Picking Hand Technique
Xecuter88
Jun 25 2008, 05:42 AM
GMC:er
Hi!

I've been playing guitar for a few years now, about 12-13. tongue.gif
But I've just recently discovered that there might be something wrong with my right hand (pick) technique.
I've been trying forever to build up speed in my picking hand, but still can't pick any fast.

What I do when I pick, is that I pick with my underarm and not my wrist, as I think it should be.
My arm often cramp up, but I didn't realize what it was until just recently.

Is there any good exercises to get rid of my bad picking technique, and pick correctly?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
---Some fancy signature---
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jun 25 2008, 10:49 AM
Instructor
Well, don't worry if you created a bad habit, you will fix it in time. Just practice properly from the wrist everything. Hopefully after a few weeks you will already see some improvements.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
Jun 25 2008, 10:54 AM
You aren't using a wrong technique at all. I pick like that on songs that are in a punk style like say if you're playing Million Miles Away by the Offspring then I'd move my elbow but for speed picking and metal you have to pick from the wrist.

Make sure your arm is relaxed and just keep practicing with a pick moving up and down from the wrist without a guitar. Just keep doing the movement. Then grab a guitar and try doing it with one note. If you then build this up to do scales and practice songs then it should be fine if you practice picking from wrist only for a while.

--------------------
Gear
Guitars:- Caparison Horus Snowcloud, Parker Nitefly M, Parker Nitefly SA, Gibson SG, Parker P10e, 40 Year Old Spanish Acoustic
Amps:- Framus Ruby Riot 2x12" stack

+Quote Post
Vasilis
Jun 25 2008, 10:54 AM
Just try and pick in a more relaxed state using your wrist in slow tempo. Practice over a scale or another exercise like 1,2,3,4 over the whole neck and slowly raise the tempo little by little. Always use upstroke then down stroke while practicing.

+Quote Post
Marcus Siepen
Jun 25 2008, 01:03 PM
Instructor (Blind Guardian)
Whatever bad habit you might have, you can always work against it, it sometimes just takes some time and patience. In your case I would also suggest that you start slowly and practice to pick from your wrist, not your arm, it should be possible to eliminate your problem like this.

--------------------
Guitars: various Gibson Les Pauls / Gibson J 45
Amps: Mesa Boogie Tripple Rectifier / Triaxis / 2:90 Poweramp / Rectocabs
Effects: Rocktron Intellifex / Rocktron Xpression
Homepage: www.marcussiepen.com www.blind-guardian.com
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post
Nighthawk1
Jun 25 2008, 01:09 PM
...and take a look at Pavel's Alternate Picking 1 lesson he gives a good introduction of how to hold the picking hand etc..this is of course just the best way to pick really fast...

This post has been edited by Nighthawk: Jun 25 2008, 01:10 PM

+Quote Post
fkalich
Jun 25 2008, 02:08 PM
Batio is doing it all wrong, somebody needs to tell him.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=qG74eVb6V10

+Quote Post
DeepRoots
Jun 25 2008, 02:12 PM
Get to da Chopper!
QUOTE (fkalich @ Jun 25 2008, 02:08 PM) *
Batio is doing it all wrong, somebody needs to tell him.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=qG74eVb6V10

wink.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

Was going to mention that, Batio picks from the arm fellas. Though its far more common to find "wrist pickers". I think the only reason Batio picks like that is because he is left handed and couldnt get the wrist motion going when starting out, could be wrong though.

+Quote Post
fkalich
Jun 25 2008, 02:27 PM
QUOTE (DeepRoots @ Jun 25 2008, 08:12 AM) *
wink.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

Was going to mention that, Batio picks from the arm fellas. Though its far more common to find "wrist pickers". I think the only reason Batio picks like that is because he is left handed and couldnt get the wrist motion going when starting out, could be wrong though.

people are different, what works for one might not work for another, for various reasons. It is easy to fall into to the "only way to do it is my way". I an often guilty of that. However, I never believe myself at those times.

+Quote Post
Xecuter88
Jun 25 2008, 05:17 PM
Thanks for the response! I have to get this thing corrected in a hurry, since I'm starting school in 2 months.

--------------------
---Some fancy signature---

+Quote Post
heavenly_spin
Jun 26 2008, 04:28 AM
Oh and I have a question too: when I do sweep picking should I sweep with my arm or my wrist? huh.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 10:52 AM