Fran
post Oct 9 2008, 09:07 PM
Post #1

Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
Group Icon

Group: GMC Senior
Member No.: 3.338

I just had to say it.

I was used to Dean Markleys signature strings, and usually after 3-4 weeks playing 2 hours/day I had to change them, because they were almost black. They really were corroded and black to the point they even stained my fingers if I played with them for 5 weeks. (I guess my finger sweat/acids are specially nasty for strings...)

So after many string changes and watching my strings start to slowly fade to black after just a few days I decided to give elixir's a shot, they are quite expensive (more than twice the price of Dean Markleys!), but they are just AWESOME.

I've been playing with the same set of strings for over 6 weeks now, and they are still shiny like new! And they keep their tone and feel, just amazing. When I got them I thought they wouldn't be any better... but they are certainly worth it. Thought I had to share it, though I'm sure many of you have already tried them. Great stuff smile.gif

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
DeepRoots
post Oct 9 2008, 09:10 PM
Post #2

Get to da Chopper!
Group Icon

Member No.: 1.374

I agree! I won't touch anything but elixirs now, they stay like-new for such a long time ohmy.gif

I managed to grab a 4-pack on ebay a while ago, looks like that'll last for ages now (and it only came out as about $12 a set)

+Quote Post
fkalich
post Oct 9 2008, 09:13 PM
Post #3

GMC:er

Group: Members
Member No.: 1.189

QUOTE (Fran @ Oct 9 2008, 03:07 PM) *
I just had to say it.

I was used to Dean Markleys signature strings, and usually after 3-4 weeks playing 2 hours/day I had to change them, because they were almost black. They really were corroded and black to the point they even stained my fingers if I played with them for 5 weeks. (I guess my finger sweat/acids are specially nasty for strings...)

So after many string changes and watching my strings start to slowly fade to black after just a few days I decided to give elixir's a shot, they are quite expensive (more than twice the price of Dean Markleys!), but they are just AWESOME.

I've been playing with the same set of strings for over 6 weeks now, and they are still shiny like new! And they keep their tone and feel, just amazing. When I got them I thought they wouldn't be any better... but they are certainly worth it. Thought I had to share it, though I'm sure many of you have already tried them. Great stuff smile.gif

I don't have trouble with strings, mine stay shiny forever. I don't do anything special, must have something to do with skin oils or sweat of some people.

I would only be interested in these if they were quieter when I am using a lot of distortion (w.r.t. picking up noise from my right palm sliding on the strings as I often do). But I doubt that will be the case, as nobody has ever said that. It would not seem likely, as compared to my cheap strings with fast fret or olive oil.

This post has been edited by fkalich: Oct 9 2008, 09:14 PM

+Quote Post
Gus
post Oct 9 2008, 09:18 PM
Post #4

Group Icon

Group: Student Instructor
Member No.: 3.920

Yep. I love elixir tone and durability.

The only downside is that they are harder to bend than other strings I tried.

--------------------
my "Thank you GMC!" video

If you like it please vote in the competition ;-)

Gus Stairway to Guitar Heaven - my practice agenda

Check out my lesson here Phrygian Dominant Solo lesson

Gear : Ibanez RGT320q (I just love the neck-thru sustain), Washburn EA-20SDL (acoustic 6 string), Standard strat (Mexico), POD X3 Live

Some of my Guitar heroes: Jimmy Page, Slash, Kirk Hammett, Augusto Licks, Joe Satriani, Gus G, David Gilmour, Mark Knopfler...

+Quote Post
DeepRoots
post Oct 9 2008, 09:20 PM
Post #5

Get to da Chopper!
Group Icon

QUOTE (Gus @ Oct 9 2008, 09:18 PM) *

Really? I stuck with the same string gauge and found there not to be a difference...

Infact i remember thinking that vibrato was a little easyier- as the strings have that coating (i guess).

+Quote Post
fkalich
post Oct 9 2008, 09:25 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 1.189

QUOTE (Gus @ Oct 9 2008, 03:18 PM) *

I don't understand this. I just about never change strings, and I play a lot. Never need to, even after months, if I change them, there is really no difference to speak of. I do feel like my fingers have natural oil in them, maybe that is the thing with me, and some people.

+Quote Post
Fran
post Oct 9 2008, 09:31 PM
Post #7

Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
Group Icon

Member No.: 3.338

QUOTE (fkalich @ Oct 9 2008, 10:25 PM) *
I don't understand this. I just about never change strings, and I play a lot. Never need to, even after months, if I change them, there is really no difference to speak of. I do feel like my fingers have natural oil in them, maybe that is the thing with me, and some people.

Lucky you! In my case normal strings begin to loose their bright metalic color and turn darker and darker till they literally end up black in 5 weeks or so. Specially in the areas were I play a lot. And of course the decrease in brightness affects the sound till it kills it too. Plus they don't feel smooth to the fingers, they begin to get stuck in the areas were they go black, they can even harm the finger tips if you keep playing when they are "corroded black".

As for elixirs helping decrease unwanted noise when sliding... I'm afraid they won't help you there. Their main advantage is their resistent coating which prserves tgeir tone and perfect texture for weeks. Enough for me!

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post
berko
post Oct 9 2008, 09:32 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 4.782

If your strings don't go black even after a while, you may then call yourself a very lucky person. I have the exact same problem as Fran. My strings get rusty very quick (Ernie Balls needed only 5 days to go completly useless), and i have to change them after a month (Daddarios and Dean Markleys). I do sweat a lot. dry.gif My strings went so rusty, they would break while bending. dry.gif dry.gif Now I'm and Elixir fan. rolleyes.gif I've installed mine 2 months ago and i'm still using them. cool.gif cool.gif

Hail Elixir strings!!! They are expensive here where I live, but definitely worth the price. Definitely. cool.gif biggrin.gif

--------------------
High speed, low drag

Check out my YouTube channel
HERE!

Here you can find my
MYSPACE

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
post Oct 9 2008, 09:33 PM
Post #9

Instructor
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 2.159

Elixir is awesome.
With my sweating problem it was like new set every week or som,
Elixir lasts a month,even more.

And I have 15 sets in the closet,just in case . biggrin.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
rokchik
post Oct 9 2008, 09:34 PM
Post #10

Moderator - The Dark Canuck
Group Icon

Member No.: 1.395

I've been using Elixirs now for about a year and a half and I won't use anything else. I LOVE them!!! I find they sound amazing and are very easy on the fingers. I have them on both my electric and acoustic. They hold up very well and last me quite awhile.

+Quote Post
sidewas lightnin...
post Oct 9 2008, 09:56 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 5.198

cool, I might try those. It really bugs me that after like, a week, my strings are corroded black. I get dirt and rust on my fingers! I was considering trying these... they're a little bit more expensive, but strings are THE cheapest thing in music besides guitar picks.

--------------------
I spelled my username wrong...I didn't even think that was possible!

Look at the topic for my guitar...
Finished Guitar Build

Gear:
Homemade strat (You still need to look at its topic!)
Squier strat (probably going to get rid of it and get another guitar instead) :)
Line 6 spider amp (not actually used for anything, just acts as a speaker)
Digitech Gnx2 (kind of old, but cheap, and sounds amazing!)

+Quote Post
wrk
post Oct 9 2008, 09:58 PM
Post #12

Learning Tone Seeker

Member No.: 723

hm, sounds interesting. The price was making me hesitate up to now .... but i will try them. Thanks !

--------------------

+Quote Post
sigma7
post Oct 9 2008, 10:02 PM
Post #13

Member No.: 4.917

i thought wiping down your strings prevented corrosion?

--------------------

+Quote Post
DeepRoots
post Oct 9 2008, 10:06 PM
Post #14

Get to da Chopper!
Group Icon

QUOTE (sigma7 @ Oct 9 2008, 10:02 PM) *
i thought wiping down your strings prevented corrosion?

to a certain extent it does- but i didnt have the patience for a complete wipe down after every session dry.gif

+Quote Post
Gus
post Oct 9 2008, 11:46 PM
Post #15

Group Icon

Group: Student Instructor
Member No.: 3.920

QUOTE (DeepRoots @ Oct 9 2008, 10:20 PM) *
Really? I stuck with the same string gauge and found there not to be a difference...

Infact i remember thinking that vibrato was a little easyier- as the strings have that coating (i guess).

Some time ago I was really short of money and I was using rotosound (which is actually not necessarily economy since they last less then Elixir) . When I moved back to Elixir, with exactly same gauges, I even had to readjust my floyd rose (more than I expected).
I think also D'addario is easier to bend than Elixir (it has been a long time I don't play it though). And the strings that came on stock on my Ibanez were even easier to bend (too sloppy for my taste actually.).

Right now I am using .009 Elixir tuned on Eb. It is just perfect feeling to me.

This post has been edited by Gus: Oct 9 2008, 11:49 PM

--------------------
my "Thank you GMC!" video

If you like it please vote in the competition ;-)

Gus Stairway to Guitar Heaven - my practice agenda

Check out my lesson here Phrygian Dominant Solo lesson

Gear : Ibanez RGT320q (I just love the neck-thru sustain), Washburn EA-20SDL (acoustic 6 string), Standard strat (Mexico), POD X3 Live

Some of my Guitar heroes: Jimmy Page, Slash, Kirk Hammett, Augusto Licks, Joe Satriani, Gus G, David Gilmour, Mark Knopfler...

+Quote Post
Chief Brody
post Oct 9 2008, 11:55 PM
Post #16

Member No.: 3.780

I tried out Elixirs on one of my guitars for a couple of months and yes, their durability/longevity is amazing!

However i had to change to a different brand because i found them more difficult to play with, they are definitely harder to bend and are inherently tougher than other brands of the same gauge.

The fatigue in my fingers would reduce my practice time overall and i thought to hell with it, a standard set of strings will last me a couple of months if i treat them properly (cleaning before and after playing, a little metal polish once a week really helps too actually).

Elixirs are great, but not for me i'm afraid hehe.

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
post Oct 9 2008, 11:57 PM
Post #17

Bass & Beginner Instructor
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 3.410

Hmm I never get to trying out some elixirs on bass...

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!
My solo and band songs : Keep Going On, Night Vibe, Kad Te Vidim, Susret, Plava Silueta

+Quote Post
bamba23
post Oct 10 2008, 11:04 AM
Post #18

Group: Passive
Member No.: 5.976

yup there amazing.
im playing for almost year
and totaly i change only 4-5 times string
1 first cheap string very nad
2gibson averge
3 again gibson <>
4 elixir
elixir is now on my guitar almost ammm half year,and with my crappy wha wha the just survive everything.

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
post Oct 10 2008, 11:20 AM
Post #19

Member No.: 3.401

I may give them a try. I use different strings on all my guitars but I might try Elixirs on my Parker Nitefly M.

--------------------
Gear
Guitars:- Caparison Horus Snowcloud, Parker Nitefly M, Parker Nitefly SA, Gibson SG, Parker P10e, 40 Year Old Spanish Acoustic
Amps:- Framus Ruby Riot 2x12" stack

+Quote Post
botoxfox
post Oct 10 2008, 11:36 AM
Post #20

Member No.: 1.226

Coated strings FTW.

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd May 2017 - 08:14 PM