> Portable Keyboard
The Uncreator
post Jun 7 2008, 03:44 AM
Post #1

Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
Group Icon

Group: GMC Senior
Member No.: 1.304

So I'm looking into buying a digital piano/ keyboard, or technically "portable keyboard". Anyway, I dont need anything fancy, just something I can learn to play piano better on, and add it into my songs. This is a model I was looking at, Hoping to get some advice from more experienced players though, some people who know this.

So these any good, seem pretty decent for the basic stuff I need it for, Also suggestions are welcomes (Keep them under $300, Price is a factor )

Casio WK119 76 Key

Like i said, Just the basic piano functions, and USB For recording.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Nemanja Filipovi...
post Jun 7 2008, 05:35 AM
Post #2

Singing Instructor
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 3.960

well if it is just for recording,and to help you learn to play better,maybe you should buy midi keyboard for less money,but that requires a good sound card.Midi keyboard are not expensive at all, you can find one for 100$ or less.So that gives you the room to buy a great sound card.I did that.And it is cool for me.

--------------------
Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

Participate im my new Crazy Blues Collaboration

+Quote Post
VinceG
post Jun 7 2008, 08:00 AM
Post #3

GMC:er

Group: Members
Member No.: 973

Yea, you should find like a midi piano like my friend did and he bough a few programs and runs everthing through his computer. Sounds pretty terrific if you ask me! But I do understand if you want to bring your keyboard somewhere like a friends house and not bring your computer/laptop with you. Sorry really no help here laugh.gif

--------------------
METAL SUCKS

My Last.fm account. View it for all the terrible music I play on a daily basis

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
post Jun 7 2008, 11:51 AM
Post #4

Moderator - low level high stakes
Group Icon

Member No.: 2.194

Novation generally get a thumbs up in reviews in terms of quality and keyboard feel. One thing which may be important is that most portable keyboards are not 'weighted hammer action' and so they tend to feel like a synth rather then a piano keyboard. Also below 300USD many will not have after touch.

Cheers,
Tony

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
post Jun 7 2008, 01:10 PM
Post #5

Bass & Beginner Instructor
Group Icon

Member No.: 3.410

If you are going to use it by computer , maybe you want to look into midi keyboard + good sound card.

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!
My solo and band songs : Keep Going On, Night Vibe, Kad Te Vidim, Susret, Plava Silueta

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
post Jun 7 2008, 01:39 PM
Post #6

Moderation Policy Director
Group Icon

Member No.: 1.167

+1 with Vince - if you are interested in recording this to make songs ultimately, you should regard the keyboard as a controller only, and have your PC make the sound form a soft synth - this gives you a lot more options as you record the midi signals not the sound of the keyboard itself. This allows you to very easily edit mistakes and tweak the performance - essential if you are not an experienced player. Even with a soft synth, you can still get a great playing experience just for writing songs and casual playing, you just have to have your PC on whenever you want to play. That can be a little annoying, but ultimately this is a great way of moving to keyboard parts in songs, as you aren't limited to the sounds your keyboard can make. You can buy a new soft synth and get a complete new range of sounds.

For midi only keyboards, as Tony says, Novation are great, and M-Audio have some great models, I have a prokeys 88 full size weighted keyboard. Only problem with that is that it doesn't have aftertouch, although this is only a real issue for live playing. You can always edit it in afterwards if you really need it.

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
post Jun 7 2008, 03:15 PM
Post #7

Instructor
Group Icon

Member No.: 3.341

I would have to agree with majority of people here and recommend MIDI keyboard. It's great for studying and I think there are a few learning softwares available for MIDI keyboards too.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
post Jun 7 2008, 10:14 PM
Post #8

Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
Group Icon

Member No.: 1.304

Alright, I bought a MIDI Controller, I got a Roland one on sale actually for $200, it sounds great, especially the piano, has a great concert hall sound, I can record with it, and it will be good for practicing! smile.gif

Thanks for steering me in the right direction once again GMC smile.gif

+Quote Post
Hisham Al-Sanea
post Jun 7 2008, 10:37 PM
Post #9

Instructor

Group: Passive
Member No.: 3.084

good one from Casio and the price is ok .i have it here in my shop

--------------------

+Quote Post
VinceG
post Jun 8 2008, 06:03 AM
Post #10

GMC:er

Group: Members
Member No.: 973

QUOTE (The Uncreator @ Jun 8 2008, 02:14 AM) *
Alright, I bought a MIDI Controller, I got a Roland one on sale actually for $200, it sounds great, especially the piano, has a great concert hall sound, I can record with it, and it will be good for practicing! smile.gif

Thanks for steering me in the right direction once again GMC smile.gif

rolleyes.gif hope you are happy with your purchase!

--------------------
METAL SUCKS

My Last.fm account. View it for all the terrible music I play on a daily basis

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
post Jun 8 2008, 04:27 PM
Post #11

Instructor
Group Icon

Member No.: 3.341

Congratulations man, good choice. Have a blast, and hope to hear some keyboard tunes soon wink.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th September 2017 - 06:20 AM