Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Pesky Pinky
Thomas
post Aug 14 2008, 07:13 PM
Post #1

GMC:er

Group: Members
Member No.: 2.300

Well Ive heard about plenty of people having trouble utilizing and mastering the pinky finger, and so far in my playing ive never really had any type of problems with it. Well, now I have. In learning faster licks, especially sweeping type licks, ive hit a roadblock with my pinky finger. As for all other fingers, I have gotten to where they pretty much do what I want, coordination and fretting are right where I think i should be, but for my pinky, the best i can get out of it is a solid chord or slow lead. Once I get any speed with my other fingers, it basically becomes either dead weight or assumes the position of flailing finger, trying to keep up with my others laugh.gif Im not too frustrated with it, but if anyone could help me out Id appreciate it.

--------------------
IPB Image
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
post Aug 14 2008, 11:39 PM
Post #2

Bass & Beginner Instructor
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 3.410

Check out these lessons :

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/solo-guit...inger-work-out/

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/solo-guit...independence-I/

It will take some practice and time for your pinky to gain strength ! Practice chromatic runs and finger independence exercises are you will progress fast!

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!
My solo and band songs : Keep Going On, Night Vibe, Kad Te Vidim, Susret, Plava Silueta

+Quote Post
Daniel Robinson
post Aug 15 2008, 03:46 AM
Post #3

Instructor
Group Icon

Member No.: 4.670

Getting that little bugger to do what you want is not an easy task.

I find for myself at least when i need to speed up and utilize my pinky i change the angle of my hand so i don't get fly away pinky.

Generally speaking when i play normally, i have my hand just about a 90 degree angle to the fretboard. When i speed up (especially descending runs) i turn my hand so its more like 45 degrees

Daniel

--------------------
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
post Aug 15 2008, 11:14 AM
Post #4

Instructor
Group Icon

Member No.: 3.341

With a good focused practice you can overcome pinky issues. Just practice more stuff involving pinky that's all. Possibly you neglected the finger in the past. I recommend Danilo's finger workouts for overcoming these problems.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Thomas
post Aug 15 2008, 09:19 PM
Post #5

GMC:er

Group: Members
Member No.: 2.300

Thanks guys, i did not know there was a little-finger work out lesson, and i will check out Danilo's lessons. In the past couple of days I have just been working with a metronome speeding up licks utilizing and focusing on my pinky, and it has helped a lot. I appreciate the wisdom of the GMC gurus tongue.gif BTW Daniel, the idea of changing hand angle as to make using the pinky easier is really great, never thought to do that and it seems to work when i want to keep my pinky from flying all over the place, it kinda increases "accuracy". I appreciate the help!

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd January 2017 - 11:12 AM