> Pick Holding
kaznie_NL
post Jul 1 2008, 03:45 PM
Post #1

Experienced Tone Seeker

Group: Passive
Member No.: 3.471

Hey GMC,

I was playing the Zakk Wylde Style lesson from Gabs, and it includes a speedpicking part. I had problems with the 75bpm part, and then I picked up my small pick. It's a purple 2mm stubby. Then I found that with that pick I had to put my fingers more like the teachers do: the side of the tip of the index finger and the side of the thumb. On the big picks I normaly tend to get the position like when you make a fist and shove the pick between your index and thumb, resulting in the pick being around my thumb knuckle. I mean the one between the real knucle and the nail biggrin.gif

Now this new position made me play the part a bit better, more clear and faster. I also found that if I want to have that position on the big pick, it slides out of there. I now tend to use the small one more, but any experience that might help me here?

Kaz

EDIT: also the little pick has a much more edgy point, and just feels like a play more fluid with it, like flying over the strings biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by kaznie_NL: Jul 1 2008, 03:48 PM

--------------------
My YouTube Channel Here

My Rec Takes Here

--- GEAR ---
Ibanez SA08LTD2 BAR
Vox AD50VT
Pod Farm
Line 6 Pod Studio GX
El Cheapo Strat
Dunlop Slide
Korg Toneworks AX5G
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
post Jul 1 2008, 03:53 PM
Post #2

Instructor
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 3.341

It's great to hear that you found a pick that suits you better man. smile.gif 2mm stubby is a great one indeed, but i avoid it because of the rhythm.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
kaznie_NL
post Jul 1 2008, 03:57 PM
Post #3

Experienced Tone Seeker

Group: Passive
Member No.: 3.471

QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Jul 1 2008, 04:53 PM) *
It's great to hear that you found a pick that suits you better man. smile.gif 2mm stubby is a great one indeed, but i avoid it because of the rhythm.

I think maybe it's good to swithc, the Muris pick just gives some more feeling and also better for rhythm, but the stubby is nice for speedpicking.

--------------------
My YouTube Channel Here

My Rec Takes Here

--- GEAR ---
Ibanez SA08LTD2 BAR
Vox AD50VT
Pod Farm
Line 6 Pod Studio GX
El Cheapo Strat
Dunlop Slide
Korg Toneworks AX5G

+Quote Post
jacmoe
post Jul 1 2008, 04:31 PM
Post #4

GMC:er

Group: Members
Member No.: 3.432

I like Stubby 2.0, but I also use Jazz III (Tortex).
They are great for different things. wink.gif

--------------------
QUOTE ("Steve Vai")
Start by playing something - a bend, a riff, a scale, a song - very slowly; if you make a mistake, start over; do this over and over, until you can play it flawlessly - and I do mean flawlessly - many times in a row. Next, gradually increase the tempo. Eventually you'll be flailing like a madman.

+Quote Post
Jenkinson
post Jul 2 2008, 04:46 AM
Post #5

GMC:er

Group: Members
Member No.: 2.498

I discovered the Jazz 3 a couple of months ago.. I had been using that until I recently starting learning alot of megadeth songs. Then I started switching between the two: Jazz 3 for neoclassical style picking routines, and purple tortex for rhythm parts.. Today I decided to keep the Jazz 3 for all situations, it is my new pick of choice. It is soo lightweight my hand flys, it is accurate so it gives me a tight sound. I do prefer the tone I get for the purple turtles though,, sad.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th January 2017 - 09:48 AM