> Simple Recording ?
David Berntsen
post Nov 24 2008, 01:37 PM
Post #1

GMC:er

Group: Members
Member No.: 5.675

Hello all GMC friends! smile.gif

I've just got my first electric guitar, after playing acoustic for a year and a half, so i though i'd try recording some leads n riffs. I have a Vox AC30VT and i think i heard somewhere that it has preamp build in (I don't know much about amps, correct me if i'm wrong), and that it was possible to just plug it in to my soundcard and record through a some program?

I'm also looking for at relativly easy to use rocording program?

Peace out!!

--------------------
Gear:
Guitars: Acoustic Takamin EG128SC, Old no-name Western, Electric: Fender Mex. Stratocaster With Fender texas Special middel and neck. And Seymour Duncan Hot rail bridge.
Amp: Vox AD30VT
Effects: Boss DS-1, Boss SD-1, Boss BD-2
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
post Nov 24 2008, 06:05 PM
Post #2

Instructor
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 3.341

Preamp in Vox is part of the amp. When using it's record function, you will skip the poweramp section and use only the preamp of your amp, as opposed when you're playing on the amp itself. In that case you will run through preamp, go to poweramp, and to the speaker. You should check out if your amp has a DI out in the back. This DI out can be connected to computer for recording.

I recommend that you start with Reaper recording program.

One question mate - what audio card do you have in your pc?

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Jackson
post Nov 24 2008, 06:10 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 5.368

Really bad at recording, I just got Reaper...first of all I can't even find the record button and if I record where does it record from

Thanks in advance

+Quote Post
Smikey2006
post Nov 24 2008, 07:07 PM
Post #4

Group Icon

Group: GMC Wiki:er
Member No.: 1.697

Im gunna ask the long time question here... Reaper or Protools.. And what micraphone is most cost effective..im not a rich man but i don't want really sloppy recordings either smile.gif

--------------------
Schecter Exotic Star+ Peavey VK
Ibanez Xiphos 707 + Krank Revolution 100
Damien 7

Wishlist
Schecter Customshop
Schecter 2008 Blackjack
Damage Control Timeline Delay Pedal/Distortion
a laptop that runs protools :'(

+Quote Post
Jeff
post Nov 24 2008, 07:50 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 706

QUOTE (Smikey2006 @ Nov 24 2008, 01:07 PM) *
Im gunna ask the long time question here... Reaper or Protools.. And what micraphone is most cost effective..im not a rich man but i don't want really sloppy recordings either smile.gif

Always depends on what you want to spend. I prefer Protools, however, Reaper is a lot cheaper. You can get into Protools for somewhere around $300 with an Mbox.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MBox2Mini

Reaper can be had for free for a while and then $50 for license.

If you are only looking for only one good mic to record with, I would go with a Sure SM 57. Great for recording guitar, drums, bass, and even vocals if set up right.

+Quote Post
David Berntsen
post Nov 24 2008, 07:54 PM
Post #6

Thank you Ivan I think it has a DI output.
as far as Soundcard goes. I got a reall crapy one i think its called Creative soundblaster live. Its a really old one, will it ruin the whole think you think? smile.gif

--------------------
Gear:
Guitars: Acoustic Takamin EG128SC, Old no-name Western, Electric: Fender Mex. Stratocaster With Fender texas Special middel and neck. And Seymour Duncan Hot rail bridge.

+Quote Post
Nemanja Filipovi...
post Nov 24 2008, 08:03 PM
Post #7

Singing Instructor
Group Icon

Member No.: 3.960

QUOTE (David Berntsen @ Nov 24 2008, 07:54 PM) *
as far as Soundcard goes. I got a reall crapy one i think its called Creative soundblaster live. Its a really old one, will it ruin the whole think you think? smile.gif

I think you will need a bit better sound card for your recordings.Sound card needs to have good converters,I recomend E-mu 0404, http://www.emu.com/products/product.asp?product=10447.

--------------------
Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

Participate im my new Crazy Blues Collaboration

+Quote Post
David Berntsen
post Nov 24 2008, 08:09 PM
Post #8

QUOTE (Nemanja Filipovic @ Nov 24 2008, 08:03 PM) *
I think you will need a bit better sound card for your recordings.Sound card needs to have good converters,I recomend E-mu 0404, http://www.emu.com/products/product.asp?product=10447.

Okay, i though so.. smile.gif
But is it possible to get a decent recording with my specs. My budget is -250$ right now so, i haven't gt money for new gear. smile.gif

--------------------
Gear:

+Quote Post
Jeff
post Nov 24 2008, 08:22 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 706

QUOTE (David Berntsen @ Nov 24 2008, 02:09 PM) *
Okay, i though so.. smile.gif
But is it possible to get a decent recording with my specs. My budget is -250$ right now so, i haven't gt money for new gear. smile.gif

Hi David,

Here are two options: http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/UA4FX
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/FastTrackPro/

If you can step up another $50 this is better: http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MBox2Mini/

These are all external as opposed to the emu unit. Of course all of this depends on what kind of PC you have. What is your current setup?

+Quote Post
ItsMe
post Nov 24 2008, 08:37 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 4.541

BTW the Line out of your vox has DI and can be used directly. It uses some speaker simulation based on Vox combos. It actually works pretty well.

This post has been edited by ItsMe: Nov 24 2008, 08:38 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
post Nov 24 2008, 10:27 PM
Post #11

Instructor
Group Icon

Member No.: 3.341

QUOTE (David Berntsen @ Nov 24 2008, 07:54 PM) *

The thing with Live! card is that it has big latency. Latency is measured in miliseconds and the faster the card, the lower the latency. Latency is the time that takes the signal to be processed in the soundcard. You can use Live! don't worry, you will have a good enough quality to make some simple projects. You will have to sync your files a bit because they will be recorded with a bit of latency and that's all. Also you will need a cable that will connect your DI out to your Line In on the card. These cables can be a bit expensive so try to find a slightly cheaper version of it.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
post Nov 25 2008, 12:37 AM
Post #12

Bass & Beginner Instructor
Group Icon

Member No.: 3.410

As people said above..You can use Reaper for recording and hooking your amps DI out to sound cards line in..You will need a proper cable to do that.Than you will be able to record your playing and everything.But keep in mind since you don't have a very good sound card that latency will occur..In practice that means : you play back the backing on PC and jam over it , once its recorded - when you play it back your recorded track will be a little late..You will have to bring it back few milliseconds etc..You will be able to put it in time and everything but the process can be a little annoying.Thats the option for recording with your current gear..If you want to invest some money I would suggest getting a Line6 Toneport device , it can be even Toneport GX (cheapest and most simple one)..They will all sound great and will be more practical.They are basically external sound card connected through USB.Recording process with them is really simple : plug in your guitar directly in it (no need for amp use) , start the Gearbox software you get with it (in which you have different amp simulators/effects - basically everything you need to dial in a good sound), open your favorite recording software (set toneport as recording device in it) and hit the record button! Toneports have very little latency so that won't be bothering you.

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!
My solo and band songs : Keep Going On, Night Vibe, Kad Te Vidim, Susret, Plava Silueta

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd September 2017 - 02:53 AM