Learning New Chords/styles
SonofDestiny
Jul 27 2008, 12:48 PM
GMC:er
Hey guys,

I've been stuck with the same old chords and the same old chord progressions in every song I write. I want to do some new stuff now, but I don't know where to start.

How do you guys learn new chords? I have a pdf-file with every imagenable chord, but I don't know how to use it. There are SO many chords and there's no way I can learn them quickly without having a good method.

Can you recommend me some uncommon styles/bands https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/rhythm-gu...n-metal-lesson/ that use comparable stuff like the first riff in this lesson?

Thanks in advance!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Wishlist: the world.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jul 27 2008, 03:11 PM
Instructor
With what chords are you stuck man?

Usually when people say their stuck with certain chords, it's time for some theory learning. ALso check out my songwriting lesson. It may not be the style you're in, but try to figure out a concept of chordal progression and chordal replacement.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
JVM
Jul 27 2008, 04:26 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Jul 27 2008, 10:11 AM) *
With what chords are you stuck man?

Usually when people say their stuck with certain chords, it's time for some theory learning. ALso check out my songwriting lesson. It may not be the style you're in, but try to figure out a concept of chordal progression and chordal replacement.

I agree with Ivan. I think it might be time you start learning some theory. To start, learn about intervals here and start learning how to build chords with triads here. These have been among the most valuable lessons in theory I've learned, so I highly recommend them smile.gif Learn how to build your own chords whenever and wherever you want.

If you wanna keep going also be sure to check out seventh chords and the rest too smile.gif I have them bookmarked, personally.

This post has been edited by JVM: Jul 27 2008, 04:29 PM

--------------------
Gear: Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Gibson '67 RI Flying V, Mesa Boogie F-30 112 combo, crazy pedals.

+Quote Post
SonofDestiny
Jul 27 2008, 04:28 PM
Basic open chords, some jazzy chords and powerchords.

Do you think it's advisable to print all these theorylessons and learn them without a guitar? (cos I'm gonna be in a car for a lot of hours next week tongue.gif)

This post has been edited by SonofDestiny: Jul 27 2008, 04:29 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
JVM
Jul 27 2008, 04:32 PM
Learning Roadie
Yeah, I say its a great idea to do so, reading them will help a ton. In fact I would maybe bring a sheet or two with you with a fretboard (doesnt have to be accurate, just 4-5 frets on it) drawn on it so you can practice constructing chords. Draw a few of them in pen and then make chords over them in pencil. If you do your homework right you'll come back to your guitar with a much better understanding smile.gif

--------------------
Gear: Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Gibson '67 RI Flying V, Mesa Boogie F-30 112 combo, crazy pedals.

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Jul 27 2008, 04:35 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
QUOTE (SonofDestiny @ Jul 27 2008, 05:28 PM) *
Basic open chords, some jazzy chords and powerchords.

Do you think it's advisable to print all these theorylessons and learn them without a guitar? (cos I'm gonna be in a car for a lot of hours next week tongue.gif)

Yes its a very smart thing to do !!! (But make sure you are not the driver of that car though smile.gif )

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
SonofDestiny
Jul 27 2008, 04:37 PM
Hahaha that's some great advice Bogdan biggrin.gif

Is it really a matter of learning these things by heart? I mean, like the names of the semitones. Should I learn that like learning a language?

Oh by the way JVM, isn't there a place where I can download an empty chord diagram on GMC?

This post has been edited by SonofDestiny: Jul 27 2008, 04:57 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 05:02 PM