Sharpening Quick Hammer On, Pull Off Technique
wylde_guitar
Jun 25 2008, 12:24 AM
GMC:er
Im talking about when you're doing same string repeated hammer-ons, and pull-offs between the same two notes. Here's an example if you dont know what im talking about.

5h7p5h7p5h7p5h7p5h7p

Anyways I saw the zakk wylde wah lesson and I can go to a slightly slower speed at my fastest (without being inconsistent), and I'm wondering how I can be quicker, more accurate, and eventually do it like Zakk himself.

I would assume just do hammer ons and pull offs but I don't seem to be getting any faster just by doing them over and over, and i was wondering if there are any good exercises or lessons on here that may help.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by wylde_guitar: Jun 25 2008, 12:26 AM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Jun 25 2008, 12:30 AM
Learning Rock Star
Well, that kinda speed is just by repitition I'd say. But everyonce in a while take a couple of days off from doing it and come back to it. Then both your mind and body will have picked up where you are at. Otherwise you keep pouring new information into your mind/body without allowing it to keep up.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube

+Quote Post
Sami
Jun 25 2008, 12:31 AM
Learning Rock Star
Do you mean Trills? I remember Zakk Wylde saying that he actually likes to tremolo pick Trills Better, If you wanna play them like him that is.
An example of this is in this amazing song http://youtube.com/watch?v=x6LotiAcF1w
Watch the whole thing but play close attention to 1:11-1:117

--------------------
QUOTE (OrganisedConfusion @ Jun 10 2008, 01:38 PM) *
Crysis kicked arse. Gears of War unfortunately I thought was as good as wiping cottage cheese on a cat's head

Hahahaha just imagine the cat hahahah

QUOTE (fkalich @ May 3 2009, 08:01 PM) *
The thing about being really stupid, is that there are a zillion ways to be a moron. There are usually several ways to be intelligent, given a situation, but it is a small finite number. But there are always a zillion ways to be to blithering idiot. So finding a new way to have the intellect of an artichoke is nothing to be proud of really, it is easy to do.

So true... To bad im still an artichoke haha

+Quote Post
wylde_guitar
Jun 25 2008, 12:35 AM
QUOTE (Sami @ Jun 24 2008, 05:31 PM) *
Do you mean Trills? I remember Zakk Wylde saying that he actually likes to tremolo pick Trills Better, If you wanna play them like him that is.
An example of this is in this amazing song http://youtube.com/watch?v=x6LotiAcF1w
Watch the whole thing but play close attention to 1:11-1:117

haha, I just learned how to play that, I've almost got the solo down, but it's still a lil bit sloppy but I've watched the video tens of times.

+Quote Post
skennington
Jun 25 2008, 01:00 AM
Learning Roadie - Never Give Up - Moderator
Try playing it without picking. Only use your fretting hand. It will not be as pronounced of course but you may find your weakness. Personally, I think the answer lies in the picking hand. If you can cleanly pick the note's, your other hand will eventually follow. Try working on some AP lessons. Just my opinion, as everyone's will probably be different. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jun 25 2008, 10:59 AM
Instructor
It is true that Mr.Wylde uses mostly tremolo picking, but he plays hammer ons and pull offs great too and uses them also. For your exercise, it's all down to the metronome mate. Practice precision on slow tempos, and go up the tempo withouth compromising speed with precision and you will be able to play that fast.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Oxac
Jun 25 2008, 05:07 PM
I don't think the speed is the problem, I mean, when you started out you could probably move your pickinghand rather fast, but couldn't pick that fast.... accuracy. Which is developed by excluding bad habits by practising really slow. Then even slower with a metronome.

--------------------
Olle "AJ" Svensson

+Quote Post
Sami
Jun 27 2008, 03:56 PM
Learning Rock Star
Oh yeah check out Marcus Trill lesson!! biggrin.gif
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/solo-guit...-guitar-lesson/

--------------------
QUOTE (OrganisedConfusion @ Jun 10 2008, 01:38 PM) *
Crysis kicked arse. Gears of War unfortunately I thought was as good as wiping cottage cheese on a cat's head

Hahahaha just imagine the cat hahahah

QUOTE (fkalich @ May 3 2009, 08:01 PM) *
The thing about being really stupid, is that there are a zillion ways to be a moron. There are usually several ways to be intelligent, given a situation, but it is a small finite number. But there are always a zillion ways to be to blithering idiot. So finding a new way to have the intellect of an artichoke is nothing to be proud of really, it is easy to do.

So true... To bad im still an artichoke haha

+Quote Post
Gerardo Siere
Jun 29 2008, 02:24 PM
Instructor
Actually playing hammer ons very very slowly is very difficult, should try a confortable time to practice. Here are two precition tips: the place where you should hit the string is just behind the fret, not over and not far before it, so you get a clean note. Use the tip of the finger. Don´t let finger articulations do stright, should be bend all the tiem if position allows you. The movement should be mainly the FINGER ALONE, but you can hlep your self with the wrist and hand. AND MUST ASSIGN SOME TIME TO LOSSEN THE PRESURE OF FINGERS ONCE YOU HIT THE STRING. tHE MOVEMENT SHOULD BE INCREDIBLE FAST and that is for every metronome setting, we are talking about the speed of attack, not the speed of the notes.

--------------------
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jun 29 2008, 04:50 PM
Instructor
Gerardo really nailed it on the explanation, I'm 100% with him on this one smile.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
kjutte
Jun 29 2008, 05:18 PM
QUOTE (wylde_guitar @ Jun 25 2008, 01:24 AM) *
Im talking about when you're doing same string repeated hammer-ons, and pull-offs between the same two notes. Here's an example if you dont know what im talking about.

5h7p5h7p5h7p5h7p5h7p

Anyways I saw the zakk wylde wah lesson and I can go to a slightly slower speed at my fastest (without being inconsistent), and I'm wondering how I can be quicker, more accurate, and eventually do it like Zakk himself.

I would assume just do hammer ons and pull offs but I don't seem to be getting any faster just by doing them over and over, and i was wondering if there are any good exercises or lessons on here that may help.

You have to strain yourself, far beyond ability. That way your muscles grow toward your goal.

+Quote Post
Joe Kataldo
Jul 1 2008, 01:47 PM
Instructor
Check out my coming soon lesson "Pentatonic Legato Workout" will surely sharpen your technique biggrin.gif

--------------------
________________________________________________________________________________

+Quote Post
Oxac
Jul 1 2008, 10:39 PM
first you should try to find a good tone. then practise the attack slowly so you minimize movement and hit exactly the way you decided to. Then you should play at a very slow speed but using a strong attack. That's my philosphy.

--------------------
Olle "AJ" Svensson

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 12:04 PM