Reply to this topicStart new topic
> I Hear A Backing Track
lliber
post Jul 15 2008, 06:18 PM
Post #1

GMC:er

Group: Members
Member No.: 1.666

i hear a backing track but just dont know what scale to play with it or where to start if its in G what scales go with this? THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR ANY HELP THAT ANYONE CAN OFFER
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Xecuter88
post Jul 15 2008, 08:01 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 5.047

If it's in G major, the G major scale will fit, obviously. Also the G major pentatonic will fit.

There are lots of scales that can fit to that. I suggest you read some theory, i. e. Where To Start.

--------------------
---Some fancy signature---

+Quote Post
Xose Pineda
post Jul 16 2008, 02:54 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 5.336

Yeah... each chord progression has a certain group of "compatible" (to say in a funny way) scales... Read a bit of Andrew's excellent lessons.

Catch ya!

--------------------

xose pineda

+Quote Post
kjutte
post Jul 16 2008, 10:47 AM
Post #4

Group: Passive
Member No.: 2.337

QUOTE (lliber @ Jul 15 2008, 07:18 PM) *
i hear a backing track but just dont know what scale to play with it or where to start if its in G what scales go with this? THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR ANY HELP THAT ANYONE CAN OFFER

Personally, when I hear a new track, I play the 7 notes of the majorscale in all keys until I hear which fits, then I know what key it's in. (well, sometimes relative key, but don't mind that.)

To get a real idea you have to know the chords, but who cares- aslong as you can jam to it.

+Quote Post
Nemanja Filipovi...
post Jul 16 2008, 11:11 AM
Post #5

Singing Instructor
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 3.960

I think in time you get your ear to listen better,so,the more songs you try to analyze you will be better at finding chords and there root keys.Off course,theory is a good way to start. I agree with Xecuter88,you should start at the link that he gave you,and just be patient.smile.gif

--------------------
Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

Participate im my new Crazy Blues Collaboration

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
post Jul 19 2008, 06:34 PM
Post #6

Bass & Beginner Instructor
Group Icon

Member No.: 3.410

Which scales do you know ? You need to analyze the track to see which are the chords played, to match the scales than wink.gif

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!
My solo and band songs : Keep Going On, Night Vibe, Kad Te Vidim, Susret, Plava Silueta

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
post Jul 20 2008, 05:24 PM
Post #7

Instructor
Group Icon

Member No.: 3.341

there are some general guidelines with roots and chords, but you do need to work on your theory a bit, and also apply it in practice. For example, if you start with the music that is influenced by blues, like rock&roll, rockabilly, classic rock, hard rock, classic metal, soul, pop, RnB, and more or less other types of music, and anything in between, you can generally start playing the minor pentatonic scale right away. Also a large amount of songs is revolving around major chord, so a major pentatonic scale can be used as well. Since you know these two scales, if you combine them you will get a dorian/minor blues combination involving major 3 and augmented 6 into the G minor pentatonic.

So as you can see, blues had such a strong influence on all these types of music, that this dorian/blues scale combination around root note became universal and on of the important characteristics of the western music of the 20th century.

Also when finding a key, and you spot a lot of chords that have # or b sings, you can start playing right away frets that are NOT dotted inlays, because notes involved are most likely there, and not on the dotted inlays. This is useful if you are not yet familiar with notes on the fretboard.

When on this question I might note that all of the above are just some tips how to do it quickly in situations that require fast composing, improvising etc..

The main goal is to learn all 12 keys and their notes. That is the BASIC thing that you SHOULD know. After that it become much much easier, because you really don't have to study that much, after all 12 keys, is trivial as opposed to some book of 200 pages that you probably have to work for school. So when you do learn these keys, you will find that there isn't really too much combinations with certain chords, and when you have G major chord for example, you have only 3 main keys to choose from, and they all differ from one another within 1 or 2 notes! smile.gif Most of the western music is based on a 2, possibly 3 modulations at best, and therefore if you learn this, you can play anything from Beatles to Nirvana.

If you are planning to dwelve (seriously) into jazz/fusion waters, you must learn all of this FIRST and them work your way up to the next level.

This post has been edited by Ivan Milenkovic: Jul 20 2008, 05:26 PM

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
post Jul 20 2008, 05:27 PM
Post #8

Instructor
Group Icon

Member No.: 2.159

Main thing is the key.
If you know which key it is then you know which scale/s to use. smile.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
kjutte
post Jul 21 2008, 01:01 AM
Post #9

Group: Passive
Member No.: 2.337

QUOTE (Muris Varajic @ Jul 20 2008, 06:27 PM) *
Main thing is the key.
If you know which key it is then you know which scale/s to use. smile.gif

Personally I often make the mistakes of hitting a relative key instead of the root key.
Any tip for the problem Muris?

+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th July 2017 - 11:53 PM