Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Bend+Vibrato Technique
sanders4617
post Jul 6 2006, 05:09 AM
Post #1

GMC:er

Group: Members
Member No.: 275

Ok.. I can do vibratos fine.. as long as I am not bending the string and then doing it. When I try, I either end up releasing the bend some and changing the pitch off key or it just won't sound right. I am trying every kind of movement from my fingers to my wrist.. or even both. I just can't get it to work. Is this something that takes time to develop or is there just a little trick to it? lol

Thanks

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Norven
post Jul 6 2006, 10:11 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 656

I had the same problem... You need to to it slow, its importent that you don´t do to big movement. Train to bend up and do a slow vibrato. Worked for me, hope it help you to

--------------------
The Guitar may be the love of life.

+Quote Post
Jeff
post Jul 6 2006, 03:53 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 706

Make sure your thumb is not too far down on the back of the neck. It's harder to get strength that way. When your thumb is higher, it's easier to bend.

You should be able to set your metronome and practice simple slow vibrato's up/down with the timing of the metronome. That would help.

Also, when I do vibrato with my ring finger for example, I support it with my index and middle finger so I'm using three fingers to bend the string. That and having the thumb on top should give you plenty of strength for that type of vibrato anyway.

Don't know if you have Kris's "Speed, Tone & Theory" DVD but he does a good job of explaining the vibrato technique.

Hope this helps. smile.gif

+Quote Post
sanders4617
post Jul 6 2006, 07:41 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 275

Well, I am doing what all you guys are saying, I guess I will just keep practicing at it.. doing it slowly. I have really slowed down my playing in the last week or two and have seen a vast improvement in speed. I will do the vibrato slowly like I do those.. should help.

BTW Kris.. the video of you and your student is what made me realize that I was too pushing myself sometimes.. and needed to slow down. I have seen an improvement within 2 weeks bigtime.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
post Jul 7 2006, 01:07 PM
Post #5

GMC Founder & Rocker
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 2

QUOTE (sanders4617)
BTW Kris.. the video of you and your student is what made me realize that I was too pushing myself sometimes.. and needed to slow down. I have seen an improvement within 2 weeks bigtime.

I was really hoping that video would be an eye-opener for people! biggrin.gif

K

+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th March 2017 - 11:20 AM