2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Any Advice On How To Make A Backingtrack?
Ivan Milenkovic
post Aug 26 2008, 06:31 PM
Post #21

Instructor
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 3.341

QUOTE (seagull @ Aug 26 2008, 07:12 PM) *
DAW? VST's? Sorry, software noob coming through laugh.gif

Computer is just an old one I assembled myself, but when I get a new one it's gonna be a whole lot better. I am planning on getting some decent recording equipment when I get the money, which shouldn't be long from now as I started working full-time a couple of weeks ago.

laugh.gif

Sorry mate, DAW stands for Digital Audio Workstation which is basically environment where you record, mix, produce and export your music.

You can record audio in DAW, like a guitar or voice, or you can create a MIDI track, that has only notes in it, presented in graphics.

Unlike audio, notes in MIDI are just bits for CPU to read. Then you can assign VST (VirtualStudioTechnology) instrument to that MIDI. VST instrument is basically computer software that can generate audio (by raw generating or playing recorded samples, or combining both).

So if you have a MIDI track that says "C" note, and you assign the VST piano instrument to that track, the piano will play C note.
Or if you have C note and you assign drums to that same MIDI track it will play a kick drum, if you have D note it will play a snare drum. Drums and other sounds can then be mapped, so you can change notes, so you can for example put kick to "D", or snare to "C", the possibilities are as you can imagine infinite.

MIDI file will never sound as good a good ol' audio file, because VST technology is not that advanced at the moment, but in the future it will be the basics of music creation.

So if you wanna start, get a REAPER. It is a free DAW, which means free software for recording, mixing, producing and exporting your music (among other things). Then you try to install some VSTi/s. If you tell me what kind of backing tracks you wanna made I will be glad to tell you what VST's are out there.

Also check out this topic where Andrew so nicely and systematicaly presented different software components involved in making you music.

This post has been edited by Ivan Milenkovic: Aug 26 2008, 06:33 PM

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
seagull
post Aug 26 2008, 07:09 PM
Post #22

GMC:er

Group: Members
Member No.: 1.546

QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Aug 26 2008, 07:31 PM) *
laugh.gif

Sorry mate, DAW stands for Digital Audio Workstation which is basically environment where you record, mix, produce and export your music.

You can record audio in DAW, like a guitar or voice, or you can create a MIDI track, that has only notes in it, presented in graphics.

Unlike audio, notes in MIDI are just bits for CPU to read. Then you can assign VST (VirtualStudioTechnology) instrument to that MIDI. VST instrument is basically computer software that can generate audio (by raw generating or playing recorded samples, or combining both).

So if you have a MIDI track that says "C" note, and you assign the VST piano instrument to that track, the piano will play C note.
Or if you have C note and you assign drums to that same MIDI track it will play a kick drum, if you have D note it will play a snare drum. Drums and other sounds can then be mapped, so you can change notes, so you can for example put kick to "D", or snare to "C", the possibilities are as you can imagine infinite.

MIDI file will never sound as good a good ol' audio file, because VST technology is not that advanced at the moment, but in the future it will be the basics of music creation.

So if you wanna start, get a REAPER. It is a free DAW, which means free software for recording, mixing, producing and exporting your music (among other things). Then you try to install some VSTi/s. If you tell me what kind of backing tracks you wanna made I will be glad to tell you what VST's are out there.

Also check out this topic where Andrew so nicely and systematicaly presented different software components involved in making you music.

Superb reply! That really enlightened me! smile.gif

I wanna make some rock, blues, funk backings that I can improvise over and thereby make some material on my own. smile.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th May 2017 - 08:51 PM