2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Bending With Vibrato
post Nov 19 2008, 03:21 PM
Post #21

Group: Passive
Member No.: 2.337

QUOTE (Jose Mena @ Nov 19 2008, 03:12 PM) *
I had the same problem, and this was due to lack of practice, I had a few years of playing maybe 3, and I noticed that I could shred but my vibrato sucked. Time to go back to basics, I went back to the old slash solos, and focused on the vibrato, but felt it wasn't getting any better. So I did something a little stupid maybe, but it worked.

I changed the gauge of my strings, I used to play 0.09 and switched to 0.10 and started practicing like that, the I went back and guess what, my vibrato could be wide and agressive on 0.09, however got so used to 0.10 that eventually I went back to 0.10 and was able to do vibrato still, I guess it was a way of gradually developing it.

I really believe that it's important to practise it with pure strength. as widely and controlled as possible, with bend if one's able to. ultimately it's just a matter or strength.
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
post Nov 19 2008, 03:24 PM
Post #22

Group: Members
Member No.: 4.056

Well, Marcus Lavendell has a series of vibrato lessons, and there are many others here at GMC. Check them out. Also, when bending a note up, just let the string go down a little and bring it back up back and forth, rather than trying to bend a note, and continue bending it in order to get vibrato. Hopefully that made sense, I don't think I explained it very well. unsure.gif
+Quote Post
post Nov 19 2008, 11:01 PM
Post #23

Learning Roadie

Member No.: 2.783

Thank you all for your help, it's very usefull!!

Sorry for replying so late, haven't been home a lot today...

@ Pi38: I do understand what you are saying, Thank you for the tip.

@ Jose: I'll begin doing vibrato excercises on my steel string acoustic, thank you for your help.
+Quote Post
post Dec 18 2008, 02:50 PM
Post #24

Member No.: 6.387

Hello Lester,
really good you put up this question.

I have the same problem with not knowing how to do it the right way.

Regarding Marcus Lavendell´s Vibrato Lessons, I´d say "wow!!! That´s really how one should do a vibrato. But how the heck can I get to this point". Regardless to say thats these lessons are stage 5 lessons, Marcus recommends to do the best to just copy his motions. And that doesn´t work for a semi-beginner like me.

I play for three years and studied Stetina Lessons and videos, and that Lavendell´s vibrato lesson are just as confusing.
It seems like it is one thing to be a virtuoso and another thing to try to copy a virtuosos motions.
Also Marty Friedman on Youtube could do no good to me. I had to laugh (desperately) as he said: if you know the note that you bend to you have a thousend ways to get there and add vibrato.

Seems like there is not only one way to get to the goal. But from what I´ve heard and read in this forum, there seems no way to get to the goal if you don´t find it yourself...and that is quiet frustrating.

I´m working on my vibrato for two years and I´m getting more demotivated and demotivated the more I practise.
Consider your sitting there and wait for the enlightenment that doesn´t come. And all the motions you do seem to be wrong because it sounds just awfull compared to the virtuosos.

I´m just soooo confused.
One sais I only do it with the fingers. Another guy sais, don´t do that, it sucks, use your wrist. The third one sais, don´t you dare to forget an elbow motion....that sure goes to the point where one means the only true vibrato can be done with your arm in plaster on a trampolin.

I hoped to find some lessons on guitarmasterclass and only found the Lavendell-Lessons which are far above my skill.
Does anybody know some lessons in a beginner stage with a little explanation to it?
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd October 2016 - 06:20 AM