Reply to this topicStart new topic
> A Good Cab Or A Good Power Amp?
Power_Arctica
post Nov 25 2008, 11:10 AM
Post #1

GMC:er

Group: Members
Member No.: 3.347

Hi there, the last friday i bought a Sansamp PSA1 Preamp (I´ll make a review soon). Im using it in a combo Laney Lx65r, yesterday i used it with a JCM900. It sounds much better than the JCM900 without a doubt but i think it could be better using a power amp and not the head´s power.
I dont have the money to buy a great cab and a great power amp, so i was thinking to buy a good cab 2x12 and save money with the power amp. What do you think??

Thanks for your replies!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
post Nov 25 2008, 02:09 PM
Post #2

Instructor
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 3.341

Sure that's a good option. 2x12 is a good choice, specially if you carry it around a lot, and you can get Rocktron Velocity poweramp or something similar to save money on the that side.

This post has been edited by Ivan Milenkovic: Nov 25 2008, 02:10 PM

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Marcus Siepen
post Nov 25 2008, 04:45 PM
Post #3

Instructor (Blind Guardian)
Group Icon

Member No.: 4.464

Depending on what sounds you need I would even recommend a 4x12 cab. For heavy sounds it will give you a much more powerful sound.

--------------------
Guitars: various Gibson Les Pauls / Gibson J 45
Amps: Mesa Boogie Tripple Rectifier / Triaxis / 2:90 Poweramp / Rectocabs
Effects: Rocktron Intellifex / Rocktron Xpression
Homepage: www.marcussiepen.com www.blind-guardian.com
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post
Power_Arctica
post Nov 25 2008, 04:56 PM
Post #4

Thank You Ivan and Marcus!
Well, i choose 2x12 because ill use it in my home and to play in live with my band (smalls pubs)...and well, its cheaper than a 4x12 hehehe.... but, in the future i want to play with 4x12!!!!!

My doubt was if i spend more money in a cab or in a poweramp... and well, ill spend more money to get a better cab!!

Thank you guys!!!

--------------------

+Quote Post
kjutte
post Nov 25 2008, 06:04 PM
Post #5

Group: Passive
Member No.: 2.337

QUOTE (Power_Arctica @ Nov 25 2008, 11:10 AM) *
Hi there, the last friday i bought a Sansamp PSA1 Preamp (I´ll make a review soon). Im using it in a combo Laney Lx65r, yesterday i used it with a JCM900. It sounds much better than the JCM900 without a doubt but i think it could be better using a power amp and not the head´s power.
I dont have the money to buy a great cab and a great power amp, so i was thinking to buy a good cab 2x12 and save money with the power amp. What do you think??

Thanks for your replies!

Hey man. Basically you can connect the preamp to your computer while you wait for money to cab+poweramp.
You just need a DI box with cabsim.

This post has been edited by kjutte: Nov 25 2008, 06:04 PM

+Quote Post
tommyboy
post Nov 26 2008, 02:27 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 6.175

QUOTE (Power_Arctica @ Nov 25 2008, 04:10 AM) *

Thanks for your replies!

Closed back cabinets will definitely sound better than a combo. Marcus is right, a 4x12 will sound much bigger than a 2x12. I have 2 4x12's myself and I've found I can get tone I'm looking for much easier with less volume than when I used to play through a 2 x12 combo. So don't let the size of a 4x12 fool you into thinking just because it's bigger it necessarily will be to much volume.

A dedicated true power amp will give you cleaner power. Letting your preamp do it's work better. However, without good speakers it's all for not. My vote's for the cabinet.

tommyboy

--------------------
Rock Hard or Not at ALL!!

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
post Nov 26 2008, 02:42 PM
Post #7

Instructor
Group Icon

Member No.: 2.159

Just bare one thing in mind,
using preamp with any combo is not perfect match
cause combo already has a preamp section.
You need a poweramp AND cab,not OR. smile.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
Power_Arctica
post Nov 26 2008, 07:37 PM
Post #8

QUOTE (tommyboy @ Nov 26 2008, 02:27 PM) *
Closed back cabinets will definitely sound better than a combo. Marcus is right, a 4x12 will sound much bigger than a 2x12. I have 2 4x12's myself and I've found I can get tone I'm looking for much easier with less volume than when I used to play through a 2 x12 combo. So don't let the size of a 4x12 fool you into thinking just because it's bigger it necessarily will be to much volume.

A dedicated true power amp will give you cleaner power. Letting your preamp do it's work better. However, without good speakers it's all for not. My vote's for the cabinet.

tommyboy

Hi Tommy! Im in doubt now... i always thougth that 4x12 is too much power to play in my home and playing with low volume may decrease sound quality

QUOTE (Muris Varajic @ Nov 26 2008, 02:42 PM) *
Just bare one thing in mind,
using preamp with any combo is not perfect match
cause combo already has a preamp section.
You need a poweramp AND cab,not OR. smile.gif

Hi Muris! Yeah, you`re right about it isnt a perfect match...my idea is to use the preamp with the combo until i can get the cab and the poweramp. First, i plug the preamp into the loop of the combo to use only the poweramp section.... but the sounds is better when i use the input

I keep in mind i need a cab and a poweramp, but i havent money to buy a good cab and a good poweramp.... so my doubt was to buy a good cab and a not so good poweramp or a good poweramp and a not so good cab.

The title of the topic is confusing, ill change now!!! L would lov to explain it in spanish!!! hehehehe biggrin.gif

Thanks a lot guys!!!!

This post has been edited by Power_Arctica: Nov 27 2008, 01:37 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
post Nov 27 2008, 12:57 AM
Post #9

Instructor
Group Icon

How much money are we talking here mate? smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
post Nov 27 2008, 01:34 AM
Post #10

Instructor
Group Icon

Member No.: 2.159

QUOTE (Power_Arctica @ Nov 26 2008, 07:37 PM) *
Hi Muris! Yeah, you`re right about it isnt a perfect match...my idea is to use the preamp with the combo until i can get the cab and the poweramp. First, i plug the preamp into the loop of the combo to use his only the poweramp section.... but the sounds its better when i use the input

I keep in mind i need a cab and a poweramp, but i havent money to buy a good cab and a good poweramp.... so my doubt was to buy a good cab and a not so good poweramp or a good poweramp and a not so good cab.

The title of the topic is confusing, ill change now!!! L would lov to explain it in spanish!!! hehehehe biggrin.gif

Thanks a lot guys!!!!

I see,I missed the topic as well then. smile.gif
have you thought of selling that combo to get more money,
perhaps for both power amp and a cab?

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
Power_Arctica
post Nov 27 2008, 02:09 AM
Post #11

QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Nov 27 2008, 12:57 AM) *
How much money are we talking here mate? smile.gif

Whats Up Ivan?? Well, im from Argentina... here, with the devaluation, imported stuff are very expensive (U$ 1 = 3.3 argentinian money). To give you some idea here an Epiphone Les Paul Standard costs u$s 787, i was looking prizes in Spain and with that money i can buy a Gibson LP Custom second hand!! When here the Lp Custom (new) costs u$s 4848

Well, the cab (2x12) costs around u$s300, its made in Argentina with Celestion speakers or i can get a custom one for the same prize. Here a Marshall 1960a costs u$s 1106, its inaccessible!
The poweramp costs u$s 240, a cheaper one.

QUOTE (Muris Varajic @ Nov 27 2008, 01:34 AM) *
I see,I missed the topic as well then. smile.gif
have you thought of selling that combo to get more money,
perhaps for both power amp and a cab?

Yes, ill sell the combo to buy the cab biggrin.gif And with the credit card buy a cheaper poweramp. Maybe in a couple of months can get a better poweramp. But guess that with a good cab and the "cheaper" poweramp can get better sounds than with the combo...what do you think??

Thanks again guys! rolleyes.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
post Nov 27 2008, 02:33 AM
Post #12

Instructor
Group Icon

The good thing about the cab is that you can buy a bit cheaper 2x12 now and upgrade the speakers later. With poweramp you can't really do that. Also I wanted to ask you how much money you have for the gear. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
tommyboy
post Nov 27 2008, 02:38 AM
Post #13

Member No.: 6.175

QUOTE (Power_Arctica @ Nov 26 2008, 12:37 PM) *
Hi Tommy! Im in doubt now... i always thougth that 4x12 is too much power to play in my home and playing with low volume may decrease sound quality

4x12's used are just about the same price as 2x12's. Crazy considering your getting twice the speakers for just a bit more.

Go for the cabinet! Here's my theory.
If you have a great cabinet you can play any amp (preamp) head, combo etc. through it. Considering the number of amps, heads, etc it's funny how a 4x12 cabinet is still the holy grail of tone. Amps come and go but good amps are only as good as their weakest link. Trust me, get a great cabinet and the amps start to look more like what they should. A way for you to portray your music as you see fit.

tommyboy

P.S. Just to prove my point a bit more. Look at a company like Marshall Amplification. How many different amp heads designs etc. have they produced? Now, look and see how many 4x12 cabinets models they offer. Kind of funny how their 1960 lead model has been around since the beginning but is still the industry standard. Until you've owned and played through a 4x12 you will never appreciate the pure ecstasy a great guitar tone creates when it's you creating the tone!

--------------------
Rock Hard or Not at ALL!!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th January 2017 - 02:17 PM