> Problem With Dimarzio
wrk
post Jul 27 2008, 03:41 PM
Post #1

Learning Tone Seeker

Group: Members
Member No.: 723

Hi,

I have bought a few months ago a new DiMarzio DP186 neck pickup, but since a while i have had some problems with it. I think some of you prefer as well to fix your guitar on your own, so maybe it could be interesting for someone.

The problem was, from one moment to another the output signal was extremely weak or no signal at all.
As i did all the wiring on my own, including pots and switch, i have thought i messed something up, but i couldn't find the problem. Today i noticed, once the signal was gone, when i press on one side of the pickup the signal came back, so there was obviously something wrong with the pickup itself.

I put everything off and finally saw that one soldered connection on the pickup was not really well done. The tin solder was not completely covering the cable coming out of one coil. So i fixed it on my own and soldered it again. I'm not sure it was the most cleverest thing to do as the cable is extremely thin, but the other option would have been to send it back and wait weeks to get a replacement. Everything was going well and its working again. smile.gif

I guess i was just unlucky to get this one, as DiMarzio pickups are just great and good quality normally.

Attached Image

Attached Image

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
MickeM
post Jul 27 2008, 04:40 PM
Post #2

Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader

Member No.: 1.062

Good thing you were able to fix it, and great advice to remember incase it happens to anyone else. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
post Jul 27 2008, 04:48 PM
Post #3

Instructor
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 2.159

It's great that fixed you it by yourself wrk,
and thanks for sharing the experience,
perhaps someone else will benefit from it! smile.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
wrk
post Jul 27 2008, 05:12 PM
Post #4

Learning Tone Seeker

Member No.: 723

Yes, i have thought it could be helpful if someone experience some problems with a pickup, even if its maybe an exception.

I should add, the DP186 is a humbucker, means two coils. These 4 soldered connections on each corner are the ends of the coil wire. It's REALLY thin .. be aware of this that they easily can melt when soldering too hot.

I suggest, if buying a new pickup is a big investment for someone, better bring it back to the shop. But to understand the problem cold be helpful to point their nose in the right direction ... smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
post Jul 27 2008, 05:22 PM
Post #5

Instructor
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 3.341

Good thing you shared this, I'm sure somebody will find it useful. My guess is this happens on rare occasions, but you can never be too sure with mass production these days. It is great that you humbucker is up and running once again, and you fixed it all by yourself. smile.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th October 2017 - 07:45 PM