> Rich And Famous?, concerning the teachers here
SonofDestiny
post Oct 2 2008, 05:00 PM
Post #41

GMC:er

Group: Members
Member No.: 5.207

QUOTE (jer @ Oct 2 2008, 02:46 PM) *
I'm 36 next month. Have a wife and 4 year old daughter.

You can still be in a band and practice a couple/three nights a week. Gig on the weekends. And be a devoted husband/father.

I've seen this happen to friends, as soon as a kid comes along they give up on EVERYTHING else. I don't get it. I'm a great dad. And my daughter and wife would agree. They don't expect their existence to be the end of my hobbies. I still make time for myself. And I still make time for them. There is a LOT more time in the given week than people think there is.

To me its not a lot different than other jobs. If you want to have the best chance at climbing the ladder you may want to relocate. You may need to put in some extra time here and there to "get ahead". But with your band you hopefully have 3-4 other people helping out.

Your family can be a part of your musical hobby/career. The kids/wife can come to the gigs. They can help out. They can sell merch. They can hump gear. Like the dad who's the softball coach.

Isn't that a heck of a lot better than the guys/gals knocking out 50-70 hour weeks at the office, not seeing their kids nearly enough, are watching their marriage fall apart cuz they have no time for their spouse, all they do is work? What a horrible misappropriation of time/effort. Guess what man? You're gonna be dead before you take time to enjoy yourself.

If you want it. You can have it. A successful father/child relationship. A successful wife/husband relationship. A successful musical career. It may be more work at times than the single dude with no kids that neednt keep a job cuz he can just crash at a buddies house. But its certainly possible.

I think for some, the stuff we associate with "growing up" is a great excuse for not putting in the effort to get where you want to be.

It's real easy to blame your kids/wife. Thats BS. Turn the TV off and get your band going if thats what you want. You dont need 13 NFL games every Sunday. You don't need to spend 5 hours pruning the yard every weekend. Jam in the garage and book a gig at the local bar. Get it started. Or admit that you really just dont want to put in the effort.

Sitting on the couch is a lot easier.

(of course this is my opinion and I'm speaking in generalities, not to anyone specifically here)

Wow, I'm nowhere near those events in my life yet, but I really, really have a lot of respect for that comment! That's about the most valuable thing I've read here on GMC. I'd be proud of myself if I were like you when I'm 36.

Well, I'm hoping to be like a Richie Sambora, but if it doesn't work out, what you're talking about would be fine with me smile.gif

--------------------
Wishlist: the world.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
jer
post Oct 2 2008, 05:07 PM
Post #42

Group: Passive
Member No.: 5.836

QUOTE (SonofDestiny @ Oct 2 2008, 11:00 AM) *
Wow, I'm nowhere near those events in my life yet, but I really, really have a lot of respect for that comment! That's about the most valuable thing I've read here on GMC. I'd be proud of myself if I were like you when I'm 36.

Well, I'm hoping to be like a Richie Sambora, but if it doesn't work out, what you're talking about would be fine with me smile.gif

Thanks. I appreciate you saying that.

I have a sneaking suspicion that we get but one chance to live a good life. Set youself up for what you want, and follow thru. You are the only one in control of the results.

--------------------
My Gear

Jackson SL-1 USA Soloist
Jackson DK2M
ESP LTD MH-400
ESP LTD EC-1000
Ibanez Custom S-Series
Martin 001 Acoustic

Handmade Marshall JCM800 50watt head (with mods)
Carvin 50x2 Stereo Tube Amp
Boss GT-10 Preamp/Effects Processor
Digitech GSP-1101 Preamp/Effects Processor
Behringer FCB1010 Midi Controlled Floorboard
Behringer Dualfex EX2200
Behinger Stereo EQ
Line 6 POD with 2.3 upgrade
Line 6 Floor Board
Line 6 Spider III Practice Amp
Nady UHF Wireless

"Who will eat the decay, when the worms have lost their sight?"

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
post Oct 2 2008, 05:42 PM
Post #43

Instructor
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 2.159

I'm far away from being rich,
famous...maybe in my neighborhood biggrin.gif

But I consider myself damn lucky,
music is the only thing I do and it's going pretty nice so far.
I DON'T earn big buck but it's good enough to pay the bills etc...
So,I play,enjoy it and make living from it...good enough for me.
Rich and famous?
Those are surely not my goals for sure but if it ever happens,why not. smile.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
Henry Dietzel
post Oct 2 2008, 05:57 PM
Post #44

Instructor (former GMCer Hammerin Hank)
Group Icon

Member No.: 5.018

Congrats on that Muris!! biggrin.gif

I have to agree with you, that has always
been my goal ahead of the fame and fortune.
These things would be nice but I just want to
pay my bills doing what I enjoy most. I was
only lucky to be able to do that for a few years
and now I am a slave to the system.... sad.gif 9-5

This post has been edited by Henry Dietzel: Oct 2 2008, 05:57 PM

--------------------
I have learned a lot, but I still have a lot to learn

Check out my video lessons

+Quote Post
FrankW
post Oct 2 2008, 10:53 PM
Post #45

Member No.: 5.004

QUOTE (jer @ Oct 2 2008, 03:23 AM) *
As it should be?

Are you serious?

Then why don't we all just put a bullet in our head when after blow out the candles on our 30th birthday.

Giving up on your dream is a personal choice. It's not right for everyone. And in my humble opinion, its certainly not "as it should be".

My point is, if one chooses to get married and raise a family, that should most certainly take precedence over ones' musical aspirations. If a family man can fit it into his schedule where the family doesn't pay a price, fine. Otherwise, it has to take a backseat. Priorities change...that's life.

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
post Oct 2 2008, 11:58 PM
Post #46

Instructor
Group Icon

QUOTE (FrankW @ Oct 2 2008, 11:53 PM) *
My point is, if one chooses to get married and raise a family, that should most certainly take precedence over ones' musical aspirations. If a family man can fit it into his schedule where the family doesn't pay a price, fine. Otherwise, it has to take a backseat. Priorities change...that's life.

I agree with Frank tho I haven't experienced the same...still. smile.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

The Pianist

+Quote Post
FrankW
post Oct 3 2008, 12:34 AM
Post #47

QUOTE (Muris Varajic @ Oct 2 2008, 11:58 PM) *
I agree with Frank tho I haven't experienced the same...still. smile.gif

Muris, in my opinion, you are in the optimal position to really do something with music. You are young. You are single. And most importantly, you are an exceptional player. Actually, you are a phenomenal player.
If there were anyone I would vote to make a good living playing guitar, it would most certainly be you. You remind me of Greg Howe, Satch, Andy Timmons, etc. These guitar giants are not in big name bands. They are making a comfortable living playing guitar because they are exceptional players and composers.
You are definitely in a position to make it happen. I would say that a player of your abilities might consider relocating to take full advantage of the opportunities. I don't know anything about the music scene in Europe, but a guy with your talent needs to be where the money is.
The above mentioned players make their own albums, of course, but others make it being hired guns, as Greg Howe has done from time to time. From what I have read, Nashville, TN and Austin, TX are the centers of the universe for guitar players opportunity-wise here in the States. Sometimes it takes a leap of faith. If I were as good as you are, and was "free and clear", I'd seriously consider it.
I'm not saying you haven't considered relocation. I wouldn't presume to manage your career. I just felt that I had to tell you that you are in a position that many of us dream of, or have dreamt of. I would love to see you do something big, because you are that good, man, and that ain't no s**t.

This post has been edited by FrankW: Oct 3 2008, 12:43 AM

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
post Oct 3 2008, 12:44 AM
Post #48

Instructor
Group Icon

Relocation is certainly an option
but too complex considering my origin.
Will working on it tho,many thanks for your kind words Frank,it means a lot. smile.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

The Pianist

+Quote Post
FrankW
post Oct 3 2008, 12:52 AM
Post #49

QUOTE (Muris Varajic @ Oct 3 2008, 12:44 AM) *
Relocation is certainly an option
but too complex considering my origin.
Will working on it tho,many thanks for your kind words Frank,it means a lot. smile.gif

I'll be looking for you in Guitar Player magazine, it's just a matter of time, my friend.

+Quote Post
Vasilije Vukmiro...
post Oct 3 2008, 01:01 AM
Post #50

Jazz Instructor
Group Icon

Member No.: 6.012

QUOTE (resilientguitarist @ Oct 1 2008, 07:18 PM) *
I was just curious if any of teh staff (of GMCers) were making music their profession. As in there are some AMAZING guitarists on this site im awed by lots of the instructors all of them in fact. I was wondering if they did music as a profession at all. And if not ... WHY NOT?? is it really that hard to get a job as a musician? im fifteen and that is my dream. So, how come you guys arent out there getting rich and famous and creating amazing music! ?? (and no im not about being rich and famous thru music) (i wud spend all the money on guitars anyways biggrin.gif)

The most important thing here is, that loving music and playing the instrument, doesn't have anything to do with money, success. It is the mater of NEED. You just need to play, that is it, like addiction. I recently watched interview with Moby. During the day, he worked in the CD shop, and he was enjoying it, in the evening he was DJ and in the same time composed his own music, he didn't consider success, money...He was perfectly happy. And then, out of nowhere, success happened. Why do we need success and fame? Everybody can make some money from music, that is ok, you can play with bands, jam, compose, if you are seriously appreciating music, that should be enough.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Guitarman700
post Oct 3 2008, 03:02 AM
Post #51

Member No.: 1.632

QUOTE (Vasilije Vukmirovic @ Oct 2 2008, 08:01 PM) *
The most important thing here is, that loving music and playing the instrument, doesn't have anything to do with money, success. It is the mater of NEED. You just need to play, that is it, like addiction. I recently watched interview with Moby. During the day, he worked in the CD shop, and he was enjoying it, in the evening he was DJ and in the same time composed his own music, he didn't consider success, money...He was perfectly happy. And then, out of nowhere, success happened. Why do we need success and fame? Everybody can make some money from music, that is ok, you can play with bands, jam, compose, if you are seriously appreciating music, that should be enough.

yeah, i saw that interview, hese a great guy, good musician too. i think success is what YOU make it, i would consider Muris, for example, a VERY sucessful musician, because hese inspired so many people here, and his music has greatly inspired me. my view of my future is a good paying, fun job, but ill always have my guitar and my music, and if that goes somewhere, great, but i guess success to me, is that i enjoy what im doing. im not going to gauge my musical success on what other people think.

--------------------
My Gear:
Guitars:
Fender Standard Stratocaster HSS
Jackson Dinky Custom
Washburn WG-587 7-String
LTD EX-50
Kramer Focus 6000
Amps:
Peavey Vypyr 30
Marshall MG10KK Kerry King 10 Watt

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th March 2017 - 10:53 PM