2 Pages V   1 2 >  
New Player Testing, Some have reported problems with the new GMC player
Kristofer Dahl
Nov 18 2008, 04:18 PM
GMC Founder
As you might have noticed some have reported problems with the new player video being "choppy".

Yesterday we were happy to be able to stream one of the largest videos ever at GMC - Ivan's "Rockabilly Style Solo". However - some people had problems watching this video.

With the great help of Ivan we have put together a much lighter test version of this lesson (but still in the new player).

* It would be really helpful if you could compare your experience with these two versions. (please let us know what kind of Internet connection and computer you have as well).

* Also - please let us know if the video is still choppy after buffering has finished. (buffering has finished when the white progress bar is gone)

* When testing this - please close any other applications/browser tabs you have got open. Also be sure to close your browser in between testing the two different versions.

NEW LIGHTER VERSION
OLD VERSION
(edit - we have now replaced the videos on the main page - to avoid confusion I have therefore removed the links here. Thanks for all the feedback I will get back with more info in this thread)

Thanks for taking the time to help us out! smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ItsMe
Nov 18 2008, 04:24 PM
GMC:er
new version works perfectly fine. The old version is perfect too after buffering is complete. With the new version the playback starts right away and no buffering artefacts are visible.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
fatb0t
Nov 18 2008, 04:26 PM
PC Details: Core Duo 2 1.80 Ghz, 1 Gb Ram, T3 line (work)

Lite version, video plays while buffering. No choppiness. Not the best quality.
Original version, needs at least 3 minutes to load before watching. No choppiness after the video fully loads. High quality

I think you could improve the quality of the lite version a tiny bit and make the file a little larger while still maintaining the seamlessness of the streaming video. (at least on my connection you can smile.gif)

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Nov 18 2008, 04:29 PM
Learning Tone Master
I have a dsl-16000 connection and a dual core computer with 2g ram with windows xp, browser is firefox.

The light version buffers fully within a second while the old version buffers only a little bit faster than the actual video progress, but still preventing it from displaying choppy. It also isn't choppy when the vid is fully buffered.

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
Nov 18 2008, 04:29 PM
I thought World War 3 was occuring when I loaded up old version but I am on a work PC from the late 1800's laugh.gif

It is slow in loading up a Word document biggrin.gif

The new light version was perfect but quality could be upped even on this useless PC.

--------------------
Gear
Guitars:- Caparison Horus Snowcloud, Parker Nitefly M, Parker Nitefly SA, Gibson SG, Parker P10e, 40 Year Old Spanish Acoustic
Amps:- Framus Ruby Riot 2x12" stack

+Quote Post
Darfuria
Nov 18 2008, 04:32 PM
Both fine on my desktop PC on a 20Mb connection and my old 900MHz EEE PC on 3G

Both using the latest version of Flash player, tested in IE7 and Firefox on the desktop, IE6 and Firefox on the EEE.

This post has been edited by Darfuria: Nov 18 2008, 04:37 PM

--------------------
Want a website for you or your band? http://www.websiteformyband.com

+Quote Post
coffeeman
Nov 18 2008, 04:32 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
The new test version loaded pretty fast and worked perfectly. Old version is still "choppy".

--------------------
The only thing yo can do, is what you love!

Visit my youtube

+Quote Post
Fran
Nov 18 2008, 04:38 PM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
Computer: Toshiba laptop, PIV 3 Ghz 512 MB Ram
Connection: Cable 6Mbs

Normal vid: Less than 1 minute to load, plays fine once buffered. Great image quality.
Lite version: Loads in 10 secs, plays fine without waiting to buffer, lower inage quality.

One more thing: for some reason videos in the new player seem to be "rebuffered" every day, as if they weren't stored in temp files, like the old player used to do. Maybe it's a coincidence, but I had to load several times Trond's last lesson, while in the past it would be already buffered thanks to temp files. Hope I managed to explain myself here.

One last thing: Yesterday and the day before I noticed some choppiness in the new player videos, even after buffering. Then again it might be something on my end (too many apps running at same time maybe), as today it all plays fine.

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Nov 18 2008, 04:45 PM
GMC Founder
Thanks a lot for the great feedback - please keep it coming!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ramiro Delforte
Nov 18 2008, 04:57 PM
Instructor
With the lighter one I had no problem but the older one I had to abort the mission because I took soooo long to load the video that I've been waiting like 10 mins and it only loaded the first 4 sec.
I have a 1mb conection :S that could be the problem. Lucky me that this thursday I'm going to upgrade my conection up to 3mb, maybe then I could run the test.

--------------------
Check out my Instructor Profile and Board

LIVE VIDEO CHATS EVERY MONDAY AROUND 22PM (GMC HOUR)

+Quote Post
Praetorian
Nov 18 2008, 05:01 PM
Learning Apprentice Player & Challenge Star
Double post...sorry!

This post has been edited by Praetorian: Nov 18 2008, 05:09 PM

--------------------
Ben

Fender American Standard Stratocaster
Ibanez RG4EXQM1

+Quote Post
Praetorian
Nov 18 2008, 05:01 PM
Learning Apprentice Player & Challenge Star
Pentium 4 3.4 ghz dual core
2 gig ram
2x512 meg grapgics cards
Internet Explorer

Old version - still very choppy...played smoothly when fully buffered finally!

New Lite version - played and perfectly right away! Just like the old videos!

I don't really even notice a huge difference in the video quality either. I will gladly take the lite one with the instant loading times!

This post has been edited by Praetorian: Nov 18 2008, 05:08 PM

--------------------
Ben

Fender American Standard Stratocaster
Ibanez RG4EXQM1

+Quote Post
fkalich
Nov 18 2008, 05:13 PM
QUOTE (Ramiro Delforte @ Nov 18 2008, 10:57 AM) *
With the lighter one I had no problem but the older one I had to abort the mission because I took soooo long to load the video that I've been waiting like 10 mins and it only loaded the first 4 sec.
I have a 1mb conection :S that could be the problem. Lucky me that this thursday I'm going to upgrade my conection up to 3mb, maybe then I could run the test.

I just want to emphasize this. Across the Atlantic, we have must slower load times even in the best of times, because your server is in Holland. Not just a little slower. MUCH SLOWER. I think this fact is just overlooked. I am sure in Europe all is fine with 30mb. But with Holland serving everyone, we are going to be much slower over here.

The light version was still choppy on my Laptop, but not nearly as bad. Still unusable. I have a 5 year old lap top.

+Quote Post
Bondy
Nov 18 2008, 05:15 PM
Learning Roadie
The new version buffers much quicker than the old one, I did not have to hit the pause button. But on the old one i had to wait ages for it to load.

--------------------
www.minorglance.com
www.facebook.com/minorglance
www.facbook.com/majorlookband
www.twiter.com/minorglance

+Quote Post
fkalich
Nov 18 2008, 05:30 PM
I do get this Actionscript error
TypeError: Error #1010: A term is undefined and has no properties.
at org.oskaroberg.video::Tracks/getCurrentTrack()
at org.oskaroberg.video::Tracks/setVolume()
at org.oskaroberg.video::Tracks/::onLoadedE()
at flash.events::EventDispatcher/flash.events:EventDispatcher::dispatchEventFunction()
at flash.events::EventDispatcher/dispatchEvent()
at flash.net::URLLoader/flash.net:URLLoader::onComplete()

Also, CPU USAGE is real high for Foxfire. Even after the video completes, it stays high. With either version. Something is really wrong there, that should not happen.

Again, I am still choppy (not as extreme) with the light version, but I have a 5 year old lap top. My lap top is probably older than what the vast majority have, I realize that. So you may not care about my small segment of the market, in a business sense.

+Quote Post
kaznie_NL
Nov 18 2008, 05:38 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
New version works a lot better! the clipping only happened when playing a lesson video, for instance number 2, but in very low measures. A lot less then the old version at least!!

--------------------
My YouTube Channel Here

My Rec Takes Here

--- GEAR ---
Ibanez SA08LTD2 BAR
Vox AD50VT
Pod Farm
Line 6 Pod Studio GX
El Cheapo Strat
Dunlop Slide
Korg Toneworks AX5G

+Quote Post
Matt23
Nov 18 2008, 05:45 PM
Accomplished Tone Master
I'm using a failry new computer with Windows Vista (don't know the specs I'm afraid), and a 512MB broadband connection. I use Mozilla Firefox.
The old one loaded in 9 minutes, and the new one loaded in 1:40 minutes. I had no playing problems with either of them.

Edit: I also think lessons with the old player are loading slower than they used but it's hard to tell. If they are anyway it's not by much.

This post has been edited by Matt23: Nov 18 2008, 08:35 PM

+Quote Post
fkalich
Nov 18 2008, 06:01 PM
QUOTE (Matt23 @ Nov 18 2008, 11:45 AM) *
I'm using a failry new computer with Windows Vista (don't know the specs I'm afraid), and a 512MB broadband connection. I use Mozilla Firefox.
The old one loaded in 9 minutes, and the new one loaded in 1:40 minutes. I had no playing problems with either of them.

Edit: I also think lessons with the old player are loading xlower than they used but it's hard to tell. If they are anyway it's not by much.

I suspect you captured a slow period from the Holland server. I experienced that also. First the light video loaded quickly, then later it was very slow.

Sounds like I am the only one here who can't play the light version on my laptop. Maybe it is older than 5 years, maybe 6, I am not sure.

I do have to think that is due to a flash programming bug here, because of the CPU usage. As I pointed out, there is clearly a problem here. It should not be eating up all your CPU's when it is not even playing. Nobody else has commented on this. Hit alt-control-del and look at performance for the foxfire process, while the video is running, and after it completes.

edit: and I can play the video fine in another format. I know, shhhhh.

This post has been edited by fkalich: Nov 18 2008, 06:02 PM

+Quote Post
skennington
Nov 18 2008, 06:11 PM
Learning Roadie - Never Give Up - Moderator
(Work) Pentium 4 processor with 1 g of Ram and T3 connection.

Older version took like 8min to load. Still a bit choppy after loading.
Newer version was choppy during the 30 seconds or so it took to load. After that, played well. Quality was fine imo.

@ Ivan Great Lesson Man! smile.gif

+Quote Post
tommyboy
Nov 18 2008, 06:11 PM
I'm afraid I'm still having the choppiness. However, a bit better but still totally unusable. mad.gif

New Normal vid: about 28 seconds to load, plays terrible even when completely buffered. I don't see any image quality difference just bigger than the old player.
Lite version: Loads in 6 secs, plays better than the new normal but still totally unusable. Image quality is noticeably degraded from the New Normal player.

1.2 Ghz processor
1 gig ram
Linux (Ubuntu 8.10)
10 Mb connection
Firefox 3.0.4
Flashplayer 10.... latest version.
Nvidia video card (can't remember how much on board ram memory)

If I could make a suggestion, I'm all for testing and getting a new high res player going but until it's working on all systems why don't all the instructors making new lessons revert back to the old original player so us people that are having troubles can partake in the new lessons until the bugs are worked out of the new one. wink.gif

tommyboy

--------------------
Rock Hard or Not at ALL!!

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 03:10 AM