Shredding Mistake--or Is It?
Roko
Jun 15 2008, 06:07 AM
GMC:er
Hi--
I have gotten to be very good at shredding, or at least speedpicking. I can now play many of lessons here on GMC. However, I have noticed that it is easiest for me to put my right hand (playing hand) closer to the neck. If my picking hand is right next to the neck, I can initiate exhilirating bursts of speed. When I play lower down, it sounds less clear. I have always heard that for speedpicking you should place your right hand close to the bridge. Is there something wrong with my speedpicking??

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Outlaw2112
Jun 15 2008, 06:28 AM
post a sample of your playing...

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Enucleation
Jun 15 2008, 06:44 AM
I would very much like to know this too. I think I have the exact same problem. I mean, I guess I could play closer to the bridge and all but its just habit to put my hand closer up.

Also

I don't mean t threadjack but, I also have the habit of when I do certain things I look at my picking hand, not for any reason but it seems kind of weird and I hope it doesn't come back to haunt me one day.

--------------------
Gear
::Guitars::
ESP LTD AX-50 (Temporarily 'out of service')
ESP LTD KH-202
Jackson King V
Ibanez Xiphos (Main)
::Amp::
Line 6 Spider Valve
::Misc::
Pod Studio UX2/Pod Farm
Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah
Ernie Ball Strings (11-48 for Standard D) (9-42 for Standard)
Any pick that works for me
::Wanted::
B.C. Rich Stealth
Xiphos 7 String
Too much....

+Quote Post
James N
Jun 15 2008, 07:02 AM
If your picking is fast and clean and doesn't hurt your arm, you shouldn't be inclined to change it. Even though most people play with their right hand towards the bridge doesn't necessarily mean it will help you improve your technique. But if you feel unsure post a video of your playing.

Just look at marty friedman, he has an odd picking style but nobody's telling him to change it because it works well for him.

+Quote Post
Harris Sopovic
Jun 15 2008, 10:55 AM
Instructor
Well it all depends on how you want it to sound. The tone varies depending on where you pick with your right hand.
The basic idea is to do whatever is necessary to make your playing easier. But its important to sustain a good tone. Other then that, there aren't any rules to follow really smile.gif

Personally i play riffs & chops closer to the neck then i do with the shreds. But thats just a matter of taste of the tone.

--------------------
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post
Young Guitarist
Jun 15 2008, 11:00 AM
QUOTE (Outlaw2112 @ Jun 15 2008, 07:28 AM) *
post a sample of your playing...

^

Yea, that would be easier laugh.gif

--------------------
Rock On!

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jun 15 2008, 01:18 PM
Instructor
As Harris said, there are no rules. If your tone is good and playing precise, you can play it wherever you want really. What is important to feel comfortable while playing it more than looking for some rules to follow form others. So if you like the tone you're getting, then continue to develop like that. If you don't, then while practicing adjust the right hand towards the bridge more often.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
jacmoe
Jun 15 2008, 05:01 PM
I've seen alot of guitarists switching right hand position closer to the neck when entering shred mode - I think I saw Kris doing that in his speed-picking videos, but I'm not sure.. happy.gif

[edit]Oops, I meant right hand, not left.[/edit]

This post has been edited by jacmoe: Jun 16 2008, 02:05 PM

--------------------
QUOTE ("Steve Vai")
Start by playing something - a bend, a riff, a scale, a song - very slowly; if you make a mistake, start over; do this over and over, until you can play it flawlessly - and I do mean flawlessly - many times in a row. Next, gradually increase the tempo. Eventually you'll be flailing like a madman.

+Quote Post
Roko
Jun 15 2008, 08:49 PM
Here is a vid.

Attached File(s)
Attached File  Guitar.wmv ( 8.61MB ) Number of downloads: 179

+Quote Post
Outlaw2112
Jun 16 2008, 04:59 AM
sounded good to me... ive seen people play it both ways, i just always keep my hand on the bridge... Guess its what you feel comfortable with, and how it sounds... look at how lian holds his pick, its totally different than the way i do, but he can totally rock holding it that way... whatever works for you

--------------------

+Quote Post
DeepRoots
Jun 16 2008, 09:34 PM
Get to da Chopper!
Well i watched the video and in my opinion it sounds okay.

Just remember not to pick like this because of the speed factor- that will come with practise. The tone of this method is what should make you want to play it. As far as playing is concerned in the video you may wat to slow things down to help with muting the unwanted strings and also hand synchronisation.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 10:28 AM