> Practicing Solos And Songs, Need a little help
-Zion-
post Sep 21 2008, 08:17 PM
Post #1

Learning Roadie

Group: Members
Member No.: 5.141

Hi everyone.

So before my vacation I got tired of my practice schedule, and on my trip I heard a lot of Guns 'n' Roses.
I heard from a lot of you that learning songs is a way to get past the "tiredness" that is your practice routine, so upon my return I decided to learn some of Slash' solos.

Now, I do not know a lot of scales. In fact I only know the Minor pentatonic and the Blues (very well) and the Major pentatonic (not so well. Same as minor but I haven't practiced with it so much yet)

I know that Slash uses all of these scales, as well as the Natural Minor, Mixalydion (spelling?) mode and the harmonic minor scale.

I have already begun learning some of the easier solos, but my question is:
Should I continue learning these without any knowledge of the scales, or should I continue practicing and while doing so, try to put the notes in the correct scale and thus learn the scales this way around?

I have already gained a lot of knowledge on the major pentatonic and it's use through "heavens door" solo, so this is good, but can I really learn all the scales this way?

Thank you
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Rated Htr
post Sep 21 2008, 08:35 PM
Post #2

Experienced Rock Star

Member No.: 3.056

Well don't know about others, but I think you should first visualize what you're playing...See in what key the solo is, than which scales does it use...When you're learning a solo, you are learning some licks as well that you can apply, as well as scale knowledge that you could use to jam. I think you're 1 or the other question shouldn't be either way, I think you should learn the patterns of the scales to gain knowledge and learn the licks of the solos to learn how to use those patterns.

--------------------
Currently Practicing

Rhythm: Finnish Power Metal III: Nightwish
Legato: Ben's Land Of Legato
Alternate Picking: Alternate Picking Workout #5
Chords: Chord Melody Technique

+Quote Post
Jose Mena
post Sep 22 2008, 06:40 AM
Post #3

Instructor
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 5.593

It is great to see that people are still using Slash's solos to learn, the truth is they were amazing, and it was what got me started in lead guitar, when I hear a Guns n Roses solo again I remember why I wanted to play the guitar. My advice will be to learn the scales you are playing, but you said you already know Minor, Major and blues, just add 2 more notes to the major and you have the whole scale, same with minor. this you could probably understand everything slash is doing, if he plays an off note, listen to the chord progression and try to figure out why it sounds good. This is what works for me.

--------------------
Check out my Video Lessons
Visit my Instructor Board
Visit MySpace

+Quote Post
-Zion-
post Sep 22 2008, 07:21 AM
Post #4

Learning Roadie

I think Slash' solos are amazing.. Very memorable..

I have, more or less already learned the "knocking on heavens door" solos. I thought it would be a good solo to begin with, but before moving on i will take your advice and learn the scales and then try to cut down the solos into the scales and figure out how and why he uses them.

Thanx for the advice.

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
post Sep 22 2008, 01:06 PM
Post #5

Instructor
Group Icon

Member No.: 5.892

QUOTE (-Zion- @ Sep 21 2008, 09:17 PM) *
Hi everyone.

So before my vacation I got tired of my practice schedule, and on my trip I heard a lot of Guns 'n' Roses.
I heard from a lot of you that learning songs is a way to get past the "tiredness" that is your practice routine, so upon my return I decided to learn some of Slash' solos.

Now, I do not know a lot of scales. In fact I only know the Minor pentatonic and the Blues (very well) and the Major pentatonic (not so well. Same as minor but I haven't practiced with it so much yet)

I know that Slash uses all of these scales, as well as the Natural Minor, Mixalydion (spelling?) mode and the harmonic minor scale.

I have already begun learning some of the easier solos, but my question is:
Should I continue learning these without any knowledge of the scales, or should I continue practicing and while doing so, try to put the notes in the correct scale and thus learn the scales this way around?

I have already gained a lot of knowledge on the major pentatonic and it's use through "heavens door" solo, so this is good, but can I really learn all the scales this way?

Thank you

Hey Zion here is my take on this...

It's great that you are learning solos that you love to listen. That will definitely keep you going in music, you will make progress and certainly learn a lot about your favorite artists.
Having said all of this I think you should implement couple of things when learning new material:

1) Learn the solo and break it down into LICKS or MELODIES you like the most
2) Take these melodies and play them at different tempo (slow medium fast very fast)
3) Transpose these licks in other keys ( move it up by half step/one fret or use another interval formula like min 3rds, perfect 4ths etc)
4) Try to analyze melody against the chords/harmony so that you can create your own licks in future in that similar manner.
5) Apply different rhythm to the licks you learned!

By doing all the things mentioned you will have a lot of fun from only one solo or melodic idea! Imagine that, everything you learn you can really learn from and implement it in your own style of playing in your original way.
This will also help you to improve your playing, improve your rhythm and melody skills and really make you analyze your own style of playing.

One last thing to mention - Theory and Harmony is important. Study theory and harmony as much as you can because it will help you to understand music rules and why certain things work better than others. It will also boost your compositional and improvisational skills and overall you will have a full grasp of whats happening in music.

I hope this helped man.

Thanks

P.S. My first solo I learned was G'N'R Knocking on the heavens door !!! I use to play Slash like crazy biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
-Zion-
post Sep 22 2008, 01:35 PM
Post #6

Learning Roadie

fantastic. I will be sure to try and implement all of the great advice you have given me..

Thanks a lot.. biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
post Sep 22 2008, 02:04 PM
Post #7

Instructor
Group Icon

Member No.: 5.892

QUOTE (-Zion- @ Sep 22 2008, 02:35 PM) *
fantastic. I will be sure to try and implement all of the great advice you have given me..

Thanks a lot.. biggrin.gif

Great man , very happy to hear that.
Once you get going you will see it will do wonders for your improvement.

I look forward to hear your experience with these things.

Thanks man smile.gif

This post has been edited by Pedja Simovic: Sep 22 2008, 02:06 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st October 2017 - 06:51 PM