Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The Talking Head On Lessons
sigma7
post Aug 27 2008, 06:21 PM
Post #41

GMC:er

Group: Members
Member No.: 4.917

i dont understand, just get over the talking head if u dont like it, boohoo, it annoys u, so wut? I thinks its pretty awesome haha +1 for talking head

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Eat-Sleep-andJam
post Aug 27 2008, 07:07 PM
Post #42

Member No.: 1.243

It amazes me how out of everyone here at Gmc, there is only one person who doesnt like the feature! rolleyes.gif

Hmm..... dry.gif

--------------------
Join Me On the Lyrics Board !

"Find something worth dying for...

...And live for it"
-The Uncreator

+Quote Post
Jeff
post Aug 27 2008, 07:15 PM
Post #43

Member No.: 706

I don't mind the talking video. Actually, it would be cool if there was an added feature where we could morph Andrew into Kris or something like that. Like the instructor movie posters. (which we need some more of biggrin.gif ).

I'm just happy to have access to a cool site like this. Makes my days much better and in turn I am a happier person!

+Quote Post
Tuubsu
post Aug 27 2008, 07:20 PM
Post #44

Member No.: 2.620

QUOTE (Eat-Sleep-andJam @ Aug 27 2008, 09:07 PM) *
It amazes me how out of everyone here at Gmc, there is only one person who doesnt like the feature! rolleyes.gif

Hmm..... dry.gif

HEY! I said on the first page I don't like it, maybe I said it more "gently" than fkalich.... I hate when people don't hear what I have to say... sad.gif

but talking about that idea that couple of people here said about the separate audio file which you could like click on, I like it...

--------------------
Anyone can learn to play fast, like anyone can learn to type quickly. But not everyone can write a book.
- Yngwie J. Malmsteen

Idols:

Jason Becker (ex-Cacophony, ex-David Lee Roth, Solo)
Marty Friedman (ex-Cacophony, ex-Megadeth, Solo)
Niccolo Paganini (Solo)
Eddie Van Halen (Van Halen....Duh!)
Frederic Chopin (Solo)

+Quote Post
jacmoe
post Aug 27 2008, 07:54 PM
Post #45

Member No.: 3.432

QUOTE (Eat-Sleep-andJam @ Aug 27 2008, 08:07 PM) *

Hmm..... dry.gif

That's because the point was poorly presented (to put it mildly), and therefore the discussion was more about that than the actual issue.

I like the talking head.
And - more importantly - I appreciate the effort behind it.

That said, I'd prefer the individual instructors voices, but realise that not all are eloquent enough English speakers to make it work.
I'd rather have Andrew lending a helping head, than seeing the lesson quality degrade - because of language issues. smile.gif

--------------------
QUOTE ("Steve Vai")
Start by playing something - a bend, a riff, a scale, a song - very slowly; if you make a mistake, start over; do this over and over, until you can play it flawlessly - and I do mean flawlessly - many times in a row. Next, gradually increase the tempo. Eventually you'll be flailing like a madman.

+Quote Post
Matt23
post Aug 27 2008, 08:01 PM
Post #46

Accomplished Tone Master
Group Icon

Group: GMC Wiki:er
Member No.: 3.866

I think the talking head is useful but sometimes if you just want to skip to the guitar bit of the video, it might be better if it wasn't there. But i think its good and i thank Andrew for doing it cos sometimes if theres something important or difficult to understand its easier to get if its spoken because you cant skip over words like you might when reading it.

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
post Aug 27 2008, 09:12 PM
Post #47

Instructor
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 3.341

OMG I just saw this thread. Fkalish I can't believe you wrote that stuff seriously. First few posts I thought you are making a joke.

Yes you have a right to state your opinion, but you did it in a very disrespectful manner to Andrew and Muris. Why couldn't you say something like: OK, I'm having troubles loading the lesson because of speaking of text. Could this somehow be worked out. Instead you name a thread "Talking head", and say stuff that really isn't quite appropriate. Bare in mind that it is Andrew's good will to help instructor with this kind of stuff, and all the effort that he had gone through, him and Muris to make these kind of lessons... I don't know what to say man, you should really work on your human interactions a bit, just a (well intended) suggestion from me.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Henry Dietzel
post Aug 27 2008, 09:36 PM
Post #48

Instructor (former GMCer Hammerin Hank)
Group Icon

Member No.: 5.018

I think everyone's voice should count whether we
all agree or not. However, I think at this point the
discussion is beat to death. I do not know how to
create a poll or I would have done it already.

Can someone post a poll about this please? My thoughts are something like below.

What type of lesson do you enjoy most?

entry spoken video like David's lessons
Voice over in Muris' lessons done by Andrew
101 lessons like Juan
No voice at all

Thank you smile.gif

--------------------
I have learned a lot, but I still have a lot to learn

Check out my video lessons

+Quote Post
Jose Mena
post Aug 27 2008, 09:40 PM
Post #49

Instructor
Group Icon

Member No.: 5.593

QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Aug 27 2008, 04:12 PM) *
OMG I just saw this thread. Fkalish I can't believe you wrote that stuff seriously. First few posts I thought you are making a joke.

Yes you have a right to state your opinion, but you did it in a very disrespectful manner to Andrew and Muris. Why couldn't you say something like: OK, I'm having troubles loading the lesson because of speaking of text. Could this somehow be worked out. Instead you name a thread "Talking head", and say stuff that really isn't quite appropriate. Bare in mind that it is Andrew's good will to help instructor with this kind of stuff, and all the effort that he had gone through, him and Muris to make these kind of lessons... I don't know what to say man, you should really work on your human interactions a bit, just a (well intended) suggestion from me.

I Agree with Ivan here, I could probably see why someone would dislike it, as I am not a patient person myself and have been through similar situations many times, although not in this case, because I have broadband and the video loads quickly. However I don't feel the issue was addressed correctly, I am certain anyway that Kris, Andrew, Muris and whoever else involved are taking this into consideration to make the user happy so that whoever whats to hear the voice can, and whoever doesn't want to hear it doesn't.

--------------------
Check out my Video Lessons
Visit my Instructor Board
Visit MySpace

+Quote Post
jacmoe
post Aug 27 2008, 09:46 PM
Post #50

QUOTE (Henry Dietzel @ Aug 27 2008, 10:36 PM) *
What type of lesson do you enjoy most?

I find that a very difficult question to answer, if I have to choose between the options.

I'd rather not have to choose. wink.gif

I like a high quality, well thought out lesson, where you can feel the effort the instructor put into it. smile.gif

Form doesn't matter here. Content does! laugh.gif

@Ivan:
Well said! smile.gif

--------------------
QUOTE ("Steve Vai")
Start by playing something - a bend, a riff, a scale, a song - very slowly; if you make a mistake, start over; do this over and over, until you can play it flawlessly - and I do mean flawlessly - many times in a row. Next, gradually increase the tempo. Eventually you'll be flailing like a madman.

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
post Aug 27 2008, 09:47 PM
Post #51

Instructor
Group Icon

Member No.: 3.341

Well all in all, I was being honest here, but don't have any bad thoughts at all at you Fkalish. I'm sure you didn't mean to hurt or dissrespect Andrew or Muris intentionally. So my guess is that a poll would be a nice way to settle this stuff and forget about this discussion that is leading nowhere by now.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Henry Dietzel
post Aug 27 2008, 09:48 PM
Post #52

Instructor (former GMCer Hammerin Hank)
Group Icon

Member No.: 5.018

QUOTE (jacmoe @ Aug 27 2008, 04:46 PM) *
I find that a very difficult question to answer, if I have to choose between the options.

I'd rather not have to choose. wink.gif

I like a high quality, well thought out lesson, where you can feel the effort the instructor put into it. smile.gif

Form doesn't matter here. Content does! laugh.gif

@Ivan:
Well said! smile.gif

Ok that was well put. I am done trying to help resolve this issue.

--------------------
I have learned a lot, but I still have a lot to learn

Check out my video lessons

+Quote Post
jacmoe
post Aug 27 2008, 10:07 PM
Post #53

Er, I think we can all agree on the talking head being a good thing, but probably better if one could skip the heady parts.
If that's possible, I think everyone will be happy. Am I right? smile.gif

((I must admit that I find the Talking Head so Monty Pythonish.. But I can live with that! wink.gif ))

--------------------
QUOTE ("Steve Vai")

+Quote Post
JeroenKole
post Aug 27 2008, 10:11 PM
Post #54

Member No.: 5.587

Personally I like the voice overs. I'm not afraid to say that I like Andrew's voice and the fact that what he says is usefull makes it better.

I don't want to start a flame war, or get involved in one. But Fkalich I thought better of you. When I read the original post I thought that you were on some kind of substance. If you are, quit while you still can.

Based on what I saw in the rest of the discussion.

If it is possible an "insert Andrew's explanation" button would be killer. If not I'd rather have the 'Talking Head' rather than not.

Just my two cents

+Quote Post
Eat-Sleep-andJam
post Aug 28 2008, 04:32 PM
Post #55

Member No.: 1.243

QUOTE (Tuubsu @ Aug 27 2008, 10:20 AM) *
HEY! I said on the first page I don't like it, maybe I said it more "gently" than fkalich.... I hate when people don't hear what I have to say... sad.gif

but talking about that idea that couple of people here said about the separate audio file which you could like click on, I like it...

My mistake, but given the chance Tuubsu , I dont think you would have appproached this in the way Fkalich did.

Very Rude and Very Disrespectful.

--------------------
Join Me On the Lyrics Board !

"Find something worth dying for...

...And live for it"
-The Uncreator

+Quote Post
Guitar1969
post Aug 28 2008, 07:29 PM
Post #56

Member No.: 901

Actually I've seen the talking head on a few lessons but was not sure who it was - now I know . I haven't paid much attention to it, but I can see it being helpful to some - especially because some of the instructors have strong accents, and Andrew has a clear voice. I do think it looks a bit cramped on the small video playback screen currently being utilized- We really need to get the ability to go full screen mode on the videos now, especially if the talking head is taking a portion of the playback screen.

--------------------
"Three Chords & The Truth . . ."

+Quote Post
Rooks
post Aug 28 2008, 10:16 PM
Post #57

Member No.: 5.376

I'd like Ivan to do the voiceovers he's got a cool accent.. Andrews English is just too perfect.

--------------------

Gear: Guitar Cort EVL X4 , Squier Strat Amp Peavey Valveking 112 50w

+Quote Post
Fran
post Aug 29 2008, 04:10 PM
Post #58

Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
Group Icon

Group: GMC Senior
Member No.: 3.338

I like the spoken theory introduction as my theory knowledge is quite limited I appreciate this brief intros and they help me to better understand some parts of the lesson. Besides I love talking heads ever since I saw the movie "Zardoz" laugh.gif

Once I have gone through the spoken part I just use the arrows at the bottom to skip it next time, takes 1 second to do so I don't see any problem with that at all, if we like it simple that is simple!

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post
kaznie_NL
post Aug 29 2008, 06:44 PM
Post #59

Experienced Tone Seeker

Group: Passive
Member No.: 3.471

I think Fkalich has a point, but didn't realy bring it in a mature way.... I think he might have incested (I mean the word for cursing on someone....) Andrew. The talking vids are a great step for GMC! Fkalich: maybe Andrew talking and having the text is not realy useful, but this is a good step on the way. Teachers can learn from him and then talk while playing, that would realy help! Like internet tutorials on youtube, where they explain what they do while playing. ATM this is not possible for people like (e.g.) Muris, probably because he thinks his english talking is not as good as Andrew's (no offence Muris tongue.gif ). This is just a step on the way of having 101 lessons. For beginners, these 101 like lessons are very very good. There are lots of lessons without this function, just check those if you don't like the talking vids.

GMC Staff: don't stop with the plan! Just keep going, people talking is very very good, it gives a new dimension. I do think it should be improved, but this is a great step on the way. It's much better then just tab only!

EDIT: I read the point about the slow internet... that's quit a valid point tongue.gif but I think a "Low Quality" button would be better then, if that's possible.

This post has been edited by kaznie_NL: Aug 29 2008, 06:48 PM

--------------------
My YouTube Channel Here

My Rec Takes Here

--- GEAR ---
Ibanez SA08LTD2 BAR
Vox AD50VT
Pod Farm
Line 6 Pod Studio GX
El Cheapo Strat
Dunlop Slide
Korg Toneworks AX5G

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd September 2017 - 06:50 AM