Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Time For A Pick Up Change On Sami's Guitarr
Sami
post Oct 12 2008, 05:27 PM
Post #1

Learning Rock Star

Group: Members
Member No.: 3.491

Hey GMC! so i have had My Ibanez RGR320EX for about a half a year now (All thanks to Ivan giving me the best way to convince my parents to let me get it smile.gif Thanks so much mate!). I love the feel of it and everything but i am starting to get to the point where i am noticing a need for a change in its tone. What i would love to have is a sharp piercing lead tone similar to Paul Gilbert and Steve vai. I've always liked to use my neck pick up for leads(Is that odd? haha) so that would be my lead pick up. For my bridge pickup i would like one that gives my tone a raw metal sound perfect for rhythm parts. I would like to switch to actives maybe because of the harmonic capacity but would that be too drastic of a change for my guitar?
Here is my guitar
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Ibanez-RGR320E...359-i1172556.gc
Thanks GMC!

--------------------
QUOTE (OrganisedConfusion @ Jun 10 2008, 01:38 PM) *
Crysis kicked arse. Gears of War unfortunately I thought was as good as wiping cottage cheese on a cat's head

Hahahaha just imagine the cat hahahah

QUOTE (fkalich @ May 3 2009, 08:01 PM) *
The thing about being really stupid, is that there are a zillion ways to be a moron. There are usually several ways to be intelligent, given a situation, but it is a small finite number. But there are always a zillion ways to be to blithering idiot. So finding a new way to have the intellect of an artichoke is nothing to be proud of really, it is easy to do.

So true... To bad im still an artichoke haha
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
post Oct 12 2008, 05:53 PM
Post #2

Learning Tone Master
Group Icon

Group: MVC
Member No.: 2.164

Dimarzio Evolution for the Bridge and a Paf Joe for the neck is what I used for my Rg550 and it's perfect for Metal AND shredding

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
Sami
post Oct 12 2008, 06:13 PM
Post #3

Learning Rock Star

will these work with the current set up of the guitar?(like will installation just be the cost of the wiring?)

--------------------
Crysis kicked arse. Gears of War unfortunately I thought was as good as wiping cottage cheese on a cat's head

The thing about being really stupid, is that there are a zillion ways to be a moron. There are usually several ways to be intelligent, given a situation, but it is a small finite number. But there are always a zillion ways to be to blithering idiot. So finding a new way to have the intellect of an artichoke is nothing to be proud of really, it is easy to do.

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
post Oct 12 2008, 06:19 PM
Post #4

Learning Tone Master
Group Icon

Are those designed by EMG pickups active or passive?

--------------------

Gear:

- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
Sami
post Oct 13 2008, 02:49 AM
Post #5

Learning Rock Star

im not sure.. how could i find out?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
post Oct 13 2008, 06:32 PM
Post #6

Instructor
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 3.341

If they run on batteries they are active, if not they are passive. You should have a battery compartment somewhere on the backside of the guitar mate.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Sami
post Oct 13 2008, 10:38 PM
Post #7

Learning Rock Star

No compartment sad.gif they must be passive. Is there still a chance i could get those pickups installed? and if so, how much do you think it would cost around?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
post Oct 13 2008, 10:51 PM
Post #8

Bass & Beginner Instructor
Group Icon

Member No.: 3.410

QUOTE (Sami @ Oct 13 2008, 11:38 PM) *
No compartment sad.gif they must be passive. Is there still a chance i could get those pickups installed? and if so, how much do you think it would cost around?

Well I think there is slight possibility to install active pickups in a guitar that doesn't have a slot for battery..They usually put the the battery under the controls cavity.But if you have guitar with passive pickups I would stay passive...Its more natural tone and most importantly - it doesn't depend on batteries!

This post has been edited by Bogdan Radovic: Oct 13 2008, 10:52 PM

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!
My solo and band songs : Keep Going On, Night Vibe, Kad Te Vidim, Susret, Plava Silueta

+Quote Post
Sami
post Oct 13 2008, 11:23 PM
Post #9

Learning Rock Star

http://www.guitarcenter.com/DiMarzio-DP213...373-i1128179.gc

http://www.guitarcenter.com/DiMarzio-DP159...960-i1127929.gc

Are these active or passive? I hope passive cause the shop im dealing with is offering to custom order the green ones and charge me 85 per pick up

--------------------

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
post Oct 13 2008, 11:31 PM
Post #10

Learning Tone Master
Group Icon

Those are passive Pickups and you can put them into your guitar without much wiring and soldering.
Try to make a deal with the store: I buy two pickups (Evolution and Paf Joe) and you install them for free!

--------------------

Gear:

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
post Oct 13 2008, 11:33 PM
Post #11

Bass & Beginner Instructor
Group Icon

Member No.: 3.410

QUOTE (ZakkWylde @ Oct 14 2008, 12:31 AM) *
Those are passive Pickups and you can put them into your guitar without much wiring and soldering.
Try to make a deal with the store: I buy two pickups (Evolution and Paf Joe) and you install them for free!

Thats a good idea !! Its better to leave the job of installing them to a professional!

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!
My solo and band songs : Keep Going On, Night Vibe, Kad Te Vidim, Susret, Plava Silueta

+Quote Post
Sami
post Oct 13 2008, 11:43 PM
Post #12

Learning Rock Star

QUOTE (ZakkWylde @ Oct 13 2008, 11:31 PM) *
I buy two pickups (Evolution and Paf Joe) and you install them for free!

Sure i would love that deal, if your buying them!!! laugh.gif jk

haha besides the lame joke

YAY haha im so happy they are passive, and i am so excited to be able to get these pickups. So the evolution is good for metal right?(just making sure again). I would never try to install myself haha i would mess it up for sure laugh.gif Thanks so much for your advice though! If anyone else has suggestions though let me know! im open for other ideas too. Even if you just wanna say you agree with this choice, the confirmation would be great smile.gif

I wanna order them in green to get the green colour against my black bodied ibanez cool.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Skalde
post Oct 14 2008, 12:51 AM
Post #13

GMC:er

Member No.: 3.817

I also own a Ibanez RG-320. Yesterday I orderd the DiMarzio Evolution pickup for the neck of my guitar. I was also looking for a great lead sound and some heavy rhythm tone. A lot of people recommended me this pick up, so I am sure it's the right choice.
Make sure you buy the F-spaced version for your Guitar (because of the vibrato bridge)

This post has been edited by Skalde: Oct 14 2008, 12:53 AM

+Quote Post
Xuestor
post Oct 14 2008, 03:54 AM
Post #14

Member No.: 29

Your making a GREAT choice! The Evolution is a gift sent from heaven (or hell, depending how you look at things smile.gif). These dimarzio pickups must be the greatest pickups ever, but after you find out who actually participated in the developement, there is no surprise really.

--------------------
Gear:
Epi LP with SD SH-2/SD SH-6
Gibson Custom Shop Les Paul Standard VOS Bourbon burst
Gibson Les Paul Classic Antique Vintage Sunburst
Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded Tobacco burst
Fender Stratocaster Antigua with Stan Hinesley Karma/ Stan Hinesley EXP/ Dimarzio Protrack
Jem 7VWH
Fender CD160NT 12-string
Ibanez AW40NT 6-string
Martin 000X1 6-string
Hughes & Kettner Switchblade Head with 2*12 Celestion Vintage 30's Cab

Grammatic Professional auf Schweden

+Quote Post
ztevie
post Oct 14 2008, 08:22 AM
Post #15

Group Icon

Group: Student Instructor
Member No.: 4.557

I also use the neck for soloing and the bridge for rhytm... I think we have pretty much the same preferences for music too..

The best neck pickup I've ever tried for those soaring, warm sustaining solos is the Paf Pro, I also think that is what Gilbert use or have been using anyway. It's decent for cleans, but if you also need a great clean pickup, consider Air Norton...

For the bridge you would want, as me, a tight, powerful pickup with lots of bite. The bass must not be boomy or muddy, and the treble must not be shrill. It needs to response very well to palm muting, therefore tightness is the key word here. There are so many options out there, one of the best for this kind of thing is the Bareknuckle Miracle Man. It is really, really tight with pinch harmonics just flying out of it, however a bit expensive...
I have a Ibanez RG1550 with a Paf Pro i the neck and a X2N in the bridge. The X2N does metal extremely well, but lacks some dynamics and articulation for medium/low-gain tones. I will soon swap this and try a Tom Anderson HN3 in there, which is supposed to have boosted mids. I read somewhere it's Vivian Campbells favorite bridge pup. biggrin.gif (Maybe I'll soon have a X2N for sale...)
Ceramic magnets are often more powerful, but Alnico will give you more articulation and tone.
Do not stair too much on the power or DC/output/power numbers of the pickup. Maybe the best bridge pickup I have used was a stock one in a Peavey Vandenberg I sold a few years back (regret! mad.gif ). It was a AlnicoII magnet and didn't have insane output, but man, that pup was so tight and palm muting with pinch harmonics was a breeze.

Of course a pickup can sound different ,in every guitar, but what I look for first of all is if the guitars natural tone is bassy or trebley, that is, when you play it unplugged. For bassy guitars, I usually stay away from pickups with too much bass in their eq-curve. Same goes for the opposite, a trebley guitar with a treble-rich pickup could give you the "icepick" tone which I don't find too nice....

The quest for the perfect pickup continues, cause there are no such thing as "perfect". After a while we all want a new fresh tone and the easiest and most fun is to swap a pickup. I'm a bit addicted to this, I'm always on the look out for new pickups..
Soldering aint that hard, and after a while its as easy as changing pants... Good luck!

EDIT: I also tried actives, EMG 81 in the bridge and the splittable 89 in neck in a Schecter I had.. They are both nice. 81 is very tight and bitey, and the 89 is nice for warm solos, splitted or in series...
They are also dead quiet regarding noise from other electrical equipment, so no unwanted noise there.
I don't know why, but I seem to come back to passives for some reason. There's something about tone and dynamics. i wouldn't call actives sterile as many do, but there is something about passives I like better, more life to them somehow.. But if you would wanna try actives, make sure you can fit the battery somewhere, not so fun to start routing in the guitar...

This post has been edited by ztevie: Oct 14 2008, 07:08 PM

--------------------
Gear:
* Vigier Shawn Lane Master , Bridge Bareknuckle Nailbomb, Middle DiMarzio FS-1, Neck Bareknuckle Cold Sweat
* ESP Eclipse CTM1 , Bridge EMG 81, Neck EMG 60
* Peavey Vandenberg 2nd Edition , Bridge Tom Anderson HN3, Neck DiMarzio Chopper
* Ztevie's Blue, Custom Handbuilt by Rek Guitars , Seymour Duncan Full Shred humbucker set
* Yamaha LLX6 Acoustic
* Fractal Audio Axe FX II XL+

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th May 2017 - 12:11 AM