Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Tell Your Story!
showyourfist
post Dec 10 2008, 04:54 AM
Post #1

GMC:er

Group: Members
Member No.: 6.352

Tell your story about how your guitaring/musical tastes developed!

I started out as a blues player for about the first year of my guitaring (haivng been heavily influenced by my dads playing and my families music tastes) I listened too alot of metal and eighties rock at the time, but I always wanted too be a master at the blues. I learnt classics by john lee hooker, chuck berry, johnny winter, jimmy page, stevie ray vaughn (I was never a hendrix fan until recently) and played blues/hard rock such as UFO and whitesnake. Having been an avid fan of Iron Maiden I messed around with a few of their songs too. I spent days and days learning the MSG song into the arena. I also tried too play slide guitar in the style of eric sardinas (although I failed miserably) and I played acoustic songs by Neil young and jethro tull.

Near the end of school, I found a video on youtube of Steve Vai, i was familiar with Joe Satriani's music but never paid much attention at the time. I saw Steve Vai's performance of Bad Horsie live at the Astoria and my draw dropped. I then quickly proceded too buy the entire DVD and the G3 perfomance with Steve Vai, Joe Satriani and Yngwie Malmsteen. by the time school had finished and the summer holidays before college had started I had a growing collection of steve vai, malmsteen and satch albums. I watched the astoria and G3 DVD's back too back for the next six weeks i did nothing BUT play guitar, if I found a new steve vai song, I would learn it, a new satch song, learn it, I loved the malmsteen songs, but could never hope too play them.

Halfway through the summer my dad introduced me too megadeth who were quickly too become my all time favourite band and my most influential one. I had never heard anything quite like Marty Friedmans wailing guitar solos combined with attitude and speed at the same time restrained from being over the top or out of context with the song and dave mustaine's outlandish choice of composition, the chaos he could create with a few chords. Near the end of the summer and the first few months of college, my life was on the road upside down and I connected better with megadeths music, than anything I had heard before.

it was during may 2007 that I realized my guitaring was suffering, I had fallen out with my family, lost my girlfriend and my college was failing and I had no job. All I wanted too do was go away and play guitar again, I was scared because I wanted too be a musician and I couldn't play anything like I used too, I knew some new techniques and my eyes had opened too the hundreds of possibilites presented through the guitar, but I couldn't play them neither did I have the time too sit down and learn them.

I had a love for thrash metal and this was the ONLY thing I excelled in at the time.

during the summer of 2007 I started discovering new music. I spent hours and hours during the night/early morning hours trying too find new music, it was the only thing keeping my alive, this passion and control over something magical that changes the lives of everyone. i was starting too discover the heavier side of metal. I was becoming a huge fan of bands like morbid angel, death, testament, nevermore. (it's also worth noting at around this time, my older sister was becoming a huge glam metal/rock fan, she has an amazing singing voice thanks too the amount of whitesnake she sang!)

my life took a turn for the worse near the end of 2007, I had started too get my skills back, but there were still boundaries too overcome, I was creeping into a whirlpool that I still havn't escaped from, I listened too alot of black metal, any thing dark, anything weird or outlandish and I loved the atmosphere.

On new years day, I lost my next girlfriend, three months later, I lost all my friends except for a very few close ones. It was at this point, I started too take my music and guitar very seriously, i had developed a very close relationship too music.

After college finished I got all my skills back and more, I look into every nook and cranny of music I possibly can, incorporating jazz, metal, blues, folk, classical, traditional into my playing. I listen too everything I come across. I've done nothing but work and play guitar and jam with a few friends/an ongoing band and I've been thinking of applying too the Bristol Institue of Modern Music!

Now tell your stories! biggrin.gif

--------------------

I've had three wives and three guitars. I still play the guitars-Andres Segovia
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
mba64
post Dec 10 2008, 06:55 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 6.199

I started to play guitar when a friend to me own me money and gave me a guitar insted, I was 28 then I played for a year and then sold the guitar for my girlfriend dont like guitars.
Then when i was 43 I started to play again and now I am 44 and got rid of my wife she dident like guitar playing either.
But now I am singel and can play as much I want.
I like 80 Hardrock,Metal and all music with heavy guitars also blues. rolleyes.gif

--------------------
LTD WA-600 (EMG JH)
Cort Bass
M-Audio AV40

+Quote Post
FrankW
post Dec 10 2008, 07:29 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 5.004

QUOTE (mba64 @ Dec 10 2008, 06:55 AM) *
I started to play guitar when a friend to me own me money and gave me a guitar insted, I was 28 then I played for a year and then sold the guitar for my girlfriend dont like guitars.
Then when i was 43 I started to play again and now I am 44 and got rid of my wife she dident like guitar playing either.
But now I am singel and can play as much I want.
I like 80 Hardrock,Metal and all music with heavy guitars also blues. rolleyes.gif

laugh.gif It sounds like you got it right the second time around. biggrin.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2017 - 11:05 AM