audiopaal
post Jun 20 2008, 07:53 AM
Post #21

Competitions Coordinator - Up the Irons
Group Icon

Group: GMC Senior
Member No.: 4.276

QUOTE (MickeM @ Jun 19 2008, 12:32 AM) *
It's marvelous! I've got the 100W head, if the 50W had been out at that time I would have got a 50W instead. My band we play LOUD at rehearsal and I keep the volume between 2-3 ohmy.gif

I like the huge variety in sounds I can get from it. Very clear and full clean, EL34 kind of clean but not thin. Real brit crunch up to 80's hard rock on the crunch channel. I can go really vintage Marshall in the sound picture which is nice.
The Lead channel is totally wild, british metal lead up to way too much gain really. The final channel is a bit scooped in it's character so it's more american sounding. Good "Petrucci"-capability in sound up to more gain than I'll ever need.

The delay is great! The other built in effects are ok too but I rarely use them. The reverb is good too.

When I got my POD rescently I hated 95% of the presets. They were just for show and in reality rather useless. The Switchblade came with really useful presets, it's difficult to make up new ones since the ones already there are so good.

It takes both humbuckers and singlecoils really well and the same setting on channel will act very different if you play with singlecoils or humbuckers. What I mean is that if I play just any amp with humbuckers I can hear it's more output and a bit weaker with single coils but the character of the amp is still a foundation of the sound. The Switchblade, imo, transfers the character of the pickups and guitar through the amp. So what guitar you play will make a huge difference.

The only thing I miss is a built in noisegate. I have to add a pedal before this head because on the two high gain channels it will squeal. But for the rest part I'm very happy. In my little world I get close enough Fender, very good Marshall sound. Mind that this is with the volume at 2-3, my old JCM had to be turned to 10 to make a Marshall sound. A 50w with the volume at 5-6 must in my mind sound oh so sweet. And there's a heck of a progressive metal sound to it on the american gain channel.

$1799 vs $799 is a turn off on Vox's account for me, but I'm not the one shopping. But sounds to me something is fishy right there.

I think you're doing the right thing aiming for 50W. Anymore is just difficult to use.

Thanks for a great reply, now I have to check that one out even more smile.gif
It looks really cool too biggrin.gif

Yeah 50W is plenty, I'd buy a 30W if I find something good..

I'm looking at the Marshall JVM 50W head as well, seems awesome smile.gif

But I'll try them and see what I like the most..
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Alberto Catasso
post Jun 20 2008, 08:46 AM
Post #22

Instructor
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 5.218

Hi Audiopaal!
First: if you have a small vox you can buy a marshall to have the comparison. You can understand the realy sound of amp only in the contest where you use.
Second: if you want the great marshall sound with a little bit of versatility I advise you about jcm 2000 dual super lead 100 watt head. It' s very great amp! It has two channel (1 plexi style and other jcm 800 style with more gain if you want) all tubes.
If you want a head with classic rock tone you will have it!
Good music and let' s rock!
Alberto

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile.

I learn to dream and I will!

+Quote Post
audiopaal
post Jun 20 2008, 09:04 AM
Post #23

Group Icon

QUOTE (Alberto Catasso @ Jun 20 2008, 09:46 AM) *
Hi Audiopaal!
First: if you have a small vox you can buy a marshall to have the comparison. You can understand the realy sound of amp only in the contest where you use.
Second: if you want the great marshall sound with a little bit of versatility I advise you about jcm 2000 dual super lead 100 watt head. It' s very great amp! It has two channel (1 plexi style and other jcm 800 style with more gain if you want) all tubes.
Alberto

Hi Alberto smile.gif
I have a VOX Valvetronix 50W, and I've owned Marshalls in the past.. I like both amps really well smile.gif
100W is a bit too much for my needs, so I'll go for a 50W tube amp as that should be more than enough power for my needs smile.gif
But the JCM2000 dual super lead seems like a fantastic amp as well smile.gif

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
post Aug 25 2008, 03:16 PM
Post #24

GMC Founder & Rocker
Group Icon

Member No.: 2

QUOTE (Alberto Catasso @ Jun 20 2008, 09:46 AM) *
Hi Audiopaal!
Alberto

Great advice Alberto, thanks! smile.gif Oh and you sure do have a killer sound.

--------------------

+Quote Post
g-forcelover
post Aug 25 2008, 04:08 PM
Post #25

GMC:er

Group: Members
Member No.: 2.857

the JVM 50W head is amazing!!!!!! I'm not the biggest fan of vox, so that could affect it. but try everything and see what you like!

--------------------

i tripped and broke my guitar's neck. :(

+Quote Post
MickeM
post Aug 25 2008, 04:44 PM
Post #26

Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader

Member No.: 1.062

...since the topic came alive again I can just share who my latest darling is. An Orange Rocker 30. wub.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
RIP Dime
post Aug 25 2008, 06:26 PM
Post #27

Member No.: 862

The Vintage Modern is my dream amp, I love Marshall's gritty, dirty sound.

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
Gus
post Aug 25 2008, 06:55 PM
Post #28

Group Icon

Group: Student Instructor
Member No.: 3.920

The sound that really blows my mind is a distorted marshall, though fender cleans and distorted mesa are also amazing.
So if it was me I would not think twice about going Marshall.

About the pricing thing, I think you should take the US price as a better estimate of the real good value. Afterall, that's the one place for capitalism. What I mean is that if the Marshall has a higher price in US it is likely it has a better quality. So that means that the Vox price is really inflated in Norway and therefore it is not the best use for your money.

I had kind of similar issue in Brazil. I bought a epiphone Les paul and a mexican strat, both for about the same price. However I liked the Les Paul much more... Some time later I discovered that the strat was considerably cheaper than the Les paul in US... So I felt like I payed too much for the strat. sad.gif

This post has been edited by Gus: Aug 25 2008, 06:56 PM

--------------------
my "Thank you GMC!" video

If you like it please vote in the competition ;-)

Gus Stairway to Guitar Heaven - my practice agenda

Check out my lesson here Phrygian Dominant Solo lesson

Gear : Ibanez RGT320q (I just love the neck-thru sustain), Washburn EA-20SDL (acoustic 6 string), Standard strat (Mexico), POD X3 Live

Some of my Guitar heroes: Jimmy Page, Slash, Kirk Hammett, Augusto Licks, Joe Satriani, Gus G, David Gilmour, Mark Knopfler...

+Quote Post
Noangels
post Aug 25 2008, 07:08 PM
Post #29

Member No.: 5.628

I like the sound of the Marshall vintage modern,it covers all tones from sparkling clean to harmonic overdriven mean.
I would never get a combo,get the Head and buy a cab for it

Only played on an old vox when I was 16,couldnt crank it as it was at a mates house so I didnt get the best out of it

Another Hughes and Kettner Switchblade head user here who gets in trouble with the drummer when I go over 3 on it!
after years of having my hearing damaged by his brass,i think its rightfully paypack time laugh.gif

--------------------
Ibanez geo and a line 6 spider

+Quote Post
audiopaal
post Aug 25 2008, 07:10 PM
Post #30

Group Icon

QUOTE (Gus @ Aug 25 2008, 07:55 PM) *
The sound that really blows my mind is a distorted marshall, though fender cleans and distorted mesa are also amazing.
So if it was me I would not think twice about going Marshall.

About the pricing thing, I think you should take the US price as a better estimate of the real good value. Afterall, that's the one place for capitalism. What I mean is that if the Marshall has a higher price in US it is likely it has a better quality. So that means that the Vox price is really inflated in Norway and therefore it is not the best use for your money.

I had kind of similar issue in Brazil. I bought a epiphone Les paul and a mexican strat, both for about the same price. However I liked the Les Paul much more... Some time later I discovered that the strat was considerably cheaper than the Les paul in US... So I felt like I payed too much for the strat. sad.gif

I did buy the Marshall, only the Head and 4*12 Cabinett smile.gif
Very nice smile.gif

It's not a Metal amp though, so for some great ddistortion I need a pedal (not a problem for me anyway).
But for clean and naturally overdriven sounds as well as great ac/dc like tone and muddy rock n roll this amp is the best thing I've tried smile.gif

This post has been edited by audiopaal: Aug 25 2008, 07:10 PM

+Quote Post
Kevin98497
post Aug 25 2008, 08:34 PM
Post #31

Member No.: 810

well i knnow paul gilbert uses that marshall, he used that one live and miked it. thats all he had and some pedals and my ears were in heaven! i know what id get from live experience smile.gif

+Quote Post
audiopaal
post Aug 25 2008, 11:30 PM
Post #32

Group Icon

QUOTE (kevin-riff-after-riff @ Aug 25 2008, 09:34 PM) *
well i knnow paul gilbert uses that marshall, he used that one live and miked it. thats all he had and some pedals and my ears were in heaven! i know what id get from live experience smile.gif

He does? smile.gif
I didn't know that, guess it's a good amp then tongue.gif laugh.gif

I'm really happy with it, sounds awesome smile.gif

+Quote Post
Kevin98497
post Aug 25 2008, 11:45 PM
Post #33

Member No.: 810

QUOTE (audiopaal @ Aug 25 2008, 11:30 PM) *
He does? smile.gif
I didn't know that, guess it's a good amp then tongue.gif laugh.gif

I'm really happy with it, sounds awesome smile.gif

just read the whole thread
haha i didnt know this was an old topic so i just blurted what i thought out. yeah paul gilbert used the combo when i saw him in june
wow you bought the vintage modern smile.gif im proud of you taking my advice laugh.gif i want one of those, or that H&K mike wrote a recommendation on biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
audiopaal
post Aug 26 2008, 07:33 AM
Post #34

Group Icon

QUOTE (RIP Dime @ Aug 25 2008, 07:26 PM) *
The Vintage Modern is my dream amp, I love Marshall's gritty, dirty sound.

Me too tongue.gif

It's an awesome amp smile.gif

+Quote Post
Marcus Siepen
post Aug 27 2008, 11:56 AM
Post #35

Instructor (Blind Guardian)
Group Icon

Member No.: 4.464

I agree with Ivan, for a Marshall sound I prefer at least a half stack, better a full stack, those small amps never really sound like I want a Marshall to sound like. And in my opinion Marshall has one big problem in general, they just not manage to buld two amps of the same series that sound the same, it is always lottery with marshalls, either you get one that sounds great, or it sounds crappy (my humble opinion at least wink.gif ) So I would go for the Vox here. But the best (as always) would be to go to a local store and check out both amps yourself, the you can really find out which one you like more. And never order an amp over the net, only buy an amp that you really played, otherwise you always have the risk of getting an amp that sounds completely different compared to the one that you tested.

--------------------
Guitars: various Gibson Les Pauls / Gibson J 45
Amps: Mesa Boogie Tripple Rectifier / Triaxis / 2:90 Poweramp / Rectocabs
Effects: Rocktron Intellifex / Rocktron Xpression
Homepage: www.marcussiepen.com www.blind-guardian.com
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post
audiopaal
post Aug 27 2008, 11:58 AM
Post #36

Group Icon

QUOTE (Marcus Siepen @ Aug 27 2008, 12:56 PM) *
I agree with Ivan, for a Marshall sound I prefer at least a half stack, better a full stack, those small amps never really sound like I want a Marshall to sound like. And in my opinion Marshall has one big problem in general, they just not manage to buld two amps of the same series that sound the same, it is always lottery with marshalls, either you get one that sounds great, or it sounds crappy (my humble opinion at least wink.gif ) So I would go for the Vox here. But the best (as always) would be to go to a local store and check out both amps yourself, the you can really find out which one you like more. And never order an amp over the net, only buy an amp that you really played, otherwise you always have the risk of getting an amp that sounds completely different compared to the one that you tested.

I bought the Marshall, a halfstack.

I am very pleased with it, sounds great smile.gif

But yeah, I agree that you should try out an amp before buying one smile.gif

+Quote Post
Marcus Siepen
post Aug 27 2008, 12:01 PM
Post #37

Group Icon

Congratulations smile.gif A halfstack definitely makes more sense than a small combo, at least when it comes to Marshalls smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
audiopaal
post Aug 27 2008, 12:30 PM
Post #38

Group Icon

QUOTE (Marcus Siepen @ Aug 27 2008, 01:01 PM) *
Congratulations smile.gif A halfstack definitely makes more sense than a small combo, at least when it comes to Marshalls smile.gif

Thanks smile.gif
Yeah, I figured it was better to buy a half stack right away smile.gif

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
post Aug 27 2008, 12:54 PM
Post #39

Instructor
Group Icon

Member No.: 3.341

Halfstack is a great option, congratulations. For gigs you can't beat a halfstack. In smaller clubs 2x12 can be enough, but for medium to large venues 4x12 is optimal for a nice big headroom and punch.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Marcus Siepen
post Aug 28 2008, 12:16 PM
Post #40

Group Icon

And the nice thing about half stacks is... you can easily turn them into full stacks biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th July 2017 - 08:01 PM