Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Its Time..., That time in every young man's life...
Fullmetal_Tmd
post Jun 25 2008, 01:51 AM
Post #1

GMC:er

Group: Members
Member No.: 4.986

... to finally buy some new gear tongue.gif
I've been away for the past few weeks working to get some spare cash in my wallet, and i've finally got enough for some new (used) gear!!!! I've been looking at some used Marshall JCMs online recently, and i'm pretty sure everyone knows how essential they were in the 80's.

Currently, my only choices are between a JCM 600 Combo and JCM 2000-TSL601 Combo. Both are 60W and both have new tube installed and everything. What I wanna know is what is the tonal difference between the 600 and 2000? Do either of them have decent cleans? Also, do they sound good with drop tunings? (I usually play in Drop B when jamming with some friends to play some Isis songs we learned)

I know they get some heavy distortion, probably not enough for modern anymore, but i've got a few pedals to fix that.
If it helps, I tend to play Doom metal, Atmospheric Black Metal, Post Metal, and Sludge metal. Is either one of these amps right for me, or should i keep looking?

(BTW, i'm buying a new guitar too, most likely a C1 Hellriaser)

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
post Jun 25 2008, 11:23 AM
Post #2

Instructor
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 3.341

I think you should keep looking because neither of the amps you wrote have enough distortion. I would say it is safer bet to go for the TSL, and buy a pedal if you really like the marshall sound tho.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
MickeM
post Jun 25 2008, 11:52 AM
Post #3

Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader

Member No.: 1.062

I used to have a JCM800 from around -85 and I'll list a couple of problems you might run into with an old Marshall
- It has Marshall cleans (i.e. not the best)
- It only sounds great when cranked

The newer tube amps can sound good at low volumes, but the older ones won't.

--------------------

+Quote Post
bmh1109
post Jun 25 2008, 07:12 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 1.747

i had a Marshall TSL60 head that I sold not too long ago because i started playing more metal music and it just wouldn't cut it for that style of music, even with overdrive pedals and such in front of it. So i suggest you keep looking for somthing else for that metal sound.

--------------------
Guitars
Ibanez Prestige RG2570E, Fender MIM Strat
Amps
Mesa Studio Preamp--->Mesa 50/50--->Line 6 M13 ---> into Avatar 2x12 Cab rewired for stereo operation

+Quote Post
Fullmetal_Tmd
post Jun 25 2008, 10:33 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 4.986

Yeah, I don't think i'll be going for the JCMs anymore. Instead, I could possibly go for a Genz Benz El Diablo 60w Combo, a Mesa Boogie Rectoverb head, or a Peavey 5150 head.

I've had my eye on for a while on the Genz Benz, but looking at some of the reviews on various sites say its not good for metal, while others say they do. I've tried out a 5150 head before and i know it delivers in the distortion area, but i really don't need something with 120W. The Rectoverb might be my best bet , but i don't know how long it'll stay in my price range.
(Btw, i'm looking at this stuff on eBay tongue.gif)

--------------------

+Quote Post
bmh1109
post Jun 26 2008, 05:14 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 1.747

QUOTE (Fullmetal_Tmd @ Jun 25 2008, 05:33 PM) *
Yeah, I don't think i'll be going for the JCMs anymore. Instead, I could possibly go for a Genz Benz El Diablo 60w Combo, a Mesa Boogie Rectoverb head, or a Peavey 5150 head.

I've had my eye on for a while on the Genz Benz, but looking at some of the reviews on various sites say its not good for metal, while others say they do. I've tried out a 5150 head before and i know it delivers in the distortion area, but i really don't need something with 120W. The Rectoverb might be my best bet , but i don't know how long it'll stay in my price range.
(Btw, i'm looking at this stuff on eBay tongue.gif)

For your style of music, a 5150 maybe be your best bet. Don't worry about the power, yeah it will be loud as crap, but then again so is a 60w tube amp. Plus you can always get a power attenuator. however rectoverbs are nice, either way i don't think you can go wrong.

--------------------
Guitars
Ibanez Prestige RG2570E, Fender MIM Strat
Amps
Mesa Studio Preamp--->Mesa 50/50--->Line 6 M13 ---> into Avatar 2x12 Cab rewired for stereo operation

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th January 2017 - 09:11 PM