Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Anyone Had Experienced With These Tuner Heads?
Ajmurrell
post Sep 9 2008, 04:23 PM
Post #1

Learning Tone Master

Group: Members
Member No.: 5.702

Ok, first things first, I'm annoyed. Mainly at myself, because I've done something stupid AGAIN.

Although I love my new guitar, I keep getting stuck with the new style of tuner heads. I'm not sure if they're common or not, I wonder if this style is mainly used on vintage replica guitars...

So they look like this: http://audiozone.dk/images/gotoh/guitar-go...r-fender-05.jpg

I don't have the malmsteen version of the guitar, but these are the same tuning heads I have and they use a kind of thread style locking I suppose.

Why I keep getting stuck is because of how I presume you string this style of tuner head by cutting the string to length BEFORE tuning to pitch. Unlike most guitar tuners which have an eye to poke the string through, it seems you have to thread the end of the string down into the tuner head before tightening... So naturally, I keep cutting the string too short = ruined string!

GRRR..

Now I'm not sure if its just me being a "fool", for want of a ruder word, or quite a common annoyance with this style of tuner head but it seems to happen every time I re-string this guitar!!

Also I find If the string is cut too long, and you try to wind the string, you can end up dishaping too much of it so when you cut it it becomes too short... And again ruin the string!

Am I doing something incredibly stupid?! Or is this how the tuner head works and I'm just messing it up? Or is it common to have this problem and I shouldn't feel so ashamed to mention it??

Now I agree a solution might be to just go down to the guitar store and just replace the string I've messed up, but I order mine online as currently am home bound due to an anxiety disorder... So unless I order multiple string sets online each time, I end up having no guitar to play for a couple of days! Grr...

Can you tell I'm annoyed? dry.gifmad.gif

This post has been edited by Ajmurrell: Sep 9 2008, 04:24 PM

--------------------
GMC Travel Agent, at your service.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Xuestor
post Sep 9 2008, 05:24 PM
Post #2

GMC:er

Member No.: 29

I had those kinda tunerheads, and yes, they are very annoying smile.gif What I used to do, (if remembered correctly) was that I cut the string about 2-3 inches too long, and from there I inserted the end in the hole, and then started winding it up. This is the only way to do it, as I know of anyways.... Good luck

--------------------
Gear:
Epi LP with SD SH-2/SD SH-6
Gibson Custom Shop Les Paul Standard VOS Bourbon burst
Gibson Les Paul Classic Antique Vintage Sunburst
Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded Tobacco burst
Fender Stratocaster Antigua with Stan Hinesley Karma/ Stan Hinesley EXP/ Dimarzio Protrack
Jem 7VWH
Fender CD160NT 12-string
Ibanez AW40NT 6-string
Martin 000X1 6-string
Hughes & Kettner Switchblade Head with 2*12 Celestion Vintage 30's Cab

Grammatic Professional auf Schweden

+Quote Post
fatb0t
post Sep 9 2008, 05:44 PM
Post #3

GMC:er

Member No.: 3.373

My fathers old 70s strat has these...They're a serious pain to re string.... I could never restring it properly, I'd love to see what other peoples advice is...

+Quote Post
Ajmurrell
post Sep 10 2008, 12:39 AM
Post #4

Learning Tone Master

Member No.: 5.702

QUOTE (Xuestor @ Sep 9 2008, 05:24 PM) *
I had those kinda tunerheads, and yes, they are very annoying smile.gif What I used to do, (if remembered correctly) was that I cut the string about 2-3 inches too long, and from there I inserted the end in the hole, and then started winding it up. This is the only way to do it, as I know of anyways.... Good luck

Glad its not just me doing something stupid!!

--------------------
GMC Travel Agent, at your service.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd September 2017 - 03:50 PM