Help With My Guitar...
chrisn
Aug 30 2008, 05:36 PM
GMC:er
Hi all, wonder if I could get a little help,

I have a 62' bound edge jap Telecaster with klusion tuners. There seems to be a problem with high E string, when I play an open D chord for example, the string is making a noise as if I'm pushing down on the string and pushing it just off the fretboard. I'm not sure what the problem is.

Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Jose Mena
Aug 30 2008, 06:02 PM
Instructor
Are you pushing it off the fretboard?, or it is just buzzing on the 2nd fret 1st string, if it is fret buzz it is probably because the 3rd or 4th fret a little high, raising the strings at the bridge a little might eliminate the problem.

If the string is coming of the fretboard, it might be that the neck is not perfectly aligned with the strings, I had a guitar with that problem, it was a strat, I loosened the screws of the neck and applied some force till the strings perfectly aligned and re-tightened the screws.

I hope this is of some help

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Check out my Video Lessons
Visit my Instructor Board
Visit MySpace

+Quote Post
Matt23
Aug 30 2008, 08:11 PM
Accomplished Tone Master
I think this very unlikely the problem for you, but when i had my neck pickup raised a bit too high, on the 24th and 23rd frets it would do this as the string was touching the pickup.

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Aug 31 2008, 12:50 PM
Instructor
Can you post some close pictures of the buzzing place, like from side, top, and the picture of the strings on the guitar from the top?

You may have to do a setup. Was this problem appearing before as well?

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Marcus Siepen
Aug 31 2008, 12:53 PM
Instructor (Blind Guardian)
Some pics might help indeed, but so far I also guess that the string might either have to be set a bit higher or the neck could be adjusted a bit.

--------------------
Guitars: various Gibson Les Pauls / Gibson J 45
Amps: Mesa Boogie Tripple Rectifier / Triaxis / 2:90 Poweramp / Rectocabs
Effects: Rocktron Intellifex / Rocktron Xpression
Homepage: www.marcussiepen.com www.blind-guardian.com
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post
chrisn
Aug 31 2008, 04:48 PM
QUOTE (Marcus Siepen @ Aug 31 2008, 12:53 PM) *
Some pics might help indeed, but so far I also guess that the string might either have to be set a bit higher or the neck could be adjusted a bit.

Hi, Cheers everyone,

I'll try and get some pics up however looking at it there does not seem to be anything obviously wrong, I've had it back about a month and a half after getting it professionally set up.

+Quote Post
Marcus Siepen
Aug 31 2008, 05:28 PM
Instructor (Blind Guardian)
hmmm, if it was well done that the setup should not be the problem... well, maybe the pics will help us to diagnose the problem.

--------------------
Guitars: various Gibson Les Pauls / Gibson J 45
Amps: Mesa Boogie Tripple Rectifier / Triaxis / 2:90 Poweramp / Rectocabs
Effects: Rocktron Intellifex / Rocktron Xpression
Homepage: www.marcussiepen.com www.blind-guardian.com

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Aug 31 2008, 05:40 PM
Instructor
It could be that guitar tech fault, but again, with no pics, we can't really tell you a lot.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Daniel Robinson
Aug 31 2008, 06:21 PM
Instructor
I agree with the others pictures might help us diagnose the problem. It could be several things from neck adjustment, height adjustment it could even be a gouge in the nut which is lowering the string from the tuner side of the neck, i had a guitar that happend with i had to replace the nut.

Daniel

--------------------

+Quote Post
wrk
Aug 31 2008, 06:47 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
Did i understood you right that the noise only appears when you play F# (2nd fret, high E string) ? Maybe try to play the same note on the B string (7th fret). If the noise appears as well it could be that something starts to vibrate on your guitar ... a loose screw for example.

To help you to locate the problem, a sound file, or even better a video could be a good idea. I'm afraid photos will only be helpful, if the problem is obviously visible.

+Quote Post
kjutte
Aug 31 2008, 06:59 PM
QUOTE (chrisn @ Aug 30 2008, 06:36 PM) *
Hi all, wonder if I could get a little help,

I have a 62' bound edge jap Telecaster with klusion tuners. There seems to be a problem with high E string, when I play an open D chord for example, the string is making a noise as if I'm pushing down on the string and pushing it just off the fretboard. I'm not sure what the problem is.

Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance.

I bet your action is too low.

+Quote Post
chrisn
Aug 31 2008, 07:56 PM
Here's an audio Clip, Attached File  string_demo.mp3 ( 4.4MB ) Number of downloads: 288

It's not actually over 3 mins something went wrong with the Pro Tools, anyway

The first three notes are F# then three notes of G then E at the 12th fret, this is then repeated and then I play the open string four times

You can hear it best on the G note but I'm not sure it comes across very well

See what you guys think

Thanks

+Quote Post
wrk
Aug 31 2008, 09:34 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
Sounds like normal string buzz to me ... but a lot, as it's over the whole string. Is the B string ok or do you have a similar noise as well?

On a Telecaster you should be able to rise the action of the E string on the bridge. There are two little screws. At first use only the screw outside of the E string. Like this you rise the E string more as the B string. Don't know if this will be enough.
Did you change lately to a thinner set of strings? Maybe you have to adjust the truss rod as well.

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Aug 31 2008, 09:51 PM
Instructor
Have you changed teh gauge of the strings, or action after you had you guitar setup a month a go? Did you change anything at all on the guitar?

--------------------

+Quote Post
chrisn
Aug 31 2008, 09:58 PM
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Aug 31 2008, 09:51 PM) *
Have you changed teh gauge of the strings, or action after you had you guitar setup a month a go? Did you change anything at all on the guitar?

I've changed nothing, I bought the guitar, then a week later put in into the same shop I bought it from to get it set up. I'd imagine they would have changed the strings then but pretty sure they would have kept the same gauge...

+Quote Post
Daniel Robinson
Sep 1 2008, 10:00 AM
Instructor
Doesnt sound like a high fret, few things to check very carefully for.

Use a magnifying glass of some sort and check the saddle for that string, make sure you dont see any burr's on it.

Secondly, check the nut on that same string, see if you see any gouges, or if there is an inordinate amount of space around where the string sits.

As someone else mentioned check that all your hardware is tight on the guitar, check all screws bolts and hex nuts make sure they are snug.

Daniel

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 03:21 PM