> Ibanez Ah
kaznie_NL
post Jul 28 2008, 01:22 PM
Post #1

Experienced Tone Seeker

Group: Passive
Member No.: 3.471

Hey Guys,

I'm still busy with Ibanez guitars tongue.gif At the moment I'm having an eye on the SA160, the SA120, the SA260 (lots of SA here tongue.gif ) and the RG321. Now the RG has infinity pickups, and in a thread from some days ago, there was said those were ok, but not super. Now what's it with the AHS pickups? The SA120 has two humbuckers, the AH5 and AH6, where the SA160 has the AHS1 AHS2 and AH1. The SA260 has the AHS1, AHS2 and the True Duo Bucker, which I read was designed by Dimarzio. Now the Question is, how good are the AH pickups and what's the difference with the numbers. Also is the difference in the 260 and the 160 only the other humbucker and that you can split it? or are there more differences?

grtz,

Kaz

--------------------
My YouTube Channel Here

My Rec Takes Here

--- GEAR ---
Ibanez SA08LTD2 BAR
Vox AD50VT
Pod Farm
Line 6 Pod Studio GX
El Cheapo Strat
Dunlop Slide
Korg Toneworks AX5G
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
JeroenKole
post Jul 28 2008, 01:33 PM
Post #2

GMC:er

Group: Members
Member No.: 5.587

Don't know about the AH pickups.

But I do know what the numbers in the name stand for. I think
>300 are (if I'm correct) made in Indonesia and these are the lowest quality of guitars
>300 are made in Korea, these are the medium quality guitars and the guitar part of it is good, the hardware isn't perfect though and the pickups aren't something to write home about.
>1000 are made in Japan, even if it isn't a prestige these guitars are top of the bill and the only reason why you should (in most cases) replace something if it is broken.

I'm not sure about this though, but I do recall some guitarshop employee telling me this.

Personally I would go with a 3something, but if you decide to get one with a toplock you should replace the bolts in it.

+Quote Post
kaznie_NL
post Jul 28 2008, 01:56 PM
Post #3

Experienced Tone Seeker

And what about the possibility (on the SA 120 and the RG) to make the Humbucker parallel, what's the use of that?

--------------------
My YouTube Channel Here

My Rec Takes Here

--- GEAR ---
Ibanez SA08LTD2 BAR
Vox AD50VT
Pod Farm
Line 6 Pod Studio GX
El Cheapo Strat
Dunlop Slide
Korg Toneworks AX5G

+Quote Post
JeroenKole
post Jul 28 2008, 04:24 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 5.587

QUOTE (kaznie_NL @ Jul 28 2008, 02:56 PM) *
And what about the possibility (on the SA 120 and the RG) to make the Humbucker parallel, what's the use of that?

When you switch a humbucker paralel that means that you switch the coils around.

When you look at a humbucker you see that in most cases they look like you have two single coils strapped together.

If, for example, your bridge humbucker picks up the signal with the highest ´single coil´ the other ´single coil´ will cancel the hum.

If you would swith the example paralel, the ´single coil´ that cancels the hum would now pick up the signal and the ´single coil´ that originally picked up the signal will now cancel the hum. Creating a new tone.

But I´m not entirely sure that this is correct, but it is what I understood. Can anyone confirm this?

+Quote Post
blindwillie
post Jul 29 2008, 09:17 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 1.434

QUOTE (JeroenKole @ Jul 28 2008, 02:33 PM) *

>300 are (if I'm correct) made in Indonesia and these are the lowest quality of guitars
>300 are made in Korea, these are the medium quality guitars and the guitar part of it is good, the hardware isn't perfect though and the pickups aren't something to write home about.
>1000 are made in Japan, even if it isn't a prestige these guitars are top of the bill and the only reason why you should (in most cases) replace something if it is broken.

I'm not sure about this though, but I do recall some guitarshop employee telling me this.

Personally I would go with a 3something, but if you decide to get one with a toplock you should replace the bolts in it.

I'm not sure either, but as I understand it only the Prestige line is made in Japan and the RG's in Korea. I might have got it all wrong though.

--------------------

Schecter C1 Hellraiser EMG 81/85, replaced with JB/Jazz (SH4/SH2n) w. coilsplit
Schecter Revenger HB-105, replaced with EMG 81/85
Stratocaster Deluxe Players Noiseless
Ibanez 2550z
Blackstar HT5H, Blackheart BH5H w. BH112, Laney LX35D, Line6 Pod XT, Marshall MS-2
Headphones: Sennheiser RS120

Stay tuned...

+Quote Post
botoxfox
post Jul 29 2008, 09:53 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 1.226

QUOTE (JeroenKole @ Jul 28 2008, 02:33 PM) *

Here's how I understand it:
All prestige RG's are MIJ.
Non prestige bolt-on RG's are MII.
Non prestige neck-thru RGs are MIK.
Non prestige S's <400 are MII.
Non prestige S's 400> and SAS's are MIK
Prestige S's with 22 frets are MIK and 24 fret ones are MIJ
The SA's, SZ(R )'s and GIO's are MIC.

This post has been edited by botoxfox: Jul 29 2008, 09:54 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
kaznie_NL
post Jul 29 2008, 11:18 AM
Post #7

Experienced Tone Seeker

thnx for the info, but sitll my question is unanwsored, how good are the AH pickups?

--------------------
My YouTube Channel Here

My Rec Takes Here

--- GEAR ---
Ibanez SA08LTD2 BAR
Vox AD50VT
Pod Farm
Line 6 Pod Studio GX
El Cheapo Strat
Dunlop Slide
Korg Toneworks AX5G

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th July 2017 - 05:53 AM