Martial Arts, Aikido?
JVM
Dec 11 2008, 03:06 AM
Learning Roadie
Hi guys. Several years ago when I was a wee lad, I took a little bit of Tae kwon do, but after having to move I never got very far. Now, I am interested again in learning an art, for self defense (not that I get into fights... hardly ever tongue.gif), but also largely for fitness and fun. I've become pretty interested in Aikido, I like the philosophy behind it (prevent harm to yourself AND your opponent) and in fact they teach it where I go to school. I am thinking next semester I'll sign up for a class even if it doesn't end up being the art for me (after all, you can always take techniques and experience with you).

So, I'm wondering, I know we have had a few martial arts threads here before. What are your guys opinions on the best ones for my purposes? I don't need to be winning any tournaments, but I've heard Aikido can sometimes be a little unrealistic and maybe hard to adapt to a real fight. Don't really know myself. Doing some research, it seems the school of Aikido known as 'Shodokan' Aikido has developed around this and features more competitive sparring. What do you guys think?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Gear: Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Gibson '67 RI Flying V, Mesa Boogie F-30 112 combo, crazy pedals.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
FrankW
Dec 11 2008, 04:28 AM
GMC:er
This is just my opinion now, but if you are planning on investing time, energy, and money into a martial art, make it Brazilian Jujitsu. It combines the skills of grappling, wrestling, and submission holds that will not only be a practical self defense weapon, but will put you into killer shape. If you have watched any UFC fights, you know that all the top fighters are skilled primarily in Brazilian Jujitsu.

The fact is that Brazilian Jujitsu, along with the killer striking components of Muay Thai or boxing, is the lethal combination if you find yourself in a scrap. Just ask Anderson Silva if you don't believe me. Brazilian Jujitsu has become the dominant martial art by exposing the weaknesses of other martial arts as is evidenced in the UFC octagon. Since 99% of all fights wind up on the ground, it's the skills you have while on the ground that make all the difference. Brazilian Jujitsu will give you those skills. smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Pitch_Black
Dec 11 2008, 05:00 AM
I did tae kwon do for a while and really liked it:)

--------------------
Gear:
Amps:
Vox AD50VT
Yamaha GA-10
Guitars:
Gibson SG
Hohner Acoustic
Effects:
Digitech Death Metal Pedal
Dunlop Crybaby 535q Wah Pedal
And a lot on my Vox

Long Live Rock And Roll!

+Quote Post
JVM
Dec 11 2008, 06:07 AM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (FrankW @ Dec 10 2008, 10:28 PM) *
This is just my opinion now, but if you are planning on investing time, energy, and money into a martial art, make it Brazilian Jujitsu. It combines the skills of grappling, wrestling, and submission holds that will not only be a practical self defense weapon, but will put you into killer shape. If you have watched any UFC fights, you know that all the top fighters are skilled primarily in Brazilian Jujitsu.

The fact is that Brazilian Jujitsu, along with the killer striking components of Muay Thai or boxing, is the lethal combination if you find yourself in a scrap. Just ask Anderson Silva if you don't believe me. Brazilian Jujitsu has become the dominant martial art by exposing the weaknesses of other martial arts as is evidenced in the UFC octagon. Since 99% of all fights wind up on the ground, it's the skills you have while on the ground that make all the difference. Brazilian Jujitsu will give you those skills. smile.gif

Hmm, yes, I've heard of it and seen some of the UFC fights. Intense stuff. That's the thing though - it seems like a very intense sport. Kind of a rugby instead of football, if you catch my drift. Maybe I have the wrong impression though. Also, you say 99% of fights end up on the ground (assuming thats an exaggeration, but I get the idea), but really I think the 'average scrap' would, 99% of the time, be with an inexperienced and or untrained fighter. I don't plan on getting into fights with ninjas now tongue.gif In other words, I think any basic self defense kind of training would probably be more than adequate in the 'average scrap'. No doubt though, jujitsu would get me into great shape. Maybe you can still convince me? But at the moment I still feel its not for me.

--------------------
Gear: Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Gibson '67 RI Flying V, Mesa Boogie F-30 112 combo, crazy pedals.

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Dec 11 2008, 02:09 PM
Instructor
Tae-kwon-do is more about legs, and Aikido is about the whole body movements, using less power in order to defend effectively. IMO any of the martial arts are good for physical shape and condition, cause trenings can be intense and exhausting depending how much you practice.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
blindwillie
Dec 19 2008, 08:32 AM
QUOTE (JVM @ Dec 11 2008, 03:06 AM) *
I like the philosophy behind it (prevent harm to yourself AND your opponent)

So, I'm wondering, I know we have had a few martial arts threads here before. What are your guys opinions on the best ones for my purposes? I don't need to be winning any tournaments, but I've heard Aikido can sometimes be a little unrealistic and maybe hard to adapt to a real fight. Don't really know myself. Doing some research, it seems the school of Aikido known as 'Shodokan' Aikido has developed around this and features more competitive sparring. What do you guys think?

If your main reason is fitness and fun, and with the first part above, I think aikido would suit you well. There are others that are more suited for hurting people but if that's your goal then you will have to push your body hard and will hurt yourself on the way. I'm sure you know that since you've done TKD smile.gif To be at least slightly prominent in BJJ you have to work VERY hard.

If I was to pick it up again and my body could stand the pain and work required I would do Muay Thai simple because I love to watch MT fights, but I'm to old for the pain now.

If I had the option (access to training partners) I would do Systema without hesitating.
Systema is a russian fighting system fine tuned by Spetnaz. It's gaining reputation and is incorporated in western special ops training too now.
Systema shares ideas with aikido in many ways. Emphasising posture, breathing, movement and balance. It's a system that takes your overall health into consideration. If you are hurt, you don't function.

If I remember it right I think you have Systema in NC, Raleigh even (I was active in their forum when I still did MA):
http://www.russianmartialart.com/main.php?...ates&loc=us. I know there have been seminars in NC.

--------------------

Schecter C1 Hellraiser EMG 81/85, replaced with JB/Jazz (SH4/SH2n) w. coilsplit
Schecter Revenger HB-105, replaced with EMG 81/85
Stratocaster Deluxe Players Noiseless
Ibanez 2550z
Blackstar HT5H, Blackheart BH5H w. BH112, Laney LX35D, Line6 Pod XT, Marshall MS-2
Headphones: Sennheiser RS120

Stay tuned...

+Quote Post
etrodai
Dec 19 2008, 09:00 AM
for me even brazilian jiu jitsu is an unrealistic martial art. i have trained with some really good guys, but there is too much reliance on the gi for techniques. For me no gi grappling ie. submission wrestling is far superior, unless you plan on competing in BJJ tournaments that is. Whn you roll no gi with a guy who has only done traditional BJJ he can sometimes seem as clueless as an untrained guy because he has no gi to grip on to.

if your intererstedin striking arts then i would suggest muay thai, in my opinion its the best most realistic striking art there is, but if you want to get good at it you need to spar, which means you need to find good guys to train with who will spar at an approproiate level for you.

Also grappling is one of the quickest martial arts to learn because you can do live sparring which can't be done in striking arts. this means that you will build your technique up really quickly. Once a new guy comes to the gym it's maybe only a couple of months of solid practice before he's got some decent technique and is tapping people out.

+Quote Post
MickeM
Dec 19 2008, 09:03 AM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
If you want to be able to defend yourself in a real quarrel - you hinted that might be happening - there's one simple rule, choose a technique where you keep both feet on the ground at all times. Kicking looks cool on the mat but if you're not very very skilled it can and will work against you if you decide to go at it in the streets.

And on a side note I think street fights are just foolish, is you want to avoind those, practice running. Seriously!

Either way that renders Aikido rather useless. Brazilian jiu jitsu that was mentioned looks perfect, I have no experience from it though. When I was young there were boxing and wrestling. Wrestlers who know a bit of boxing are tough.

Same as the russian technique that Blindwillie mentioned, looks to be a lot about balance (both feet on the ground)

This post has been edited by MickeM: Dec 19 2008, 09:05 AM

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Dec 19 2008, 10:17 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (MickeM @ Dec 19 2008, 09:03 AM) *
And on a side note I think street fights are just foolish, is you want to avoind those, practice running. Seriously!

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

I used to do Karate when I was a kid but seriously it never helped me in the fight laugh.gif

Aikido could be cool one but I recommend you watch Russ Butten (I think I spelled it right , UFC guy smile.gif video on Self Deffence and Bar fight smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
blindwillie
Dec 20 2008, 12:19 AM
QUOTE (Pedja Simovic @ Dec 19 2008, 10:17 PM) *
laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

I used to do Karate when I was a kid but seriously it never helped me in the fight laugh.gif

Aikido could be cool one but I recommend you watch Russ Butten (I think I spelled it right , UFC guy smile.gif video on Self Deffence and Bar fight smile.gif

Bass Rutten? tongue.gif

--------------------

Ibanez 2550z
Blackstar HT5H, Blackheart BH5H w. BH112, Laney LX35D, Line6 Pod XT, Marshall MS-2

Stay tuned...

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Dec 20 2008, 08:24 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (blindwillie @ Dec 20 2008, 12:19 AM) *
Bass Rutten? tongue.gif

Haha yeah man thats the guy !
I had 2 dvds of his fighting school back in USA. Just type it in google you can find it or amazon , ebay etc smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Tolek
Dec 20 2008, 09:47 AM
Learning Rock Star
I´ve been practising Judo for about 9 years. I stopped because of time issues...
It makes a lot of fun, you stay in a good condition, you learn how to defend yourself in a very smart way,... . Judo is awesome. smile.gif "Judo" means "gentle way". So, the goal of it is to throw the opponent to the ground, to force him to give up (by locking the elbow or by executing a choke) or to immobilize him on the floor.

Just go for it, it´s awesome.

+Quote Post
JVM
Dec 20 2008, 11:52 PM
Learning Roadie
Judo and Systema sound really interesting. Will look more into them.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Fran
Dec 20 2008, 11:56 PM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
I was reading this thread yesterday, and was curious so I youtubed both Anderson Silva and Bass Rutten and... I'm glad I never get into fights laugh.gif What those guys can do is unbelievable!

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post
blindwillie
Dec 26 2008, 10:40 AM
QUOTE (Fran @ Dec 20 2008, 11:56 PM) *
I was reading this thread yesterday, and was curious so I youtubed both Anderson Silva and Bass Rutten and... I'm glad I never get into fights laugh.gif What those guys can do is unbelievable!

Hehe, yeah. Rutten is evil smile.gif
His training methods is not for the regular guy that just needs a good workout.

--------------------

Ibanez 2550z

Stay tuned...

+Quote Post
besip
Dec 27 2008, 01:13 AM
QUOTE (Tolek @ Dec 20 2008, 04:47 AM) *
I´ve been practising Judo for about 9 years. I stopped because of time issues...

Yeaah time issues it's the main problem mad.gif i'm also like martial arts..as youg person i'm was do Kung-fu aikido and Kick box...but all of this sport was break by time issues...now i'm i'm also like guitar and somethime also over here it's time issue problem

why 1 day don"t have 50 hours???? mad.gif rolleyes.gif

To JMV-- if you like aikido go to aikido cool.gif actualy right now if i'm be have time i'm be go for Ju-justu but thats just my opinion....i'm was have also fun as young guy with Bruce lee 1 Kung-fu style Wing Tsun.....
but The Time Issues is problem so now i'm trying to play just Guitar and visiting Gym for some weight lifting rolleyes.gif

This post has been edited by besip: Dec 27 2008, 01:16 AM

--------------------
[
MY Gear
Jackson Sl2h
Digitech DF-7
PodXt

+Quote Post
audiopaal
Dec 27 2008, 02:18 PM
Competitions Coordinator - Up the Irons
Find an MMA school, and they might be able to train you in various things like Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Thai Boxing, Strength and Conditioning etc. smile.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 06:30 PM