Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Shredding, i need ur help!
resilientguitari...
post Sep 25 2008, 05:08 PM
Post #1

GMC:er

Group: Members
Member No.: 5.954

Now this may be slightly breaking the code of the chill out forum, but i just have to ask about guitar something. I am trying to learn how to shred and took some of Dahls lessons on shredding. they helped a lot. but i still am not all the fast. i am fine on one string or two string but not so good all up and down the neck biggrin.gif. every ones dream. what i need help with is some excersises on what i should practice for shredding. thanks!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
superize
post Sep 25 2008, 05:09 PM
Post #2

Ultimate Tone Guru
Group Icon

Group: Student Instructor
Member No.: 2.410

QUOTE (resilientguitarist @ Sep 25 2008, 06:08 PM) *
Now this may be slightly breaking the code of the chill out forum, but i just have to ask about guitar something. I am trying to learn how to shred and took some of Dahls lessons on shredding. they helped a lot. but i still am not all the fast. i am fine on one string or two string but not so good all up and down the neck biggrin.gif. every ones dream. what i need help with is some excersises on what i should practice for shredding. thanks!

Try Pavels Alternate picking excercises they really helped me improve my AP.......

--------------------
My Gear

Ibanez RG
Jackson js30 warrior
jackson rr24
Line 6 Spider III amp
Line 6 pod xt live
Washburn acoustic

Youtube Account
My bands Myspace

+Quote Post
mattacuk
post Sep 25 2008, 05:12 PM
Post #3

Lets go fishing!
Group Icon

Group: GMC Senior
Member No.: 1.001

May i ask how long you have been practicing? It does take years to become a master shredder though. Practice as many shred exercises as you can, practice them slowly and cleanly for many months, and build up your speed very gradually smile.gif

--------------------
mysql> SELECT * FROM master_name WHERE ((firstname = 'Paul') AND (lastname = 'Gilbert'));

"The Fundimental Difference between Paul Gilbert and Buckethead is that Paul Explores the Good side of the force, while Buckethead Explores the Dark Side of the Force" :)

+Quote Post
resilientguitari...
post Sep 25 2008, 05:45 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 5.954

QUOTE (mattacuk @ Sep 25 2008, 05:12 PM) *
May i ask how long you have been practicing? It does take years to become a master shredder though. Practice as many shred exercises as you can, practice them slowly and cleanly for many months, and build up your speed very gradually smile.gif

ive been practicing for two to two and a half years now. but i take guitar very seriously and would say i am pretty advanced. i am just planning on improving my shredding gradually i am not expecting an overngiht success biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
mattacuk
post Sep 25 2008, 06:18 PM
Post #5

Lets go fishing!
Group Icon

Group: GMC Senior
Member No.: 1.001

Sounds to me like you have the attitude to suceed in your goals smile.gif Be sure to check out some of Muris's alternate picking etudes as they can really help to build up your technique wink.gif

--------------------
mysql> SELECT * FROM master_name WHERE ((firstname = 'Paul') AND (lastname = 'Gilbert'));

"The Fundimental Difference between Paul Gilbert and Buckethead is that Paul Explores the Good side of the force, while Buckethead Explores the Dark Side of the Force" :)

+Quote Post
fatb0t
post Sep 25 2008, 06:43 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 3.373

Do you use a metronome? Do you know the modes of the major and harmonic scale? Do you know time signatures? Do you know the difference between an 8th note and a 16th note? 16th note triplets and 6 tuplets? Ect ect?

Theory is required to be a shredder as well as patience technique development and fun!

+Quote Post
Fsgdjv
post Sep 25 2008, 08:31 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 1.545

QUOTE (fatb0t @ Sep 25 2008, 07:43 PM) *
Do you use a metronome? Do you know the modes of the major and harmonic scale? Do you know time signatures? Do you know the difference between an 8th note and a 16th note? 16th note triplets and 6 tuplets? Ect ect?

Theory is required to be a shredder as well as patience technique development and fun!

What is the difference between 16th note triplets and 6 tuplets? I know what a 16'th note triplet is but I've always thought that people meant that when they said 6-tuplets, since it sounds like it's 6 notes per beat.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
post Sep 25 2008, 08:34 PM
Post #8

Instructor
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 3.341

QUOTE (resilientguitarist @ Sep 25 2008, 06:08 PM) *

Try my modes workshop part 1 lesson, it has three note per string shredding patterns, and alternate picking. The most common notes used in shredding are triplets, specially 16note ones.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Sami
post Sep 25 2008, 08:36 PM
Post #9

Learning Rock Star

Member No.: 3.491

Another thing that made me faster is just starting god awfully slow. Make sure you have control of the technique you are using be it Alternate picking or economy picking. A big problem i had before is that when i speed up i would economy pick with out noticing, making me lose my synchronization. Being a HUGE fan of paul gilbert, when it comes it fast scalar runs, i purely AP them. So choose what desired effected you want at the moment and have control over it. Having control is what separates a bad shredder from a good one.
Oh and as mattacuck said, it takes time. But there are some legato licks that are almost instantly give you a shred effect, great for building tension!
Good luck, im traveling on the same road as you! smile.gif

--------------------
QUOTE (OrganisedConfusion @ Jun 10 2008, 01:38 PM) *
Crysis kicked arse. Gears of War unfortunately I thought was as good as wiping cottage cheese on a cat's head

Hahahaha just imagine the cat hahahah

QUOTE (fkalich @ May 3 2009, 08:01 PM) *
The thing about being really stupid, is that there are a zillion ways to be a moron. There are usually several ways to be intelligent, given a situation, but it is a small finite number. But there are always a zillion ways to be to blithering idiot. So finding a new way to have the intellect of an artichoke is nothing to be proud of really, it is easy to do.

So true... To bad im still an artichoke haha

+Quote Post
fatb0t
post Sep 25 2008, 08:45 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 3.373

QUOTE (Fsgdjv @ Sep 25 2008, 03:31 PM) *
What is the difference between 16th note triplets and 6 tuplets? I know what a 16'th note triplet is but I've always thought that people meant that when they said 6-tuplets, since it sounds like it's 6 notes per beat.

yeah but you count them differently..unless I'm mistaken you accent them differently... Both are 6 notes per beat

+Quote Post
Mark.
post Sep 25 2008, 09:02 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 3.764

I always used Pavels Alternate Picking 4 lessons for alternate picking ( and I still do), really helped me developing 3 note per string ideas and it made me way faster. When I started practicing it I could play it at 60 bpm or something and not very clean, now I can play it on like 130 ~140 bpm but it took me more then a year to get to that speed. But I'm happy to have spended the time with my best friend Mr. Metronome smile.gif

QUOTE (fatb0t @ Sep 25 2008, 09:45 PM) *
yeah but you count them differently..unless I'm mistaken you accent them differently... Both are 6 notes per beat

Yeah with one of them you put the accent just on note 1 of the 6, and with the other you put an accent on note 1 and 4.
So then you kinda playing regular triplets but the metronome click only comes after 6 notes instead of 3. Always forget which one are called 16th note triplets and which are called tuplets tongue.gif

Click
1 2 3 4 5 6

Click (Imaginative Click)
1 2 3 4 5 6

Both 6 notes per beat but different accents smile.gif

This post has been edited by Mark.: Sep 25 2008, 09:03 PM

+Quote Post
Jose Mena
post Sep 25 2008, 09:27 PM
Post #12

Instructor
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 5.593

All it takes is practice and patience, you won't be able to do it in one day. Always practice to increase your speed making sure every notes rings clearly and clean. I have a few shred lessons on here that might be too much if you are just starting, but at slow speeds they can be a good exercise. Timing is the key, it you dominate timing your shredding will be much more impressive even if you play slower.

I have a new lesson coming up on 16th note patterns, that should help with timing, when doing alternate picking, which I believe is important to develop speed and shred.

Good luck

--------------------
Check out my Video Lessons
Visit my Instructor Board
Visit MySpace

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd January 2017 - 09:10 AM