Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The Talking Head On Lessons
RIP Dime
post Aug 27 2008, 04:48 AM
Post #21

GMC:er

Group: Members
Member No.: 862

I personally like the talking, the explanations is what's important to me, understanding what's going on, and how I can use it. The rest of the video is just Muris playing a couple licks slow then fast for like 10 seconds.

--------------------
IPB Image
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Juan M. Valero
post Aug 27 2008, 07:44 AM
Post #22

Instructor
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 2.484

QUOTE (Tuubsu @ Aug 27 2008, 05:25 AM) *
Personally it gets me really frustrated(my therapist adviced me to talk about my feelings...) , I think reading the EXACT SAME thing that Andrew says, is more easy to understand. I thinks it's a little silly because he says the, once again, EXACT SAME thing that is written down... But then again it's just my opinion and I guess 1 or 2 men can't make a difference...

Just adding that although I understand all the people who don't like it I like it because I can improve my pronunciation, so for me is really helpful and it's one of the reason why I try to watch all Muris lessons.
Anyway if I had a bad Internet connection and I MUST wait to see the exercises I will say that I don't like it !! it's very boring to wait half a minute for every video you want to watch. Fortunately now this is not a problem for me 'cos I have a high speed connection.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Jerry Arcidiacon...
post Aug 27 2008, 08:01 AM
Post #23

Instructor
Group Icon

Member No.: 2.464

QUOTE (DeepRoots @ Aug 26 2008, 11:28 PM) *
Personally i love not having to read through all the text- and being able to just sit back and have the audio. Especially in something as long as the Jazz notes explanations- where i have the text for future referrence but can let Andrew do all the work of initially getting the info in my head.

Thank you Deep!
I chose this way because if some member doesn't want to hear all the explanation, he can copy and paste somewhere the text or he can simply skip video #2.

QUOTE (MickeM @ Aug 27 2008, 12:13 AM) *
Useless to some, helpful to others.

fkalich, if you move the left pointy arrow that's above the timeline you can have the section of Muris (in this case) playing reapeat between the arrows. So you don't have to repeat the theory speach all over again.

Repeating is accomplished (for now) by moving the arrow to the right just a fraction to the left.
Hope that helps.

A simple solution, especially with fast connections.

--------------------

::: Main Gear :::

Guitars : Washburn N4 Vintage | Washburn N2 | Washburn WI67Pro | Washburn WG-587 | Washburn EA20B
Amps : Laney GH50L (head) | Laney GS410 & GS212IE (cabinets) | Rocktron PROGAP Ultra (rack preamp) | Rocktron Velocity 150 (power amp) | Marshall VS230 (combo)
FXs : Rocktron Intellifex + custom pedalboard (check my video demo)
Other : Shredneck | Intellitouch PT10 tuner
Picks : Esseti Picks

Software & Recording Gear : Cubase 4 | Overloud TH1 | Mackie Onyx 400F | EZdrummer | Korg Pandora PX4D

-------------------------------------------------------

myspace.com/jerryarcidiacono

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

+Quote Post
audiopaal
post Aug 27 2008, 08:38 AM
Post #24

Competitions Coordinator - Up the Irons
Group Icon

Group: GMC Senior
Member No.: 4.276

QUOTE (Trond Vold @ Aug 27 2008, 04:24 AM) *
I quite like the "talking head". Personally, i dont see anything useless about it. Andrew's spoken comments are short, informative and very clear.

I agree, how is it useless?

Just because you're not interrested, doesn't mean it's useless.
That's just plain silly to state such a thing.

I think it's informative and a good thing to feature in some lessons.
I can also understand that someone doesn't like it if they have no interrest in the theory, but that doesn't make it useless rolleyes.gif
Instead of bashing, try to come up with ideas to make it better.
Maybe have it in it's own video before the lesson so that those who's interrested have the opportunity to watch it smile.gif

Either way I think it's a good feature!

+Quote Post
fkalich
post Aug 27 2008, 09:09 AM
Post #25

Member No.: 1.189

I just learned pentatonic licks intermediate, and just punted the sections, just learned it from the 1st video. Generally with Muris, as he does not put in the real heavy backing, so that is not as big a deal. But on some of these lessons, the backing is pretty thick and this is much more difficult to do, you really do have to listen to the sections. I just don't want this to spread past the Muris boundary personally. I saw someone else was using it, I forget who. Just the way I feel, I don't run the place, there are thousands of others who have been here, even if most want something that I consider a bad idea, I don't run the place. I never watch tv either, clearly my views, while clearly the correct ones, may not be the market views.

I will be in favor of the talking head if we do it like, you know, the do in carnivals, you know, the shooting gallery, where they have those little metal ducks you pick off with a rifle. Maybe we can have a video game gun, and the head can sort of bob around, and we can pop it, and it will go away.

+Quote Post
BodomESP
post Aug 27 2008, 09:13 AM
Post #26

Member No.: 1.470

QUOTE (fkalich @ Aug 27 2008, 04:09 AM) *
...clearly my views, while clearly the correct ones, may not be the market views.

laugh.gif <3 fkalich

+Quote Post
browq
post Aug 27 2008, 09:31 AM
Post #27

Member No.: 1.141

QUOTE (fkalich @ Aug 27 2008, 10:09 AM) *
I saw someone else was using it, I forget who. Just the way I feel, I don't run the place, there are thousands of others who have been here, even if most want something that I consider a bad idea, I don't run the place. I never watch tv either, clearly my views, while clearly the correct ones, may not be the market views.

If you mean this as a joke then some might find it humor. But if you really mean this it only points out your enormous ego. If you dislike the "talking head" you can just use the markers. I'm not saying you shouldn't speak your mind. I am all in favor of that and you did a good thing for giving your opinion. I only think you should do it with some more subtlety

QUOTE (fkalich @ Aug 27 2008, 10:09 AM) *
I will be in favor of the talking head if we do it like, you know, the do in carnivals, you know, the shooting gallery, where they have those little metal ducks you pick off with a rifle. Maybe we can have a video game gun, and the head can sort of bob around, and we can pop it, and it will go away.

completely disrespectfull dry.gif

+Quote Post
DeepRoots
post Aug 27 2008, 09:34 AM
Post #28

Get to da Chopper!
Group Icon

Member No.: 1.374

Okay as some really don't have anything actually worth sharing to add..

As the actual frozen video/pic of andrew in the corner- doesnt add any real value as such (only the actual audio), perhaps there could be a way of having an "audio" button around the text. The video could go on as normal without a wait at the start, and those who like the audio read to them can have that by clicking a button. Perhaps below the video player or something.

Seems like a compromise that would satisfy all- if it is actually doable.

+Quote Post
Fsgdjv
post Aug 27 2008, 10:03 AM
Post #29

Member No.: 1.545

After watching it I have to say that I agree with fkalich. Just make some extra video for explaining the theory or an audio file, that you have to click to hear so it doesn't get in the way.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Chris Evans
post Aug 27 2008, 10:27 AM
Post #30

Learning Tone Guru - Community Coordinator & Moderator
Group Icon

Member No.: 2.860

The spoken explanation was something that was discussed a while back on the forum, I believe Muris wanted to add audio explanation but felt his English wasnt up to par (although it is wink.gif) so Andrew kindly offered to do the voiceover thing for him, personally I think its a great addition, and makes for a more rounded and comprehensive lesson, as Deeproots said, the text is also available to read as well if you wish, however theres always room for improvement and adjustment to make things better for "everyone".

Features that are implemented can often be changed for the better, and maybe somewhere amongst your posts above you are making a valid point? perhaps rather than ranting at the things you just dont like you could use your "clearly" greater ( blink.gif ) intellect to present a possible "sensible" solution to benefit everybody.

Deeproots has offered a reasonable solution, (if its doable), I think that`d work quite nicely for both sides of the fence smile.gif

--------------------
Show us what part of the world you live in and get yourself
ON THE GMC:er Location MAP

+Quote Post
wrk
post Aug 27 2008, 11:31 AM
Post #31

Learning Tone Seeker

Member No.: 723

If the spoken part is placed in front or in one, separated video is depending on the content of the lesson in my opinion. Further i guess, every instructor has a different approach of teaching and with that has chosen a specific structure on purpose.

If the lesson is some kind of etude, workout or something, then there is maybe a lesser need to explain each shape in every single video. But the structure of Muris's lessons often integrates the main content in an musical way within a small, composition-like arrangement. Means, on each bar something is happening which is better explain direct before as in a separated video, to keep the connection close together.

I would like to say it again as i'm afraid Muris and Andrew may consider to change it. Even if it's annoying for someone to load/hear the explanation each time again, the chance to actually listen, read back and understand and by that to reach the goal of the lesson is much higher. I kind of believe that a good teacher has to be a bit annoying sometimes to hit the spot and to get the best out of his students.

smile.gif ... Everybody learns differently, but for me this cookie game works really well - "You want this lick? ... so take a few seconds to understand what this lick is based on". smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
post Aug 27 2008, 01:37 PM
Post #32

Moderation Policy Director
Group Icon

Member No.: 1.167

I never watch tv either, clearly my views, while clearly the correct ones, may not be the market views.

My, my, fkalich, one thing you'll never do is win a popularity contest! Of course knowing you as I do I know that would be an insult to you wink.gif

This is shades of the old fkalich, but you have raised an interesting point as we can all see from the liveliness of this thread. I certainly don't want to spend hours recording voiceovers, and I am sure Muris doesn't want to spend hours writing them if they are of no use to anyone, but it seems the jury is divided here.

Now I'd like to hear your opinion on the workaround that Micke gave - using the repeat function to tune away that annoying damn head. You have been suspiciously silent on that.
  • Did you know about it and discard it, if so why?
  • Is it a surprise to you? If so, does it help?
Do you have a suggested solution for all of this that addresses your need for speed but doesn't detract from the aspects that others have found positive about this? Its easy to carp about things, but I know you are smarter than that and I would be interested to hear any suggestions you have that we can use to make you happier without sacrificing something that others find useful.

You mentioned earlier you were in software? If so, put your money where your mouth is and build us a GMC game such as you describe! If you do, I would be more than happy to donate my head as the target wink.gif

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
kjutte
post Aug 27 2008, 05:07 PM
Post #33

Group: Passive
Member No.: 2.337

QUOTE (fkalich @ Aug 26 2008, 11:15 PM) *
Its less than useless. I like Andrew, but I am not afraid to say when something is useless. Actually worse than useless, it is an impediment. I have been told that before, in software I have engineered. At first you want to defend it, then you realize it is not useful, and just a complication, so you take it out. The principle is called KISS, for "Keep It Simple Stupid".

Regarding it not being an big issue. Well, it will be if the other teachers start using it. It will really slow people down. I mean if you are the type that learns 100 lessons a year, you don't want to fart around with that kind of thing all the time. Especially if it is on lessons where you have subtle rhythm nuances. Such as a lot of Gabriel's stuff. Or the more modern metal stuff. Stuff that has complex rhythms, where you have to listen over and over to get it.

I know you're entitled to your opinion, but this really annoys me.

Why the **** are you here if you don't want to learn?

GAH

Edit:
And hey, come on, you've been playing like 2 years?
Both Muris AND Andrew, with a thousand years of experience think this is useful.
Even if you think it's annoying, you should acknowledge skill+experience.

However, I think you are too arrogant to acknowledge anything.

This post has been edited by kjutte: Aug 27 2008, 05:10 PM

+Quote Post
Caelumamittendum
post Aug 27 2008, 05:18 PM
Post #34

Learning Rock Star

Member No.: 5.298

I'll be on the "head stays" side. I for one find it a lot easier to approach the "reading" of a lesson text much more comfortable when it is read by Andrew meanwhile. Besides, I think I focus more on the details when it is read aloud, where as I might skip a part of it is not read aloud.

If you're only in for the technical side of playing I can see your point as valid, though.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Rooks
post Aug 27 2008, 05:29 PM
Post #35

Member No.: 5.376

I personally really like the explanation, however, I think it should be separated from the video clip; So that the theory audio is like vid no. 1 and the complimenting licks vid. no 2.

I like to hear the same licks many times in a row, but I can hear the theory once and understand.
And with a mediocre connection it is slighty unhandy to skip past the head and wait for loading several times.

Though please do notify, that I am happy with the audio theory.. I think David's way of giving an theory introduction as the first vid is a great solution, even though it's usually shorter than Muris explanation in "Rocking Tune"..

Thanks to the people behind GMC for their hard work. Appreciate it.

Fkalich Using sophisticated arguments doesn't make the contents mature. And as previously stated, criticism is well taken, and one should consider whether things work out or does not. Though respect for other peoples hard work and persons should be implemented in your explicit pittoresque articulate display of your obvious overhuman level of expertise, that entitles you to decide whether things are useful or not for everyone.

edited for typo

This post has been edited by Rooks: Aug 27 2008, 05:31 PM

--------------------

Gear: Guitar Cort EVL X4 , Squier Strat Amp Peavey Valveking 112 50w

+Quote Post
seagull
post Aug 27 2008, 05:31 PM
Post #36

Member No.: 1.546

Come on guys, this is getting silly. We are all mature right? So lets not make this a big thing!

@ Fkalich: You contributed with your opinion, something you have the right to do, and so far nothing has been censored by the staff, so tone down a bit and stop the unnecessary bashing. smile.gif

Personally I could do without the spoken parts of the lessons, but seeing as I'm perfectly fluent in both verbal and written English, that doesn't really help anything, as there are so many nationalities on this site, and it really is different how well people from different parts of the world, read and understand/speak English. Even though it is considered the "official world language".

A guy like Juan Valero, who dares step in the spotlight and admit that his English isn't perfect, does it because he really believes that it will help people understand his intention with his lessons, and how is that for dedication and interest in quality? Pretty great to me! I think he does it really well, and he should not be ashamed.. at all! smile.gif

Now, a guy like Muris obviously is a wuss, as he doesn't have the guts to do the voiceovers on his own lessons........... (laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif, just kidding mate biggrin.gif ) so he gets the ever so friendly Andrew to help him, because he too believes that it will heighten the quality of the lessons!
I think it just goes to show how much effort the instructors put in the lessons, and HOW much they want to teach their students well!

But since the quality of internet connections around the world differs as much as people's English skills, a problem arises between liking and disliking "the talking head".

I see the problem from both sides and I understand both sides, so really what I think would be the best thing is, if the voiceovers could be done on seperate audio-files and included with the backings. That way people can choose to hear the voiceovers, or not! smile.gif

What do you guys think? As I see it, it's the best possible solution for both parts...smile.gif

/Seagull

+Quote Post
Henry Dietzel
post Aug 27 2008, 05:44 PM
Post #37

Instructor (former GMCer Hammerin Hank)
Group Icon

Member No.: 5.018

QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Aug 27 2008, 08:37 AM) *
You mentioned earlier you were in software? If so, put your money where your mouth is and build us a GMC game such as you describe! If you do, I would be more than happy to donate my head as the target wink.gif

I'd be willing to stay a member if that option is introduced laugh.gif tongue.gif

fkalich,
if you're taking requests can we also add a little list like the
emoticon list so we can pick who's head we want to shoot?

I think someone should just poll the idea and majority rules.
That should be a respectable way to resolve it.

This post has been edited by Henry Dietzel: Aug 27 2008, 05:47 PM

--------------------
I have learned a lot, but I still have a lot to learn

Check out my video lessons

+Quote Post
Dexxter
post Aug 27 2008, 06:08 PM
Post #38

Learning Tone Guru

Member No.: 2.196

I think the audio button around the text is a better solution and a really good idea.
I prefer to read the text, but I know many prefer to hear it. I only like audio when there's video and you see the person talking, for example: Some of Pavel's lessons and Kris' 101 lessons. That's the best I think.

So, I vote for audio button idea.

+Quote Post
jacmoe
post Aug 27 2008, 06:11 PM
Post #39

Member No.: 3.432

QUOTE (seagull @ Aug 27 2008, 06:31 PM) *
Come on guys, this is getting silly. We are all mature right? So lets not make this a big thing!

@ Fkalich: You contributed with your opinion, something you have the right to do, and so far nothing has been censored by the staff, so tone down a bit and stop the unnecessary bashing. smile.gif

Gah - I mean, if Fkalich were a member of the forum where I moderate, I would have banned him.
Now, I'd just add him to my ignore list. wink.gif

I believe that if you don't have anything useful and nice to say, don't say a word. smile.gif

'nuff said. dry.gif

--------------------
QUOTE ("Steve Vai")
Start by playing something - a bend, a riff, a scale, a song - very slowly; if you make a mistake, start over; do this over and over, until you can play it flawlessly - and I do mean flawlessly - many times in a row. Next, gradually increase the tempo. Eventually you'll be flailing like a madman.

+Quote Post
kjutte
post Aug 27 2008, 06:16 PM
Post #40

Group: Passive
Member No.: 2.337

+1

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2017 - 05:27 AM