> Scratched Backs On Gibsons.
Marcus Siepen
post Jun 16 2008, 04:42 PM
Post #21

Instructor (Blind Guardian)
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 4.464

The backs of ALL my guitars are scratched, some of them are even scratched on the front. Of course I try to avoid this as much as possible, but at the end of the day a guitar is something that you are using, and using things will always leave some marks.

Guitars: various Gibson Les Pauls / Gibson J 45
Amps: Mesa Boogie Tripple Rectifier / Triaxis / 2:90 Poweramp / Rectocabs
Effects: Rocktron Intellifex / Rocktron Xpression
Homepage: www.marcussiepen.com www.blind-guardian.com
Check out my video lessons!
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
post Jun 18 2008, 06:28 AM
Post #22

Group: Members
Member No.: 3.910

haha a friend of mine bought a brand new les paul the day he was gonna play a show and without thinking he wore a big belt buckle when he played and when he got off stage is new guitar was all scratched up in the back. he was really mad but at least it taught me a lesson without having to had make the mistake haha.
+Quote Post
post Jun 18 2008, 01:06 PM
Post #23

Learning Roadie

Member No.: 5.141

while i do agree that scratches adds to the history of the guitar.
However, i also do everything in my power so my guitar will not be scratched by me being forgetful (belt buckle etc.)
+Quote Post
post Jun 20 2008, 10:00 AM
Post #24

Learning Tone Seeker

Member No.: 723

QUOTE (fkalich @ Jun 14 2008, 10:32 AM) *
You guys would have to pass the "Fairy God Mother" test to convince me, that if your guitars could be magical returned to mint, you would refuse.

Next time, you can take care of your guitars, and sell them, and buy a beat up one on ebay, and pocket some cash. Get that desired look right away and save money. Right. I'm convinced.

smile.gif .. Fkalich, i love your sarcastic comments ... always funny. I have no idea what a "Fairy God Mother" test is, but i'm sure i will pass it with no problems ... cool.gif

As much as i love stratocasters, i think a brand new strat is the most boring looking guitar on the market. Mine looks ... lets say "used" to be polite and i love it this way and seriously i don't want to have it back in mint condition. It doesn't mean a guitar need to look like this, but the "history" i add myself to this guitar. To buy a relict series guitar or a already beat up one from someone else could be reasonable for me if it's still a good guitar for a good price, but it would not add more personal value.

This opinion i kind of have with everything i own. In most cases i buy things new and try to take care of it, but on the other side these things are done to be used. What i will do with an 5 years old labtop, shiny since day one, but to slow to do anything with it? So i take it with me wherever i go, accepting the risk to get damaged or scratched, but if it's still alive at the end ... i happily know it was serving me well. On the other hand i'm not throwing my mobile in the pool to test if it's worth keeping it ether.

Back to guitars .. if my guitar would still look like new 10 years after i have bought it, i have two choices to look at it: Be happy that this guitar is still in such a good condition or being sad about all the time i have missed to play on it while leaving it at home/case or cleaning it every 30 minutes. Well .. for me it would be a reason to be sad.

+Quote Post
post Jun 20 2008, 04:22 PM
Post #25

Member No.: 4.221

john mayers guitar has the finish wiped off in places and it looks so awesome smile.gif

Gibson SG-3 Faded
Epiphone Thunderbird
Ovation CC48
Vox AD30VT
Vintage U.S. Peavey Microbass
Orange Tiny Terror w/ 212 Cabinet
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th October 2016 - 03:21 AM