2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> A Very General Question About Picking, and galloping etc.
TheOldOnes
post Nov 13 2008, 09:22 PM
Post #21

GMC:er

Group: Members
Member No.: 5.367

Paralyzed Horse - Thanks for posting the video. Until a couple of years ago, I played with my thumb and index finger and kept my wrist and elbow fixed for the most part. My guitar mates couldn't understand how I did that because I could get some freakish speed. However, my rhythm was extraordinarily bad so I made a conscious effort to play using the wrist.

Consequently my rhythm improved immensely but I lost speed (good trade-off though - in my opinion).

Recently though, I have been trying to up the speed of lessons I have learned well and have been toying with using the fingers for speed bursts and such. I've been afraid that this would be a bad idea but after reading this post, I think I can incorporate it into my playing without fear of reverting as long as I don't come to rely on it for speed purposes.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ctodd
post Nov 13 2008, 09:33 PM
Post #22

Member No.: 3.051

though I havent been replying much to this thread, I have been reading it carefully.

And I just want to say thanks for all the advice, I have been following the advice here, and I have noticed significant improvement in my picking.

and well I just wanted to say thanks!

-Chris

--------------------
QUOTE (Emir Hot @ Feb 5 2009, 03:41 AM) *
When you hear something that you really like, take guitar and kill the beast.

+Quote Post
berko
post Nov 13 2008, 09:37 PM
Post #23

Member No.: 4.782

QUOTE (TheOldOnes @ Nov 13 2008, 09:22 PM) *
Paralyzed Horse - Thanks for posting the video. Until a couple of years ago, I played with my thumb and index finger and kept my wrist and elbow fixed for the most part. My guitar mates couldn't understand how I did that because I could get some freakish speed. However, my rhythm was extraordinarily bad so I made a conscious effort to play using the wrist.

Consequently my rhythm improved immensely but I lost speed (good trade-off though - in my opinion).

Recently though, I have been trying to up the speed of lessons I have learned well and have been toying with using the fingers for speed bursts and such. I've been afraid that this would be a bad idea but after reading this post, I think I can incorporate it into my playing without fear of reverting as long as I don't come to rely on it for speed purposes.

I agree that you can allow yourself to use some movements of your fingers (thumb & index), but I recommend that you really get used to the monotonous wrist-movement first.

I had the same probelm at the beginning: I strived for speed and eventually what came naturally were the fine little movements of my thumb and index. However, this technique (on its own) has a lot of limits, as you said, for example rythmic problems (although practicin timing is a whole different thing and skill).

At the first glance it may seem that you've traded in the wrist technique for speed, but that's just the first impression. I also had to start from scratch and re-learn the speedier stuff in my reportaire.

So IMO it IS a bad idea to use your old technique even for speed bursts, because this won't help you to get a solid wrist technique that you can speed up to a great extent with a lot of practice. Only then it is worth to experiment with a bit of fingers (for example to make your pick angled differently and so on) and elbow too.

My experience is this, and until now I didn't get disappointed about it. After all it's only a matter of practice.

Hope this helped smile.gif cool.gif

--------------------
High speed, low drag

Check out my YouTube channel
HERE!

Here you can find my
MYSPACE

+Quote Post
Noangels
post Nov 13 2008, 10:31 PM
Post #24

Member No.: 5.628

QUOTE (FrankW @ Nov 13 2008, 05:35 PM) *
You're obviously quite a guitar player, man. I like your playing style. We may have a few philosophical differences, but I don't care about any of that... water under the bridge. I admire your playing, and I respect that. Keep up the good work, and do another video sometime...you're good. smile.gif

Thank you for the high praise,it means a lot.It took me a few years to find my voice-I guess you could call it blues based with a few out notes and high speed phrases with a mix of diatonic arps being used(I almost never use triads,as I favour the sound and feel when I play 7th/9ths arps)

yeahh water under a bridge my friend,we are all brothers in music:)

If you think I'm good you should hear the other guitarist in my band,he has got great feel and chops!Its great fun trading licks with him,and it keeps me on my toes as I have to keep imrproving or he will one day blow me off stage!Thats a road I never want to go down!lol

anyway big thanks,I better get back to the lesson sections here so I can keep up with the other guitarst!

If you message me your email addy I can send you the powertab for that video:)

--------------------
Ibanez geo and a line 6 spider

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th July 2017 - 03:49 PM