3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> This Question Is For All The Instructors..or As Many As Possible., pinky issues. need help.
Muris Varajic
post Oct 31 2008, 01:39 AM
Post #21

Instructor
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 2.159

No need for panic indeed!

I read that you spent many years playing
simple blues stuff,mostly pentatonic.
That is lot of time and you can't expect miracles in few months. smile.gif

Per example,Eric Claptom is world famous player,
he uses pinky rarely but it doesn't limit him at all,
ultra strong and fast pinky is just not the must
for his style of playing.
I'm saying this because you can imagine what will happen
if someone asks Mr. Clapton to play more with his pinky,
specially some faster stuff ala Malmsteen etc.
So,he has many years of experience in playing
but he has rater focused on something else.

It needs lot of time(hours per day) to get your pinky
in the same shape like your other fingers,
that is not mission impossible of course,
just relax,play more 3nps patterns,
do NOT push it over limits etc,
result will be there,chin up. smile.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
FenderBeater
post Oct 31 2008, 01:50 AM
Post #22

GMC:er

Group: Members
Member No.: 6.154

QUOTE (Noangels @ Oct 30 2008, 11:16 PM) *
I agree with emir,you have a bad habit of extending your pinky a half tone above the note your playing and shift it side ways to the target note?I wouldnt worry if you cant use your pinky,its no big deal.I have been playing now for 20 years or so and I have met a few guitarists who couldnt use thier pinky's too!there good musicians too,not like they have just started-When I looked at their pinky while playing it looked like their pinky would never play!lol

here is a great example of a great guitarist who hardly EVER uses his pinky!I swear you could cut it off and it wouldnt effect his playing in the slightest!Reb Beach

Dont worry about it,guitarists like Reb didnt worry and came up with lots of cool tapping licks!Its not the end of the world if you cant use your pinky-IMO your one of those few people who have dodgy Pinkys!Bit of a pain,but you can work around it

Just another quick observation I made while watching your vid clip again.when you where doing your cromatic 4 note per string exercise you also have a habit of bending the string up a microtone when you use your 3rd finnger!I can only think the reason you do this is your twisting your hand slightly towards you to make your pinky come down on the neck?

Yes, yes and yes, heheh but again, it's all because it's tired that I do that. Hey man, I LOVE Reb Beach, he rips. I didn't know he was one of those. The small bend..amazing that you noticed..so you were one of the few that paid attention huh? I wanted to see how many would pick it up well fucking done..you the man. That happens when my pinky acts up, again I can't control it.

The gentleman above with the FHD advice. Actally, my pinky does indeed shake and trembles I was just fighting it like a madman in the clip. If you watch closely, a couple of times it shakes. I don't think I have FHD but god damn I went to the site, thanks by the way, and I have all the symptons..WTFFF. GARBAGE! My luck, I guess..don't worry Jesus here I come when I die and I'm kicking some ass for this. Seriously, I don't think I have it because I really don't get cramps just tiny ones after say 5-7 of a constant exercise but I get the shakes and not being able to control the pinky. Screw it, I'm cutting the bastard off and playing everything 3 fingered..what choice do I have. sad.gif unsure.gif

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
post Oct 31 2008, 01:55 AM
Post #23

Instructor
Group Icon

Member No.: 3.341

I would suggest that you check out posting guidelines on the forum for swears.

This post has been edited by Ivan Milenkovic: Oct 31 2008, 10:39 AM

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Daniel Robinson
post Oct 31 2008, 05:34 AM
Post #24

Instructor
Group Icon

Member No.: 4.670

Hey Fenderbeater,

Watching your vid, it makes me think you might have a similar problem that i do. I will try to explain this as best i can.

I noticed that you keep your hand at a right angle to the fret board while doing your "Pinky" excersise, but at the end of the clip when you do your little pentatonic bit your guitar neck is cradled in the web between your thumb and your hand. You see how in the "pinky" excersise thing your hand is floating off the neck, its not being cradled in that web area of your hand. Look at the difference of angle between the two.

When i was younger, i broke my pinky and never had it set, so it healed crooked. I cannot play fast passages with my pinky with my hand at that angle, that is how i hold my hand most of the time just like you do in the first part of your vid. When doing a fast ascending or descending lick that involves my pinky i have to turn my hand and rest the neck in that web of my hand, it changes the angle that my fingers fret that lick and i can play fast that way. It took a bit of getting used to adjusting between the two posistions but its second nature to me now.

Its just something you should consider. You have been so focused on strengthening your pinky maybe its your wrist angle that is the culprit.

Daniel

--------------------
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post
Noangels
post Oct 31 2008, 11:58 AM
Post #25

Member No.: 5.628

Yeahh Rebs the man!Hell of a player-And hardly any pinky use:) so dont worry.I am surprised many here did not see your eratic 3rd finger placement too,I guess there were just looking out for your pinky tongue.gif

It realy looks to me that you twist your fretting hand slightly when your about to use your pinky-(almost like the motions of vibrato)if you can stop your hand from doing that then I think you pinky might be able to come into use?

If you cant-dont worry,just play-Like i have said its no big deal if you dont use it!There isnt a right way to play music,you play it how its easiest for you.Many guitarists use there elbows in their picking arms to pick!And i find that an essesive amount of movement to be used when you consider the movement of the pick!others use wrist and finger thumb movement-NO one tech is right,you do what your body does naturaly

anyway dont beat yourself up about it,just enjoy playing music and have FUN:)

btw good looking axe you have

--------------------
Ibanez geo and a line 6 spider

+Quote Post
Young Guitarist
post Oct 31 2008, 02:49 PM
Post #26

Member No.: 4.915

Remember, if you didnt get used with using the pinky in the beginning. Its hard to get it in right later

--------------------
Rock On!

+Quote Post
FenderBeater
post Oct 31 2008, 02:56 PM
Post #27

QUOTE (Daniel Robinson @ Oct 31 2008, 05:34 AM) *
Hey Fenderbeater,

Watching your vid, it makes me think you might have a similar problem that i do. I will try to explain this as best i can.

I noticed that you keep your hand at a right angle to the fret board while doing your "Pinky" excersise, but at the end of the clip when you do your little pentatonic bit your guitar neck is cradled in the web between your thumb and your hand. You see how in the "pinky" excersise thing your hand is floating off the neck, its not being cradled in that web area of your hand. Look at the difference of angle between the two.

When i was younger, i broke my pinky and never had it set, so it healed crooked. I cannot play fast passages with my pinky with my hand at that angle, that is how i hold my hand most of the time just like you do in the first part of your vid. When doing a fast ascending or descending lick that involves my pinky i have to turn my hand and rest the neck in that web of my hand, it changes the angle that my fingers fret that lick and i can play fast that way. It took a bit of getting used to adjusting between the two posistions but its second nature to me now.

Its just something you should consider. You have been so focused on strengthening your pinky maybe its your wrist angle that is the culprit.

Daniel

Very interesting, I will look into this. thank you

Sorry about the swearing guys. Won't happen again.

QUOTE (Noangels @ Oct 31 2008, 11:58 AM) *
Yeahh Rebs the man!Hell of a player-And hardly any pinky use:) so dont worry.I am surprised many here did not see your eratic 3rd finger placement too,I guess there were just looking out for your pinky tongue.gif

It realy looks to me that you twist your fretting hand slightly when your about to use your pinky-(almost like the motions of vibrato)if you can stop your hand from doing that then I think you pinky might be able to come into use?

If you cant-dont worry,just play-Like i have said its no big deal if you dont use it!There isnt a right way to play music,you play it how its easiest for you.Many guitarists use there elbows in their picking arms to pick!And i find that an essesive amount of movement to be used when you consider the movement of the pick!others use wrist and finger thumb movement-NO one tech is right,you do what your body does naturaly

anyway dont beat yourself up about it,just enjoy playing music and have FUN:)

btw good looking axe you have

See, this is the same thing the top pros would tell me. "just do it how your body takes up to it naturally and if it's comfortable". They also keep saying that "the pinky will come around just keep doing it". one more thing is I need to figure out how much is too much because I'm tired of taking 3 days off every 5-7 days or so due to soreness or fatigue in pinky.

I just found out that Doug Aldrich is another 3 finger player for the most part and he kicks ass too.

Thanks man, I love that Strat.

+Quote Post
Noangels
post Oct 31 2008, 03:16 PM
Post #28

Yeah Doug rocks!See you dont need that pinky!

IMO if I was in your shoes I would go with the flow of your body,your wasting a lot of time training your pinky and its efecting your hands and your outlook on music!You realy dont need to use it,so do it the Reb and Doug way and laugh at all of us who have to use their pinkys tongue.gif

btw what amps do you use?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Jose Mena
post Oct 31 2008, 04:06 PM
Post #29

Instructor
Group Icon

Member No.: 5.593

Hey FenderBeater

I haven't seen the video yet, but by reading other's peoples comments on the video, I suspect you have a problem a lot of people have.

Because someone mentioned that your 3rd finger is affected when you try to use the pinky, I am guessing that you do not have that independency of the 3rd and pinky.

Try this:

Hold your first 3 fingers straight with your other hand, and try to bend the pinky by itself, can you do so without that 3rd finger moving. Many people can't. As a matter of fact I was discussing this with my two brothers the other night, because all three of us play, but the youngest and I, do not have that pinky finger independence, it moves with the third finger. My brother and even my wife can bend the pinky without moving the 3rd finger.

I thought that this would be a matter of exercise, and 16 have passed since I noticed this problem and guess what, it is still the same, I do not have that independance. Maybe you have this problem too, and maybe it is more severe.

In my case it didn't stop me from using the pinky, I use it when I have to, I managed to train the pinky to move independently just enough to be able to play guitar, but it only moves if the 3rd finger is curled.

And I know you have probably heard this a million times, but you are the only one that can limit yourself, just imagine if Django Reindhardt would have quit because he only had 2 working fingers.

Taking it a little further there are people that play guitar with their feet, so limitations are really in ones mind.

You say that you can do 3nps pentatonics with three fingers, that right there is an advantage others don't have, make use of that ability to create you own jaw dropping licks, ok so you might not be able to play a Paul Gilbert lick, but maybe you will have someting that Paul Gilbert can't play.

You can still be an amazing guitar player, with a very unique style with the 3 fingers that work fine, you say that you can use the pinky a little, well use it only a little, don't strain it to the point of fatigue, sometimes a physical limitation gives people the drive to come up with new possibilities, and that could be your case.

Just something to think about

cheers

--------------------
Check out my Video Lessons
Visit my Instructor Board
Visit MySpace

+Quote Post
fatb0t
post Oct 31 2008, 04:58 PM
Post #30

Member No.: 3.373

I remember I went to guitar center one day and I was playing some pentatonic blues stuff and a old jazz player came up to me and said "You realize you NEVER use your pinky right?" I was really dumbfounded by this, I realized I didn't. I went home and learned a bunch of 3 note per string patterns (major scale actually), very very very slowly with a metronome. At first my pinky was nearly useless, I couldn't fret a note at all. Have you tried starting a pattern with your pinky and descending to your ring middle then index?
My pinky to this day still does all types of weird stuff, it curls up really bad, it's always really far away from the fret board but I can use it pretty well now.

Chromatics are kinda difficult at first, I would just try doing the major scale up and down the neck. Or just try using your pinky and your index finger to fret notes. Also, don't go crazy and damage your finger from playing too much. If it hurts, if your force it, if its shaking you're doing something wrong.

And if worse comes to worse you can always tap that note in there with your other hand.

+Quote Post
FenderBeater
post Nov 1 2008, 04:15 AM
Post #31

QUOTE (Noangels @ Oct 31 2008, 03:16 PM) *
Yeah Doug rocks!See you dont need that pinky!

IMO if I was in your shoes I would go with the flow of your body,your wasting a lot of time training your pinky and its efecting your hands and your outlook on music!You realy dont need to use it,so do it the Reb and Doug way and laugh at all of us who have to use their pinkys tongue.gif

btw what amps do you use?

Heheh, funny bro. laugh.gif

I have an Elmwood Modena 60 and a Diezel Einstein 100watt and an original Marshall JMP from 78 which has the "Jose Mod". I used to play in bands and played the clubs. I had to have more than 1 head. Then I got into becoming a shredder which is what I always wanted but I figured to work up to it. When I was able to easily do all the minor pentatonic licks and leads with practice and alot of SRV playing. I figured I was ready hell, if I never had issues with SRVs Little Wing, I knew I was ready..after 8-9 years. WRONG! Boy did the pinky kick my ass and stopped all my fun. You're right all this pinky business screwed up my outlook and I wasted alot of time not playing and doing stupid exercises. My gf keeps telling me, you haven't really played in 2 years all you do is exercises. Stupid, stubburn me. dry.gif I figured that's what it took.

Now, I'm all rusty as hell when I try and play the licks I used to play and even the songs. At least I know I can get it back in a week so no sweat.

I really want to thank you guys for taking the time to help me and offering advice, everyone, really thank you. I know it's very difficult to really see and understand if it's not in person or unless you feel the same issue. in return I'll let you guys go out with my sister..she just had a sex change. laugh.gif biggrin.gif tongue.gif

QUOTE (Jose Mena @ Oct 31 2008, 04:06 PM) *
Hey FenderBeater

I haven't seen the video yet, but by reading other's peoples comments on the video, I suspect you have a problem a lot of people have.

Because someone mentioned that your 3rd finger is affected when you try to use the pinky, I am guessing that you do not have that independency of the 3rd and pinky.

Try this:

Hold your first 3 fingers straight with your other hand, and try to bend the pinky by itself, can you do so without that 3rd finger moving. Many people can't. As a matter of fact I was discussing this with my two brothers the other night, because all three of us play, but the youngest and I, do not have that pinky finger independence, it moves with the third finger. My brother and even my wife can bend the pinky without moving the 3rd finger.

I thought that this would be a matter of exercise, and 16 have passed since I noticed this problem and guess what, it is still the same, I do not have that independance. Maybe you have this problem too, and maybe it is more severe.

In my case it didn't stop me from using the pinky, I use it when I have to, I managed to train the pinky to move independently just enough to be able to play guitar, but it only moves if the 3rd finger is curled.

And I know you have probably heard this a million times, but you are the only one that can limit yourself, just imagine if Django Reindhardt would have quit because he only had 2 working fingers.

Taking it a little further there are people that play guitar with their feet, so limitations are really in ones mind.

You say that you can do 3nps pentatonics with three fingers, that right there is an advantage others don't have, make use of that ability to create you own jaw dropping licks, ok so you might not be able to play a Paul Gilbert lick, but maybe you will have someting that Paul Gilbert can't play.

You can still be an amazing guitar player, with a very unique style with the 3 fingers that work fine, you say that you can use the pinky a little, well use it only a little, don't strain it to the point of fatigue, sometimes a physical limitation gives people the drive to come up with new possibilities, and that could be your case.

Just something to think about

cheers

Yes sir. That's exactly what I have but I always thought it was the same for everyone since I notice this in most players. For example when I watched Paul Gilbert play using 1st, 3rd and 4th finger his middle finger goes whacko and if you can find something on him..actually, I just did, watch his middle finger:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-SljU5ZQcSg

I actually watched this guy in 2 different occasions, (I actually bs with him 3 times since he lived here in town and his guitar tech was my guitar tech) about one foot away from me playing and he didn't curl his fingers as much as in the video and they were all over the place. I'm not even that bad and I couldn't carry his diaper as a baby. So I figured that was a mechanical thing and a normal one of the human anatomy, who knows? That's just what I thought but yes, I have a hard time controlling my pinky without the 3rd finger it's always been that way.

Also, I wouldn't think twice about it if my pinky wasn't so thrashed from all the exercises and it gave me a hard time controlling it when I do alot. Do you have this ever? Mine gets hard to control and fret and it'll shake and tremble here and there but it all went away after I took 3-5 days rest. I might be a strange case that I can't practice exercises every day who knows?

Yes, I can do some stupid stretches because I have very big hands, I can reach alot with just 3 fingers but I was always getting crap over it from teachers and others. They keep getting on my ass about it and since it's the right thing to do, I listened. One teacher told me he'd drop me like 3rd period french class if I didn't stop that.

+Quote Post
Noangels
post Nov 1 2008, 08:08 AM
Post #32

ROFLMFAO I think I might make give your sister a miss mate!*gets out ten foot barge pole to keep her away)
Great amps!So in a nutshell mate,stop all that stupid pinky exercises your doing and just get back to doing it how you used to!Ok got to go and record with band now,any chance you can fed ex your amps over for us to use tongue.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
post Nov 1 2008, 11:15 AM
Post #33

Instructor
Group Icon

Member No.: 2.159

Maybe you don't have to practice exercises every day then!
The idea is to use pinky daily as much as possible,
jam a bit,play some song,solos etc.
Pure exercises might be too much sometimes.

Speaking of pinky independency,
there is one thing and it's actually more related to 3rd finger.
Per example,put your hand on the table
while touching it with your finger tips.
Now try to move them UP one by one,
99% you'll have problems with 3rd finger this time
and pinky will probably work fine?
I believe all people have this problem by default
because human fist is constructed that way.

So,when moving them up there's problem with ring finger,
when moving them towards plam there's problem with pinky,
independency wise.
I have those 2 problems as well but I never found it blocking me,
daily use of pinky is what is important the most. smile.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
Rooks
post Nov 1 2008, 11:54 AM
Post #34

Member No.: 5.376

I used to train a lot in gyms and at home etc. And apart from training your pinky fanatically I think you have a muscular "problem". It is somehow related to the independency issue and yet not ..

Having strong hands, training in a certain way, limits the flexibility. I think by playing with 3 fingers for so long you have strenghtened your hand "too much" Like when a bodybuilder can't touch his own ear for his biceps ^^

As suggested, Less is more dude. slowly incorporate your pinky. Don't force it. I think playing that long and enthusiastic makes it hard to incorporate the pinky as fast as you like, because of the muscles you've been using and training for so long just won't let it that easily.

Think as yourself as a huge bodybuilder weighing 140 kilos, with one very small leg. You can't train the small leg as hard as the rest of the body smile.gif Slow and steady up to speed.

As for practice, warm well up, and "hold down" your other fingers -gently. with palm facing up raise the pinky straigth in the air repeatedly while holding the ring finger -gently in place.. Just do it a little before playing to warm up the "independent" pinky muscles. And then incorporate it .. Use your comfortable method, and use the pinky when its handy; in chromatic scales and a slide now and then. Like 1/10th of what you have been forcing it smile.gif I know patience is the hardest advice to take, but your current plan is just hurting you. 2 years is not much compared to the time you've been playing total. And that time you have been killing your pinky smile.gif

Another good one too (seems to me anyway, I'm not as experienced with guitar as many here, but I do know a thing or 2 about muscular dynamics)

Do some good old simple tapping on the hi E-string with index and pinky, only do the spiderman/horns while doing it .. Normally when tapping and having that problem your ring would move slightly too, with spiderman/horns hand posture your ring will be fixed against the palm while pinky does the pull-off work alone .. Doesn't fatigue as much as other pinky practices in proper doses, and tapping is something in your playing style not only a practice. When I do it I can really feel my pinky independent anyway tongue.gif

Should any instructor say this is totally wrong I'll retract, but it's the best muscular training I can come up with to improve independence and strength gradually while still having fun and dynamic playing.
Rooks

This post has been edited by Rooks: Nov 1 2008, 12:40 PM

--------------------

Gear: Guitar Cort EVL X4 , Squier Strat Amp Peavey Valveking 112 50w

+Quote Post
FenderBeater
post Nov 2 2008, 04:44 AM
Post #35

QUOTE (Noangels @ Nov 1 2008, 08:08 AM) *
ROFLMFAO I think I might make give your sister a miss mate!*gets out ten foot barge pole to keep her away)
Great amps!So in a nutshell mate,stop all that stupid pinky exercises your doing and just get back to doing it how you used to!Ok got to go and record with band now,any chance you can fed ex your amps over for us to use tongue.gif

biggrin.gif You're wise to stay away from my sister, you have no idea how many people fall for that little joke of mine, "yeah man hellll yeah is she pretty?" blink.gif

Thanks, they are indeed great amps I love them all I'd have no problem letting you guys jam on the amps and I'd fedex them to you if you pay me the $4000 shipping charge. dry.gif

QUOTE (Muris Varajic @ Nov 1 2008, 11:15 AM) *
Maybe you don't have to practice exercises every day then!
The idea is to use pinky daily as much as possible,
jam a bit,play some song,solos etc.
Pure exercises might be too much sometimes.

Speaking of pinky independency,
there is one thing and it's actually more related to 3rd finger.
Per example,put your hand on the table
while touching it with your finger tips.
Now try to move them UP one by one,
99% you'll have problems with 3rd finger this time
and pinky will probably work fine?
I believe all people have this problem by default
because human fist is constructed that way.

So,when moving them up there's problem with ring finger,
when moving them towards plam there's problem with pinky,
independency wise.
I have those 2 problems as well but I never found it blocking me,
daily use of pinky is what is important the most. smile.gif

That's what I thought that it was normal but who the hell knows. Like Jose Mena said some have that and some don't.

I'll just stop doing so many exercises for a while and don't worry about the pinky and just work on more songs and start having fun again.

Rooks, I used to be a power lifter erlier on and heavy deadlifting would screw up my fingers, not my hands but my fingers would end up numb for minutes and close grip bench pressing messed up my wrists but DMSO helped that in a year. I almost broke a finger putting on a lifting suit once but got lucky that I just strained it. I know about lifting very well and how muscles work too, I always thought that since there aren't many muscles in the hand and fingers, that they were different but I still had doubts. As you know if you overtrain in the gym..you're done for and lose strength and have incredible fatigue but that's me being ignorant and not listening to my body. When my pinky would tremble I knew I should back off but like a donkey, I pushed even more. If my hamstrings would tremble like that before squatting, no way in hell I'd get under the bar.

Good thing that I haven't gotten any pain or other things trembling or even the wrist.

QUOTE (fatb0t @ Oct 31 2008, 04:58 PM) *
I remember I went to guitar center one day and I was playing some pentatonic blues stuff and a old jazz player came up to me and said "You realize you NEVER use your pinky right?" I was really dumbfounded by this, I realized I didn't. I went home and learned a bunch of 3 note per string patterns (major scale actually), very very very slowly with a metronome. At first my pinky was nearly useless, I couldn't fret a note at all. Have you tried starting a pattern with your pinky and descending to your ring middle then index?
My pinky to this day still does all types of weird stuff, it curls up really bad, it's always really far away from the fret board but I can use it pretty well now.

Chromatics are kinda difficult at first, I would just try doing the major scale up and down the neck. Or just try using your pinky and your index finger to fret notes. Also, don't go crazy and damage your finger from playing too much. If it hurts, if your force it, if its shaking you're doing something wrong.

And if worse comes to worse you can always tap that note in there with your other hand.

How long did it take you to get there with the pinky? Funny thing is that I can go in reverse ( 4, 3, 2, 1) better and alot more comfortable than going forward. I work on Flight Of The Bumblebee alot because the first few bars are mostly starting backwards.

+Quote Post
Jose Mena
post Nov 2 2008, 06:18 AM
Post #36

Instructor
Group Icon

Finally saw the video, I see the problems that you have with the pinky, don't really know what to tell you that others haven't said to you already in this post, I noticed the same things, you seem to have the pinky far away from where you are going to fret, and when pressing down the finger moves back to the right fret, also notices it is almost straight, those are the same things you've been told already.

My advice is, use the working fingers man, you will find a use for the pinky, you might need to re arrange scales to play certain things, but guess what it will all lead to you getting your own unique sound and phrasing. Don't listen to the instructors that told you that they would drop you because of the way you are arranging the scales, rules are meant to be broken.

I am not saying give up on the pinky, but maybe limit its use to other things.

--------------------
Visit MySpace

+Quote Post
fatb0t
post Nov 2 2008, 03:42 PM
Post #37

Member No.: 3.373

Fenderbeater - I would say it took six months or so for me to be able to use my pinky well...but I didn't go crazy with it. I can go 4321 easier than 1234 as well...You should give your pinky a major rest, let it heal 100% then go back perhaps.

+Quote Post
FenderBeater
post Nov 2 2008, 09:18 PM
Post #38

QUOTE (Jose Mena @ Nov 2 2008, 06:18 AM) *
Finally saw the video, I see the problems that you have with the pinky, don't really know what to tell you that others haven't said to you already in this post, I noticed the same things, you seem to have the pinky far away from where you are going to fret, and when pressing down the finger moves back to the right fret, also notices it is almost straight, those are the same things you've been told already.

My advice is, use the working fingers man, you will find a use for the pinky, you might need to re arrange scales to play certain things, but guess what it will all lead to you getting your own unique sound and phrasing. Don't listen to the instructors that told you that they would drop you because of the way you are arranging the scales, rules are meant to be broken.

I am not saying give up on the pinky, but maybe limit its use to other things.

Will do, thanks man.

QUOTE (fatb0t @ Nov 2 2008, 03:42 PM) *
Fenderbeater - I would say it took six months or so for me to be able to use my pinky well...but I didn't go crazy with it. I can go 4321 easier than 1234 as well...You should give your pinky a major rest, let it heal 100% then go back perhaps.

I'll take it easy and do some warmup using the pinky and then do everything else and use it only if needed and see how it goes. Thanks!

+Quote Post
Jose Mena
post Nov 4 2008, 02:00 PM
Post #39

Instructor
Group Icon

Hey FenderBeater

I tried playing without the pinky yesterday, and just wanted to show you that you can shred without the pinky, this was hard for me to do, as my hards are small, but as you can see it is possible, you say you have big hands, so for you it might be even easier, mine was a little sloppy but with practice it could be done.

Just wanted to cheer you up and show you anything is possible my friend, so don't limit yourself because of a physical limitation, you can still be an amazing guitar player if you wanted to.
Attached File(s)
Attached File  demo.mov ( 3.24MB ) Number of downloads: 38

--------------------
Visit MySpace

+Quote Post
FenderBeater
post Nov 4 2008, 08:11 PM
Post #40

QUOTE (Jose Mena @ Nov 4 2008, 02:00 PM) *
Hey FenderBeater

I tried playing without the pinky yesterday, and just wanted to show you that you can shred without the pinky, this was hard for me to do, as my hards are small, but as you can see it is possible, you say you have big hands, so for you it might be even easier, mine was a little sloppy but with practice it could be done.

Just wanted to cheer you up and show you anything is possible my friend, so don't limit yourself because of a physical limitation, you can still be an amazing guitar player if you wanted to.

Hey nice guitar, I love Black Teles. Arlen Roth plays one that I've always wanted. It's all Black with White binding.

That's pretty much how I've been playing the last few days, thanks for the video man. Nice chops too! biggrin.gif

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2017 - 08:24 AM