Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Best Fingering Of First Position A Major Chord
Guitar1969
post Sep 16 2008, 05:33 AM
Post #1

GMC:er

Group: Members
Member No.: 901

I know this may sound lame, but I am curious how everybody fingers the open A major chordchord , as well as the A form barred major chords(5th string root). I originally learned from a berkley book to form the A major open chord, with the 1 2 3 fingers all in a row on the D G B strings respectively(From low strings to high), and the 5th string barre chords with the 2 3 4 fingers on the D G B strings, but to this day this is really difficult to form the A major for me, in that my 3 fat fingers in a row like this can't fit well in the second fret, and moving it up the neck where the fret widths are narrower . . . forget it. I have a hard time getting each string to ring clearly this way, and usually just play an A5 version now instead.

I have also seen different ways to finger this as well, such as fingers 2 1 3 on D G B respectively, and even using the 2nd finger to cover all three of these strings(Like you do on an open F major). So my question is what is the most popular/common way and is there any recommendations on what I can do about this, as the way I am doing it now is not working.

Thanks,

michael

This post has been edited by Guitar1969: Sep 16 2008, 05:34 AM

--------------------
"Three Chords & The Truth . . ."
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ian Bushell
post Sep 16 2008, 09:12 AM
Post #2

Instructor
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 5.345

QUOTE (Guitar1969 @ Sep 16 2008, 06:33 AM) *
I know this may sound lame, but I am curious how everybody fingers the open A major chordchord , as well as the A form barred major chords(5th string root). I originally learned from a berkley book to form the A major open chord, with the 1 2 3 fingers all in a row on the D G B strings respectively(From low strings to high), and the 5th string barre chords with the 2 3 4 fingers on the D G B strings,

That's the way i play an A major chord, when it comes to the bar shape i play it as you've described or bar the d, g and b strings with my third or fourth finger.
The con to plying the chord shape with the 3rd or 4th finger bar is that you lose the 5th interval on the high e string, or is very difficult to get the note to sound cleanly with the barred 3rd/4th finger muting the high e string.

Hope that helps:)

--------------------
I use D'addario and Planet Waves
Video Lessons
Myspace

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
post Sep 16 2008, 11:06 AM
Post #3

Moderator - low level high stakes
Group Icon

Group: GMC Senior
Member No.: 2.194

Fingering can depend a bit on what the previous and next chords are - more so the former as often your fingers will already be in a particular orientation and so might 'lend' themselves to then going to a particular fingering for the 'A', or from the 'A' to the next chord.

Generally though I'd go with Ian's rationale though.

Cheers,
Tony

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
post Sep 16 2008, 01:05 PM
Post #4

Moderation Policy Director
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 1.167

213 is what I use - that way your 1 finger doesn't move when you change to a D, which is commonly played along with an A, and you slide it down one fret for an E which is also commonly played with an a.

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
Chris Evans
post Sep 16 2008, 01:11 PM
Post #5

Learning Tone Guru - Community Coordinator & Moderator
Group Icon

Group: GMC Senior
Member No.: 2.860

I play a barre chord like you`ve described with 2,3 & 4 fingers but an open A (now you mention it laugh.gif) I have always played with just fingers 1&2 with finger number 2 freting the g & B string never given me any problems this way smile.gif

--------------------
Show us what part of the world you live in and get yourself
ON THE GMC:er Location MAP

+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th March 2017 - 05:50 PM