Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Church Piano Music?
leedbreak
post Aug 11 2008, 04:11 AM
Post #1

GMC:er

Group: Members
Member No.: 1.215

I started playing guitar at church. I am new to this and am learning pretty fast how to adapt. Pretty hard going from years of Kirt to church music but hey I am doing it LOL

Our piano player is amazing she can play like none I have played with, but she is what I would call old school church music. She may say she is doing a song in F and I have some trouble making what I play sound great just by playing in F. It is like her version of F, is not really F. Also, I have played with 4 different church piano players and have had the same trouble with them all. But they can all play together just by selecting a key, same with the organ play. he can swtch on the fly and keep up with her, so his system is also the same.

I was wondering if maybe there is a system they all use that I am not aware of. The worse case is that she may decide to switch to Eb in the middle of a song and she tells me she did it but I can't do it in only one take and when we are live I get only one take. I usually try to play lead not chords, since the chords are even harder to hit it seems.

Maybe, I should try a different mode?

When we get rehearsal time and can talk as we go, which is rare since she doesn't need it. I then can write something that goes really well, but on the fly I am in trouble. I am sure I need more theory, but hey, can't hurt to ask.

Any Advice?
TIA

This post has been edited by leedbreak: Aug 11 2008, 04:24 AM

--------------------
- leedbreak

Practice Makes Perfect, only when it is perfect practice :-)

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Moon Boots
post Aug 11 2008, 12:53 PM
Post #2

GMC:er

Member No.: 3.548

By `it's her version of F` what do you mean? If you can find out what she is actually playing then maybe you would have some more clues as to what would sound good.

--------------------

+Quote Post
David Wallimann
post Aug 19 2008, 03:33 PM
Post #3

Instructor

Member No.: 1.439

Is her piano in tune? :-)

She probably means F Major, not F minor. Most guitar players tend to use the minor pentatonic, but when someone tells you they are in F, it means F Major. Could that be the issue?

--------------------
www.youtube.com/Wallimann
www.davidwallimann.com

+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd January 2017 - 10:10 PM