Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Webcam Practice Session
Outlaw2112
post Aug 28 2008, 11:30 PM
Post #1

GMC:er

Group: Members
Member No.: 3.852

I was wondering if someone would like to get together on the webcam and go over stuff to practice... Kinda like a practice group, only smaller and done on the webcam... we could show each other stuff we are working on and practice it..

looking for intermediate level practice sessions and preferably someone close to my time zone... and someone older, so when my girlfriend comes in the room i dont look like michael jackson talking to a minor on the webcam..

but if youre younger feel free to post your interest in this to hook up with someone else

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Emir Hot
post Aug 29 2008, 12:46 AM
Post #2

Instructor
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 5.490

I don't think it's gonna work. I tried 20 different programs and all had at least half a second delay from each other. It's not internet speed issue, it's a codec that can't process it in real time.

--------------------
Check out my <a href="https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/instructor/Emir-Hot" target="_blank">Instructor profile</a>

www.emirhot.com
www.myspace.com/emirhotguitar
www.myspace.com/sevdahmetal

+Quote Post
juangar1992
post Aug 29 2008, 12:55 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 5.537

if its still up, im in houston. im kinda like an intermediate player and im 16

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
post Aug 29 2008, 01:50 AM
Post #4

Instructor
Group Icon

Member No.: 3.341

QUOTE (Emir Hot @ Aug 29 2008, 01:46 AM) *
I don't think it's gonna work. I tried 20 different programs and all had at least half a second delay from each other. It's not internet speed issue, it's a codec that can't process it in real time.

It's not codec mate, it's internet (IP, best effort service, problems of multimedia streaming) nature. Codecs run pretty fast on a PC.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Scott Gentzen
post Aug 29 2008, 02:20 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 1.080

QUOTE (Outlaw2112 @ Aug 28 2008, 06:30 PM) *
looking for intermediate level practice sessions and preferably someone close to my time zone... and someone older, so when my girlfriend comes in the room i dont look like michael jackson talking to a minor on the webcam..

I'm not sure I'd consider myself intermediate yet, but maybe I am. My guitar teacher just went back to school so I'm looking for new stuff to do. But I'm kinda local anyway. Shrug. Not sure if that helps or hurts the webcam idea. I'd like to see it work sometime though.

I should probably pick an easier song to learn so I can at least say I know a whole song. tongue.gif

Network latency is a tough thing to deal with. I'd like to see someone figure out how to do it well. I think there's a couple websites out there in the world for musicians to get together on but I don't think any of them are up to live playing yet.

--------------------
Guitars: ESP Semi-Hollow Eclipse, 1984 Ibanez Roadstar RS440, Peavey T-60, Daisy Rock Rock Candy Custom
Amps: Peavey Transformer 112, Epiphone Valve Jr head with custom 2x12 cab
Pedals: Boss TU-2, Budda Bud-Wah, Chuck Collins Harmonic Percolator clone

+Quote Post
Scott Gentzen
post Aug 29 2008, 02:46 AM
Post #6

QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Aug 28 2008, 08:50 PM) *
It's not codec mate, it's internet (IP, best effort service, problems of multimedia streaming) nature. Codecs run pretty fast on a PC.

Well, depending on the computer, it can be the codec. You have to convert that video stream somehow...depending on how well your CPU's handling it, you'll get some delay there before you even you start sending it down the wire. One of my laptops video lags a bit before I even send it out.

--------------------
Guitars: ESP Semi-Hollow Eclipse, 1984 Ibanez Roadstar RS440, Peavey T-60, Daisy Rock Rock Candy Custom

+Quote Post
Outlaw2112
post Aug 29 2008, 03:13 AM
Post #7

QUOTE (Scott Gentzen @ Aug 29 2008, 02:20 AM) *
I'm not sure I'd consider myself intermediate yet, but maybe I am. My guitar teacher just went back to school so I'm looking for new stuff to do. But I'm kinda local anyway.

Kinda local, youre about 30 minutes from me...

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
post Aug 29 2008, 01:15 PM
Post #8

Instructor
Group Icon

QUOTE (Scott Gentzen @ Aug 29 2008, 03:46 AM) *
Well, depending on the computer, it can be the codec. You have to convert that video stream somehow...depending on how well your CPU's handling it, you'll get some delay there before you even you start sending it down the wire. One of my laptops video lags a bit before I even send it out.

I agree, on a weaker laptop codec can produce delay, but again, internet latency is a much bigger problem. Codec lag can be solved relatively easily, by getting a new PC. Every today PC has no problems running the codec in real time.

--------------------

+Quote Post
kjutte
post Aug 29 2008, 08:29 PM
Post #9

Group: Passive
Member No.: 2.337

I do this all the time, and internet is surely not a jamspace.

It works like this:
Play some, listen some, learn some, teach some.

+Quote Post
Outlaw2112
post Aug 30 2008, 07:23 PM
Post #10

Just tried it today and it works fine... I guess you just cant play at the same time, but it works

--------------------

+Quote Post
Outlaw2112
post Aug 30 2008, 07:55 PM
Post #11

we used skype and everything works fine

--------------------

+Quote Post
mattacuk
post Aug 30 2008, 07:58 PM
Post #12

Lets go fishing!
Group Icon

Group: GMC Senior
Member No.: 1.001

QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Aug 29 2008, 01:50 AM) *
It's not codec mate, it's internet (IP, best effort service, problems of multimedia streaming) nature.

Actually its the transport layer protocol "UDP" which is best effort, tongue.gif tongue.gif wink.gif biggrin.gif

--------------------
mysql> SELECT * FROM master_name WHERE ((firstname = 'Paul') AND (lastname = 'Gilbert'));

"The Fundimental Difference between Paul Gilbert and Buckethead is that Paul Explores the Good side of the force, while Buckethead Explores the Dark Side of the Force" :)

+Quote Post
Scott Gentzen
post Aug 30 2008, 09:46 PM
Post #13

I was wrong. It works.

I figured that since I'm not too far away from Outlaw2112 that it would be easy to do a phone call and set up the webcam session with the phone as a backchannel in case something happened.

It worked pretty well as long as we weren't trying to play together. There was lag, but not much. With some refinement, it could probably be better, I think. Not sure how well it'd work giong overseas though.

We used Skype to handle the session. I think we have the same webcam..the Quickcam Pro 9000.

I'm not sure whether it's the Logitech software or Skype, but it was having some trouble with handling the difference in volume between my talking and my playing. It kept throttling the volume down as I played, so I had to manually bring it up a couple of times. I was playing through my EVJ at the time though. Next time I'll bring the Peavey back out so I can get a Master Volume into play to even things out.

Also, on my end, I was struggling with Skype's auto echo and noise cancellation. Audio got choppy for a while. Partly probably because of how close the speakers were to the mic. Going to experiment this week. Might have to switch up to headphones. Might try bringing the AT3035 in on the call and see if that helps.

Video quality was a little iffy at times. Could see what fret his fingers were on, but not the strings so clearly. Likely Skype's compression. Need to see if I can improve resolution without increasing lag.

In my Skype session, the window that showed my video feed was really small so it was hard to make sure I had the whole guitar in the shot.

I was running my side from a laptop on battery. Don't do that. I killed the battery in an hour. Plug it in. biggrin.gif

There's probably some more tweaks and improvements that could be done that I don't remember at the moment. Will post them as they come up. Going to give it a try again in a couple of weeks.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Outlaw2112
post Aug 30 2008, 10:10 PM
Post #14

It was probably hard to see my strings because they are black strings and my fretboard is black too... I didnt think about that til you said something in here

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
post Aug 31 2008, 12:57 PM
Post #15

Instructor
Group Icon

QUOTE (mattacuk @ Aug 30 2008, 08:58 PM) *
Actually its the transport layer protocol "UDP" which is best effort, tongue.gif tongue.gif wink.gif biggrin.gif

IP, Internet network protocol is the one that provides best effort service to all datagrams. UDP is just a (not very effective) protocol suitable for multimedia streaming that is running on top of it.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th March 2017 - 12:52 PM