMC:er

Group: Members
Member No.: 1.414

Excuse me if this review isn't so great, as I have never written one before.

Alrighty, so I saw Progressive Nation last night, and it was INSANE. I have only been to two big metal concerts, Gigantour and Progressive Nation, and this one was definatley better musically and about equal on the rockability.

So anyway, I waited until the last week to buy tickets and they were sold out so in a frenzy, I bought tickets which failed to deliver yesterday, so I went all over town to post offices demanding my tickets and I finally got them. Due to all this crap, I missed the first act, Three, but I heard they were very good and suprised everyone, I would have loved to hear them.

BETWEEN THE BURIED AND ME

Between the Buried and Me was second, and I came in a little late, missed the first song, "Selkies: The Endless Obsession", as well as "Prequel to the Sequel" and "Viridian". But however I did manage to see "White Walls", and it was INCREDIBLY played live, I don't think there was a single note missed on anyones part, the crowd was slow to get into it at first, as it progressed, I personally was about to break loose on the "Get out of this closed off circle part," but when the breakdown comes when they scream WHITE WALLS, it was just crazy for the entire crowd. The final solo, like the rest, was just breathtaking, their live sound had no flaws either so I could hear it perfectly. Overall for what little I saw, I really enjoyed the BTAM performance.

Opeth

Next was Opeth. My obsession with Dream Theater has made it hard for me to truely get into this band, but I have heard a couple songs and was looking for to seeing them live. They started off with the only song I knew very well, which was "Demon of the Fall", and it was insane as expected, the crowd on the floor and balcony were really getting into this one. After that, I sat down and they played "The Baying of the Hounds", which I have never heard, but it was really amazing. They carried on with a few more songs, I don't remember them all, but near the end of their set was a song off their new album, "Heir Apparent", and this song I really enjoyed, even though I have never heard it. The variations of dynamics, vocal and instrumental styles, and everything just made this one great. They ended with "The Drapery Falls", which was great as well for what I saw, but I had to use the bathroom really bad and missed about half of it.

Dream Theater

FINALLY after all this, however great the previous may have been, they didn't even come close of what was about to come, DREAM THEATER. From the time Opeth ended to 2 minutes before Dream Theater started I was just freaking out, I couldn't stand it, I had beaten all the odds to see it, and THIS was it. They started with videos of Dream Theater's history and "The Ant Odyssey". I almost cried at the mere sight of John Petrucci and the band, it was just like OMG I am actually seeing Dream Theater. The crowd was just about to burst it was so crazy in there and as soon as "Constant Motion" started, I just lost all sense of reality and just went crazy the entire song, the solos were ridiculously played perfect note for note, no mistakes at all, the vocals were amazing as well, despite some peoples typical opinions. Following "Constant Motion" was "Beyond this Life" which as usual was ridiculously awesome from the intro to the verses to the instrumental section, it was just amazing, the entire crowd was singing the "Our deeds have traveled far" part. After that was "Surrounded '07". I normally am not a big fan of this song and think it is the weakest one of Images and Words, but the '07 version was SICK, the solos and improv they did ranged from insane keyboard and guitar syncronized shredding to some of the most emotional stuff I have ever heard. Rudess even came out with the keytar and had a battle with Petrucci. I think there was a Pink Floyd cover section somewhere in there as well. Next after "Surrounded '07" was "Erotomania", followed by "Voices", as the album goes. Erotomania was perfectly played, sounded perfect, and was just overall great from beginning to end. Now "Voices" is one of my favorite Dream Theater songs so I was literally crying throughout most of the performance, the solo was just mindblowing, I don't want to say anything more about it because words don't work for this kind of thing. Directly after Voices was probably the most badass song of the night, "The Dark Eternal Night". This song is one of Dream Theater's heaviest, and as a result, the intro and end primarily were just total times set off just to just go bezerk it was so ridiculously awesome, the instrumental section was flawless as well. Last regular setlist song was "As I Am," another Dream Theater favorite, the intro once again just caused me to go crazy, I sang the entire verses and the entire crowd yelled "Take me As I Am," on everytime they were supposed to, all around great perfomance. Finally after that was the encore, which was a medley including, "Trial of Tears," "Finally Free," "Take The Time," "In the Name of God," and "Octavarium," which are all epic Dream Theater songs, making this encore more of an "epic" feeling for me than a badass one. The highlight for this encore was the final solo of Octavarium, which is easily one of the greatest ever. The final note of that solo just caused me to cringe and literally cry once again, it was just beyond imagination.

So all in all, this concert was...well let's put it this way, there is no way I can describe it because NO MATTER what I say, it will be understating how great it was by a long shot. From BATM to Dream Theater, every band played their hearts and left me with one of the greatest experiences I will probably ever have. The only thing I can criticize about the concert was I personally thought Dream Theater's setlist was a bit weak, but then, me being a gigantic Dream Theater fan, that is probably expected. The didn't play "Metropolis", "Under a Glass Moon", "The Glass Prison", "Panic Attack," or hardly anything of "Scenes of a Memory" and mostly played songs that fans had never seen before live. But if they had included those songs in their setlists, this review would probably not be here, because I simply would have died in shock. Sorry if it is a bit lengthy, it concert warranted a detailed review lol. tongue.gif

This post has been edited by shellshock1911: May 30 2008, 01:59 AM

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
post May 30 2008, 02:16 AM
Post #2

Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
Group Icon

Group: GMC Senior
Member No.: 1.304

Sounds awesome, Sunday im seeing them live, cant wait cool.gif

+Quote Post
shellshock1911
post May 30 2008, 02:24 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 1.414

QUOTE (The Uncreator @ May 30 2008, 02:16 AM) *
Sounds awesome, Sunday im seeing them live, cant wait cool.gif

Maybe you will get the encore I wanted lol. I got Schmedly Wilcox, but the other one consists of Metropolis, Learning to Live, and A Change of Seasons!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Lian Gerbino
post May 30 2008, 02:53 AM
Post #4

Instructor
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 4.895

if this was your first review, let me tell u that u r awesome laugh.gif , when i read you review i really felt into the show.
ill check BTAM out
thx for share. cool.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
post May 30 2008, 12:55 PM
Post #5

Instructor
Group Icon

Member No.: 3.341

Cool review man, lots of info! Thanks! smile.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
audiopaal
post May 30 2008, 01:08 PM
Post #6

Competitions Coordinator - Up the Irons
Group Icon

Member No.: 4.276

Thanks for the review mate smile.gif

Sounded like fun smile.gif

+Quote Post
Joey van den bos...
post May 30 2008, 01:29 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 3.285

I always have to laugh at Mike Portnoy for some reason, I have even nicknamed him captain bluebeard now. - Yaaaaarr!

( Who the heck paints his beard blue anyways )

--------------------
I ain't crazy,, I'm an Aeroplane!!

+Quote Post
Pablo Vazquez
post Jun 22 2008, 06:02 PM
Post #8

Instructor
Group Icon

Member No.: 3.192

That's cool!!
Incredible review man!!
Thanks! wink.gif

--------------------
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post
mattacuk
post Jun 23 2008, 08:28 AM
Post #9

Lets go fishing!
Group Icon

Member No.: 1.001

Great reveiw, its featured on todays community update wink.gif

--------------------
mysql> SELECT * FROM master_name WHERE ((firstname = 'Paul') AND (lastname = 'Gilbert'));

"The Fundimental Difference between Paul Gilbert and Buckethead is that Paul Explores the Good side of the force, while Buckethead Explores the Dark Side of the Force" :)

+Quote Post
Tsarpf
post Jun 23 2008, 02:11 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 1.580

Great review! Even though DT's setlist was different when I saw them, I had pretty much the same feelings you described there! tongue.gif
It's propably going to be atleast 2 years before I'll be able to see them again sad.gif

This post has been edited by Tsarpf: Jun 23 2008, 02:14 PM

+Quote Post
Nemanja Filipovi...
post Jun 23 2008, 03:47 PM
Post #11

Singing Instructor
Group Icon

Member No.: 3.960

Great review,glad you seen your band.smile.gif

--------------------
Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

Participate im my new Crazy Blues Collaboration

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
post Jun 23 2008, 07:50 PM
Post #12

Instructor
Group Icon

Member No.: 1.289

Great review and concert! Dream Theater and Opeth together can't be more awesome.

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Joe Kataldo
post Jun 25 2008, 10:59 AM
Post #13

Instructor
Group Icon

Member No.: 3.681

Great review, I'm a fan of dream theater too, I've seen them many times live in italy biggrin.gif

--------------------
________________________________________________________________________________

Add Me on MSN: [email protected]
Visit My Website JoeKataldo.com
I Use Bare Knuckle Pickups
MySapce.com/JoeKataldo
My Lessons and Instructor Board
My Wiki Page

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
post Jun 25 2008, 11:09 AM
Post #14

Member No.: 3.401

I still haven't seen BTBAM sad.gif I have seen Dream Theater and Opeth load of times.

--------------------
Gear
Guitars:- Caparison Horus Snowcloud, Parker Nitefly M, Parker Nitefly SA, Gibson SG, Parker P10e, 40 Year Old Spanish Acoustic
Amps:- Framus Ruby Riot 2x12" stack

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
post Jun 28 2008, 07:08 PM
Post #15

Bass & Beginner Instructor
Group Icon

Member No.: 3.410

Very nice review mate ! I hope I'll get a chance to see these band live smile.gif

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!
My solo and band songs : Keep Going On, Night Vibe, Kad Te Vidim, Susret, Plava Silueta

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th May 2017 - 09:58 AM