> Floyd Rose, Sustainer Blocks
skennington
post Oct 22 2008, 06:40 PM
Post #1

Learning Roadie - Never Give Up - Moderator
Group Icon

Group: GMC Senior
Member No.: 3.374

Anybody ever played with one of these installed? I hear they really bring the Floyd to life!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
MickeM
post Oct 22 2008, 07:03 PM
Post #2

Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader

Group: Members
Member No.: 1.062

Not really installing one for the sake of it but there's a noticable difference between cheap blocks and real steel ones. A steel ditto really adds to the sustain and roomy sound from the guitar. I think a quality block is the only way to go since a floating bridge will kill so much tone that would normally come from the body with it's only minimal body contact.

A cheap floating bridges really are a pain in so many ways.

--------------------

+Quote Post
skennington
post Oct 22 2008, 08:04 PM
Post #3

Learning Roadie - Never Give Up - Moderator
Group Icon

Group: GMC Senior
Member No.: 3.374

QUOTE (MickeM @ Oct 22 2008, 02:03 PM) *
Not really installing one for the sake of it but there's a noticable difference between cheap blocks and real steel ones. A steel ditto really adds to the sustain and roomy sound from the guitar. I think a quality block is the only way to go since a floating bridge will kill so much tone that would normally come from the body with it's only minimal body contact.

A cheap floating bridges really are a pain in so many ways.

I agree MickeM. I used to tune my guitar with the bridge still in a floating position and got quite good at it but still a pain in the rear. Then I learned the easy way of doing it by locking it in place with a 9v battery. smile.gif

This particular unit is a 32mm brass unit with an "L" feature that is suppose to eliminate some of the wasted space under the trem, in turn giving more sustain. I have seen a new titanium block but the thing is really expensive...A retail of 450US blink.gif I think you can buy them for around 300 though.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th January 2017 - 02:48 AM