Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Problems With Keeping Up Motivation, For music in general :(
J.E.
post Oct 23 2008, 09:31 PM
Post #1

GMC:er

Group: Members
Member No.: 1.375

Hi i have this problem where i easily get tired of the music i listen to, i wounder if someone else has this problem. Its like i can say WOW alternative funk rock sounds awesome, then i listen to a band for like a week and suddenly im tired and move on to something else. I mean you get tired if you hear the same song everyday but this is different i feel like i never manage to settle with music in general And that hinders me from learning to play too. Music is my passion and its the only thing that makes me happy besides movies, I have had the same dream for years to become a musician but now im having serious doubt about music i mean whats the point if i get tired after one week(though, i am only 16 so i think maybe puberty is causing these mood swings when it comes to everything. I guess i have to see what happens, maybe i have to take a break from music/guitar and wait until im ready anyway i hope to get some answers from you guys smile.gif

--------------------
Can you imagine?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ramiro Delforte
post Oct 23 2008, 09:43 PM
Post #2

Instructor
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 5.625

Try to find out why to get bored. Could be that you don't listen with quite attention and taste all the little things that music have. There are different kind of listening.
Also could be that you are looking for a more complex music, could be that the music you listen is good but simple and you expect something more...I don't know, I'm just making suppositions.

Here I give you a link to explore.

http://www.deeplistening.org/site/

And don't be sad, I'm shure is only a stage.

biggrin.gif

--------------------
Check out my Instructor Profile and Board

LIVE VIDEO CHATS EVERY MONDAY AROUND 22PM (GMC HOUR)

+Quote Post
superize
post Oct 23 2008, 09:53 PM
Post #3

Ultimate Tone Guru
Group Icon

Group: Student Instructor
Member No.: 2.410

Well i started listening to metal when i was 15 i think and since then it is the only thing i am listening to......

--------------------
My Gear

Ibanez RG
Jackson js30 warrior
jackson rr24
Line 6 Spider III amp
Line 6 pod xt live
Washburn acoustic

Youtube Account
My bands Myspace

+Quote Post
Ian Bushell
post Oct 23 2008, 10:06 PM
Post #4

Instructor
Group Icon

Member No.: 5.345

Sometimes a new band may seem cool because it is something fresh, something new to listen to.
There's only so many legend albums out there;) you'll find the ones that inspire you, don't give up!

QUOTE (superize @ Oct 23 2008, 10:53 PM) *
Well i started listening to metal when i was 15 i think and since then it is the only thing i am listening to......

Rock on! \m/

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
post Oct 23 2008, 10:54 PM
Post #5

Instructor
Group Icon

Member No.: 3.341

Ian is right, there are so many stuff out there that can be interesting, just investigate, and listen to online radio stations to find something fresh and to your taste. You cannot be bored with music, there is always a ton of new stuff. smile.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
J.E.
post Oct 23 2008, 11:25 PM
Post #6

Atm im listening to a band from Finland called "Hurriganes" G not a C biggrin.gif their the only rock band from Finland and i heard a incredible song called get on Hurriganes and it blew my mind wide open, seriously i cranked up the volume a' high and i cant get enough of it, but i thought if i were only to make that kind of music wouldnt i still get bored after maybe one album? it has a Chuck Berry feel to it and i love Chuck Berry but i think if i only were to make one kind of music without variasion like many other bands wouldnt i/people get bored? So my current inspiration is Chuck Berry, Albert Jarvinen from Hurriganes, Albert King and Gary Moore but im afraid that if i listen too much of them ill get bored. For instance i used to like SRV now i just feel his music is mindless phrasing up and down(no offence still thinks he is a great player) Im just kinda lost :S

--------------------
Can you imagine?

+Quote Post
Guitar1969
post Oct 24 2008, 07:06 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 901

QUOTE (Jarl Emil @ Oct 23 2008, 03:25 PM) *
Atm im listening to a band from Finland called "Hurriganes" G not a C biggrin.gif their the only rock band from Finland and i heard a incredible song called get on Hurriganes and it blew my mind wide open, seriously i cranked up the volume a' high and i cant get enough of it, but i thought if i were only to make that kind of music wouldnt i still get bored after maybe one album? it has a Chuck Berry feel to it and i love Chuck Berry but i think if i only were to make one kind of music without variasion like many other bands wouldnt i/people get bored? So my current inspiration is Chuck Berry, Albert Jarvinen from Hurriganes, Albert King and Gary Moore but im afraid that if i listen too much of them ill get bored. For instance i used to like SRV now i just feel his music is mindless phrasing up and down(no offence still thinks he is a great player) Im just kinda lost :S

I think part of the problem might be your approach to listening to new stuff. You need variety. When you find a new band you like, don't go overboard listening to it 20 times in a row.

As far as style is concerned, changing it up is important. Nobody likes listening to a band that sounds the same on every song. I think of bands like U2, who reinvent their sound every album nowadays - There's a reason they have been around for 30 years and still pack out stadiums. The only way to do this as a guitarist is learning new styles, even if you have no intention of playing that particular style right now.

--------------------
"Three Chords & The Truth . . ."

+Quote Post
Jesse
post Oct 24 2008, 09:09 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 5.426

QUOTE (Ramiro Delforte @ Oct 23 2008, 10:43 PM) *
Try to find out why to get bored. Could be that you don't listen with quite attention and taste all the little things that music have. There are different kind of listening.
Also could be that you are looking for a more complex music, could be that the music you listen is good but simple and you expect something more...I don't know, I'm just making suppositions.

Here I give you a link to explore.

http://www.deeplistening.org/site/

And don't be sad, I'm shure is only a stage.

biggrin.gif
Lol, you bastard, you just can't stop advertising can you,biggrin.gif

--------------------
Don't just play it. Feel it!

+Quote Post
IDontWantMyUsern...
post Oct 24 2008, 09:31 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 2.170

QUOTE (Guitar1969 @ Oct 24 2008, 08:06 PM) *
I think part of the problem might be your approach to listening to new stuff. You need variety. When you find a new band you like, don't go overboard listening to it 20 times in a row.

As far as style is concerned, changing it up is important. Nobody likes listening to a band that sounds the same on every song. I think of bands like U2, who reinvent their sound every album nowadays - There's a reason they have been around for 30 years and still pack out stadiums. The only way to do this as a guitarist is learning new styles, even if you have no intention of playing that particular style right now.

I agree on what he says here. I do also think Ramiro has a point; when you listen to music, use different approaches. It might sound strange, but what I mean is that you could listen to music sometimes just to get the feel of what you are listening to, and sometimes you could just listen to the songs just to really listen and find new details etc. smile.gif

--------------------
My stuff:

Ibanez S320
Marshall MG100HDFX half stack
Line6 PODxt
Digidesign Mbox Pro

Songs I'm writing down/learning at the moment:

Children of Bodom - Downfall

+Quote Post
J.E.
post Oct 24 2008, 09:44 PM
Post #10

Almost every Chuck Berry song has the same intro and people worship his music, but im not sure if you listen to it enough time you will get bored

--------------------
Can you imagine?

+Quote Post
Oxac
post Oct 25 2008, 12:53 AM
Post #11

Member No.: 2.086

This really inspired me today biggrin.gif Check it out, it helps if you're from scandinavia but everyone can enjoy it, it's marvelous.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8o7M4WbIM3I&fmt=18

--------------------
Olle "AJ" Svensson

+Quote Post
Canis
post Oct 25 2008, 01:20 AM
Post #12

Learning Rock Star
Group Icon

Group: GMC Wiki:er
Member No.: 3.108

I know exactly the feeling...
Agalloch cured it!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Guitarman700
post Oct 25 2008, 01:48 AM
Post #13

Member No.: 1.632

I listen to at least 1 new band every day, if i listen any faster, i might start hearing music that has'nt been played yet!
But seriusly, variety is KEY to enjoying music, and life in general!

This post has been edited by Guitarman700: Oct 25 2008, 01:49 AM

--------------------
My Gear:
Guitars:
Fender Standard Stratocaster HSS
Jackson Dinky Custom
Washburn WG-587 7-String
LTD EX-50
Kramer Focus 6000
Amps:
Peavey Vypyr 30
Marshall MG10KK Kerry King 10 Watt

+Quote Post
besip
post Oct 25 2008, 04:03 AM
Post #14

Member No.: 2.798

I'm got same problem..actualy the problem also made me trouble becouse i'm don't know what kind of guitar i'm have to buy next laugh.gif i'm like 1 week totaly also Metal stuff and thinking about buying something Like Jackson slmg and other week i'm into melodic stuff ala Nocturnal vision Lesson and lot of slow stuff and then thinking more about Ibanez probally S-SV 5470

my schizofrenia go more into me laugh.gif becouse i'm belive if i'm be go to the store and wana buy nex axeand i'm wasn't be sure again what kind of style i'm be like play and what kind of axe be better..so maybe i'm be can pick also totaly diferent guitar form those 2 what i'm wrote here.....

and Motivaction is somethime also trouble..somethime when i'm try play no mather what i'm sound horible{like yesterday dry.gif }...my bigest problem is aslo i'm have bigest taste to play always around midnight...but becouse i'm like to play loud but my neighbour rolleyes.gif don't like't it's not easy

it's funny usualy my motivaction practising grown up at late night and i'm really play better at that time

but man take care u will find your own way to made it cool.gif

This post has been edited by besip: Oct 25 2008, 04:06 AM

--------------------
[
MY Gear
Jackson Sl2h
Digitech DF-7
PodXt

+Quote Post
Ramiro Delforte
post Oct 25 2008, 04:29 AM
Post #15

Instructor
Group Icon

Member No.: 5.625

I didn't understand Jesse post.....:S he was laughing AT me or WITH me?

--------------------
Check out my Instructor Profile and Board

LIVE VIDEO CHATS EVERY MONDAY AROUND 22PM (GMC HOUR)

+Quote Post
Shadow21
post Oct 25 2008, 09:27 AM
Post #16

Member No.: 4.397

QUOTE (Ramiro Delforte @ Oct 25 2008, 05:29 AM) *
I didn't understand Jesse post.....:S he was laughing AT me or WITH me?

He is laugthing with you, not at you dude smile.gif

I have the same problem, I find a band or a guitarist and I think WOW!
Sometimes after a few days, i get fed up, and a need new things.
But there are some dudes, that have hooked up to them for weeks or months and make me want to play guitar all day!
You just have to find your music, and learn how to love it laugh.gif

http://es.youtube.com/watch?v=JsjYqm-2PDk&...feature=related

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lr4Ixrkz5Vc...feature=related

This my inspiration right now, he is the best!

+Quote Post
Jesse
post Oct 25 2008, 10:31 AM
Post #17

Member No.: 5.426

QUOTE (Jarl Emil @ Oct 24 2008, 10:44 PM) *
Almost every Chuck Berry song has the same intro and people worship his music, but im not sure if you listen to it enough time you will get bored

Hmm not the same intro but the same 12 bar blues rythm:D I never get tired of chuck!

--------------------
Don't just play it. Feel it!

+Quote Post
J.E.
post Oct 25 2008, 11:25 AM
Post #18

QUOTE (Oxac @ Oct 25 2008, 01:53 AM) *
This really inspired me today biggrin.gif Check it out, it helps if you're from scandinavia but everyone can enjoy it, it's marvelous.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8o7M4WbIM3I&fmt=18
Haha i used to love this show when i was younger tongue.gif (Still love it biggrin.gif Nice funky riff cool.gif )

QUOTE (Shadow21 @ Oct 25 2008, 10:27 AM) *
He is laugthing with you, not at you dude smile.gif

I have the same problem, I find a band or a guitarist and I think WOW!
Sometimes after a few days, i get fed up, and a need new things.
But there are some dudes, that have hooked up to them for weeks or months and make me want to play guitar all day!
You just have to find your music, and learn how to love it laugh.gif

http://es.youtube.com/watch?v=JsjYqm-2PDk&...feature=related

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lr4Ixrkz5Vc...feature=related

This my inspiration right now, he is the best!
I dont like him, he reminds me of a serial killer! biggrin.gif

--------------------
Can you imagine?

+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th July 2017 - 05:41 AM