Pinched And Natural Harmonics - Can I Do Them?, amp v. skill
Rain
Oct 10 2008, 06:38 PM
GMC:er
Hey Ivan, it's been awhile smile.gif

I was just wondering if I can do pinched / natural harmonics on a guitar if my amp is an SP10

it looks like this: http://www.elderly.com/images/fmic/30N/SQS...-accesories.jpg

I don't have any of the special knobs and what-not yet so I don't know if my amp can put out the sound. I seem to be able to get a kind of squeal but its VERY faint.

Any idea?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Galneryus [SYU / YUUTO-LEDA] - the GazettE - Sonic Syndicate - Versailles - Sadie - Takayoshi Ohmura - Steve Vai - MintJam - Sex Machineguns - Gentaro Satomura - CYCLE - Paul Gilbert - X Japan - Disturbed
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
fatb0t
Oct 10 2008, 07:29 PM
whoops didn't see it was directed at Ivan. Sorry dude wink.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by fatb0t: Oct 10 2008, 07:30 PM

+Quote Post
Rain
Oct 10 2008, 08:40 PM
QUOTE (fatb0t @ Oct 10 2008, 02:29 PM) *
whoops didn't see it was directed at Ivan. Sorry dude wink.gif

Anyone can reply for sure - but I just know that Ivan has helped me a lot in the past smile.gif That is why I posted here.

--------------------
Galneryus [SYU / YUUTO-LEDA] - the GazettE - Sonic Syndicate - Versailles - Sadie - Takayoshi Ohmura - Steve Vai - MintJam - Sex Machineguns - Gentaro Satomura - CYCLE - Paul Gilbert - X Japan - Disturbed

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Oct 11 2008, 04:55 PM
Instructor
Pinched harmonics is something you can do even on acoustic guitar, so the amp is not really necessary. What is important that the amp amplifies that harmonic, so when you crank it, it will ring louder, that's all. The proper playing of the harmonics is more important. Try to turn the colume up on your amp, and slowly start picking with your right hand on one string, changing positions from bridge to neck, and picking pinched harmonics with the left side of your thumb. When you find the sweet spot where you hear the harmonic ring, this is the place on the string where you have to pick in order to get a PH.
Also if you want your PH to have a more of that distorted ear-piercing tone, then it is good to use some kind of overdrive/distortion pedal.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Gus
Oct 11 2008, 09:28 PM
As for gear settings, I discovered recently that I can do nice pinch harmonics more easily if I use a wah-wah pedal (on top of distortion of course).

--------------------
my "Thank you GMC!" video

If you like it please vote in the competition ;-)

Gus Stairway to Guitar Heaven - my practice agenda

Check out my lesson here Phrygian Dominant Solo lesson

Gear : Ibanez RGT320q (I just love the neck-thru sustain), Washburn EA-20SDL (acoustic 6 string), Standard strat (Mexico), POD X3 Live

Some of my Guitar heroes: Jimmy Page, Slash, Kirk Hammett, Augusto Licks, Joe Satriani, Gus G, David Gilmour, Mark Knopfler...

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Oct 13 2008, 03:31 PM
Instructor
Spot on Gus, wah wah pedal can really make the pinched scream sometimes smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
Oct 13 2008, 04:47 PM
Good advice here. It's like anything you need to get the technique right before amplifying it and you can do pinch harmonics and hear them without an amp.

--------------------
Gear
Guitars:- Caparison Horus Snowcloud, Parker Nitefly M, Parker Nitefly SA, Gibson SG, Parker P10e, 40 Year Old Spanish Acoustic
Amps:- Framus Ruby Riot 2x12" stack

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Oct 14 2008, 11:02 AM
Instructor
You're right mate. It should sound good on clean first, so it may sound good on overdrive as well.

This post has been edited by Ivan Milenkovic: Oct 14 2008, 11:04 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 08:57 AM