Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Multifx?
JVM
post Aug 9 2008, 09:15 AM
Post #1

Learning Roadie

Group: Members
Member No.: 1.984

Is something like a boss gt10/8, vox tonelab or pod a good choice if I just want a unit to power my effects? I will be getting my main tone from my amp as well as a boost pedal, so if possible I'd really like a quality effects unit with all the common effects but minus distortion and drive effects (I don't need them).

I do plan to get a pandora for home practice pretty soon, would it's effects work well enough for recordings/live stuff? I'd like to keep the price under $600 if possible, and I want to be able to mix and match the effects being used, as well as bring them in and out of my chain with ease (by foot?). A reliable a good sounding expression pedal (mostly for wah, but if it could also be used as a volume pedal etc that would be cool) would be great, but I guess not totally necessary.

So, let me recap on my points:

-Sounds good
-Costs under $600
-has most common effects
-does not need to have any distortion, drive, boost, amp modeling (would prefer it didn't to keep things simpler)
-needs to be easy to control and switch between effects in a live situation
-expression pedal with a quality wah sound would be great

Suggestions?

This post has been edited by JVM: Aug 9 2008, 09:23 AM

--------------------
Gear: Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Gibson '67 RI Flying V, Mesa Boogie F-30 112 combo, crazy pedals.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
post Aug 9 2008, 10:45 AM
Post #2

Instructor
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 3.341

Well, you have 2 options:

1. Buy wah, chorus, delay, and other pedals and put them into pedalboard.
2. Buy MultiFX unit, like Boss ME50, or TC GMajor rack with controller. TC is a better option but little expensive one.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Ian Bushell
post Aug 9 2008, 11:21 AM
Post #3

Instructor
Group Icon

Member No.: 5.345

It's totally up to you and depends what sound you going for and style of music you play.
I personally don't like multifx and would go for stomp boxes straight through the amp or FX loop.
The ones that Ivan suggested are perfect!!
Having said that i use a Boss Gt-6 in INERSHA to get all their wack effects in places,
So yeah down to the style you looking to play i suppose.
Also way up the costs of all the single pedals you get on a multifx.
The pedals are more expensive but better quality, multifx is good value for money!

--------------------
I use D'addario and Planet Waves
Video Lessons
Myspace

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
post Aug 9 2008, 11:27 AM
Post #4

Bass & Beginner Instructor
Group Icon

Member No.: 3.410

Well if you don't need distortions and similar effects I strongly suggest you to buy real pedals for effects you want...You will see you don't need many...Put them in a pedalboard and you have a high quality sound.. smile.gif With the rest of money buy any toneport device (for recording) and there you go! smile.gif

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!
My solo and band songs : Keep Going On, Night Vibe, Kad Te Vidim, Susret, Plava Silueta

+Quote Post
JVM
post Aug 9 2008, 05:30 PM
Post #5

Learning Roadie

Hmmm, well. I have a nice delay pedal as well as a chorus/vibrato pedal, a wah and the aforementioned booster. I was hoping to clean up having to use so many pedals on the floor (especially as I want a few others which would just mean more pedals) tongue.gif I also thought about the g-major, but I've heard mixed reviews of it, not working, knobs falling off, you think they're just rare cases? It's not too expensive, if you guys think it's a good unit (now, the gforce is tongue.gif).

This post has been edited by JVM: Aug 9 2008, 05:31 PM

--------------------
Gear: Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Gibson '67 RI Flying V, Mesa Boogie F-30 112 combo, crazy pedals.

+Quote Post
Marcus Siepen
post Aug 9 2008, 08:33 PM
Post #6

Instructor (Blind Guardian)
Group Icon

Member No.: 4.464

I have never heard a bad word about the g-major, so in my opinion this would for sure be an option. Personally I am a big fan of Rocktron, I use the Intellifex and the Xpression, both are very reliable (I bought my Intellifex in 95 and used it ever since, never had a problem) and great sounding. There are for sure some very good sounding stomp boxes too, but I have to say that I don't really like them. I like the fact that I only have to step on one switch on my floor board to get exactly the sound that I want, if you are using several stomp boxes then get used to the thought of doing some step dancing on stage tongue.gif

--------------------
Guitars: various Gibson Les Pauls / Gibson J 45
Amps: Mesa Boogie Tripple Rectifier / Triaxis / 2:90 Poweramp / Rectocabs
Effects: Rocktron Intellifex / Rocktron Xpression
Homepage: www.marcussiepen.com www.blind-guardian.com
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post
audiopaal
post Aug 9 2008, 09:11 PM
Post #7

Competitions Coordinator - Up the Irons
Group Icon

Group: GMC Senior
Member No.: 4.276

QUOTE (Marcus Siepen @ Aug 9 2008, 09:33 PM) *
I have never heard a bad word about the g-major, so in my opinion this would for sure be an option. Personally I am a big fan of Rocktron, I use the Intellifex and the Xpression, both are very reliable (I bought my Intellifex in 95 and used it ever since, never had a problem) and great sounding. There are for sure some very good sounding stomp boxes too, but I have to say that I don't really like them. I like the fact that I only have to step on one switch on my floor board to get exactly the sound that I want, if you are using several stomp boxes then get used to the thought of doing some step dancing on stage tongue.gif

I have to agree, it's easier for me to have a multifx, rather than a lot of stompboxes lying around smile.gif
Although I have a few stompboxes too..

I think I'm gonna try some Rocktron effects in the future, but as for now I'm pretty happy with my Boss GT-10 and Boss VF-1 smile.gif
What's the difference between the Xpression and Intellifex by the way?

+Quote Post
Toni Suominen
post Aug 9 2008, 09:20 PM
Post #8

Instructor
Group Icon

Member No.: 3.434

My friend has a TC Gmajor and when I tested it, it was awesome, and it's definitely gig-worthy! smile.gif

--------------------
Gear:
-PRS Custom 22
-Edwards Les Paul
-PodXT
-Ibanez Acoustic

Check out my lessons and my instructor profile!

My Youtube channel

My Last.FM

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
post Aug 9 2008, 09:39 PM
Post #9

Bass & Beginner Instructor
Group Icon

Member No.: 3.410

QUOTE (JVM @ Aug 9 2008, 06:30 PM) *
Hmmm, well. I have a nice delay pedal as well as a chorus/vibrato pedal, a wah and the aforementioned booster. I was hoping to clean up having to use so many pedals on the floor (especially as I want a few others which would just mean more pedals) tongue.gif I also thought about the g-major, but I've heard mixed reviews of it, not working, knobs falling off, you think they're just rare cases? It's not too expensive, if you guys think it's a good unit (now, the gforce is tongue.gif).

Oh I see, well in that case you can't go wrong with the G-major.....I like having stompboxes though , but multieffects can be easier to control smile.gif

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!
My solo and band songs : Keep Going On, Night Vibe, Kad Te Vidim, Susret, Plava Silueta

+Quote Post
JVM
post Aug 9 2008, 10:43 PM
Post #10

Learning Roadie

Well, I suppose I'll try the g major then tongue.gif I'll also have a couple of stomp boxes as well, boost, maybe an ehx POG... does the G major have an expression pedal option? I saw some video of a guy using it to change his tremolo or something, could it be used for wah?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Marcus Siepen
post Aug 10 2008, 09:55 PM
Post #11

Group Icon

The Xpression is a kind of follow up to the intellifex, which is not produced anymore as far as I know. The Intellifex has the better chorus, the Xpression has an EQ included, both rule wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
JVM
post Aug 10 2008, 10:10 PM
Post #12

Learning Roadie

Marcus, does the Xpression have easy switching of effects and an expression pedal with wah/volume or whatever? I couldn't quite tell from the descriptions I read.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Marcus Siepen
post Aug 11 2008, 09:22 AM
Post #13

Group Icon

what do you mean with easy switching? I use a Rocktron Midimate to get my sounds, and there I can also attach an expression pedal to alter settings in the Xpression or Intellifex. I don't need this though, my sounds and effect settings are programmes and stored, no need to mess around with them during a gig smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
audiopaal
post Aug 11 2008, 10:05 AM
Post #14

Competitions Coordinator - Up the Irons
Group Icon

Group: GMC Senior
Member No.: 4.276

QUOTE (Marcus Siepen @ Aug 10 2008, 10:55 PM) *
The Xpression is a kind of follow up to the intellifex, which is not produced anymore as far as I know. The Intellifex has the better chorus, the Xpression has an EQ included, both rule wink.gif

Thanks for clearing that up smile.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd January 2017 - 06:54 AM