> Marshall Heads, Just some questions
Sircraigery
post Dec 15 2008, 05:27 AM
Post #21

GMC:er

Group: Members
Member No.: 1.835

QUOTE (tommyboy @ Dec 15 2008, 04:53 AM) *
The fun thing about this discussion is that all of the amps we are talking about sound awesome. It's really a matter of splitting hairs once you've acquired a really good tube amp. Why aren't we talking about the Mesa Triaxis. This might just be the most versital tube preamp ever made. Marshall's JMP is quite the unit also. The only reason I pointed out the JCM 2000 DSL was because the 2203 JCM 800 voicing in contained in this amp. But you can pick one up for pennys considering what a new 2203KK goes for.

Yeah, I agree they are all good amps. And for over $1000, they should be haha.

--------------------
Guitars:
Ibanez Prestige RG2610E [BKP Cold Sweat]
Ibanez Prestige RG2550E [Carbon Fiber Plastics]
Ibanez Roadstar II RS-135 [Stock]
Quest Acoustic [Stock]

Effects:
Electro-Harmonix Metal Muff
Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah
Boss DR-3 Dr. Rhythym

Amp:
Marshall JCM2000 DSL 401

'Only the dead have seen the end of the war.' - Plato
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
tommyboy
post Dec 15 2008, 05:59 AM
Post #22

Member No.: 6.175

QUOTE (FrankW @ Dec 14 2008, 10:22 PM) *
I owned a couple of 50 watt JCM 800s as well as the 25th anniversary Jubilee head. I sold them like an idiot a long time ago. I didn't know the DSL had the JCM 800 voicing. That kind of invalidates the one stupid, immature remark I read about it doesn't it? I got rid of a Dual Rectifier which was also a mistake. I bought the TSL 100 solely based on the overdriven preamp sound in the music store. You know, where it wasn't really cranked.

To be honest, I haven't cranked this amp ever in the three years that I've owned it. I couldn't tell you what it really sounds like. I've read mixed reviews about it, but most love it. I haven't needed to crank it of late because I haven't jammed with anyone in a while. It needs new tubes because it keeps blowing fuses, so I'll put something cool in it based on that tube website you posted. Any suggestions?

I also read alot about the Triaxis. Coupled with a killer power amp like maybe the Marshall 9200 monoblock, and you'd really have something. Have you checked out the Road King? This monster has 4-6L6s, and 2 EL34s. Check out the Mesa website and see what this thing is capable of, it's revolutionary. I too, love talking about amps. smile.gif

The JCM 2000's are based on the 1959 Plexi's and the 2203 JCM 800. Are they perfect no, are they really close yes!

All good tube amps sound better loud...I think it's in part to the sheer power and the amount of air they move. But it's also in part to how they respond to your playing when played loud. Gives me goose bumps when no one's home and I can really turn it up.

As far at tubes go I'm thinking of trying the KT77 high gain set. Not that I need more gain or bottom end but the idea that I could possible get more is quite tempting. I much prefer to drive my amp harder on the front end with my gain turn down. I think the overdrive is warmer and leans a bit towards old school. Does that make sense.

The Mesa Road King is a monster. It also carries a monster price tag. If your willing to spend 2000 to 3000 dollars then I don't care if it a peavey it'll sound good.

Here's a couple of links for anyone who doubts wheather or not the JCM 800 lives and breaths in a JCM 2000.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yo6TADOi_Os

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xd-toBWKktY...feature=related

And if you don't think it has the Plexi voicing check out this link.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MeJ98sY0VCA...feature=related

By the way the JCM 800 2205 head this guy is useing is the same JCM 800 head I used to have and wish I still did.

tommyboy

--------------------
Rock Hard or Not at ALL!!

+Quote Post
FrankW
post Dec 15 2008, 06:12 AM
Post #23

Member No.: 5.004

QUOTE (tommyboy @ Dec 15 2008, 05:59 AM) *
All good tube amps sound better loud...I think it's in part to the sheer power and the amount of air they move. But it's also in part to how they respond to your playing when played loud. Gives me goose bumps when no one's home and I can really turn it up.

As far at tubes go I'm thinking of trying the KT77 high gain set. Not that I need more gain or bottom end but the idea that I could possible get more is quite tempting. I much prefer to drive my amp harder on the front end with my gain turn down. I think the overdrive is warmer and leans a bit towards old school. Does that make sense.

tommyboy

Yeah, pushing the power tubes along with the preamp tubes is where the singing tone comes from. You have to move those Vintage 30s to put it all together tonewise. I agree with you about pushing the power section hard versus the preamp section so much.

There are some really good overdrive pedals out there like the Radial Tonebone, some Fuller overdrive pedals, the BBE pedal, the Tube Screamer, the Vox Satchurator, etc. By setting up the amp's rhythm channel for a good crunch rhythm, and hitting the stompbox for lead tones is cool.

I'm wary of using too much preamp drive in these high gain amps. I like the character of the stompboxes better most of the time. I'm going 50 watts the next time I get an amp. The tonal character is different compared to 100 watts. I remember from days back how well my old Marshall 50s used to sound. Once I re-tube the one I have, I'm going to run an attenuator to get power tube saturation at low volumes. What the hell.

+Quote Post
tommyboy
post Dec 15 2008, 06:20 AM
Post #24

Member No.: 6.175

QUOTE (FrankW @ Dec 14 2008, 11:12 PM) *
Once I re-tube the one I have, I'm going to run an attenuator to get power tube saturation at low volumes. What the hell.

Sounds like a great idea. I'm a 50 watt fan also. I would never buy a 100 watt head. I think you and I think a lot alike.

By the way I don't use vintage 30's I use Celestion gt-75's. It's the stock speaker loaded in Marshall 1960 cabs. wink.gif

tommyboy

--------------------
Rock Hard or Not at ALL!!

+Quote Post
FrankW
post Dec 15 2008, 06:29 AM
Post #25

Member No.: 5.004

QUOTE (tommyboy @ Dec 15 2008, 06:20 AM) *
Sounds like a great idea. I'm a 50 watt fan also. I would never buy a 100 watt head. I think you and I think a lot alike.

By the way I don't use vintage 30's I use Celestion gt-75's. It's the stock speaker loaded in Marshall 1960 cabs. wink.gif

tommyboy

Yeah, man, I am looking at alot of different amps right now. I've always been a Marshall fan. I gotta tell you, the Dual Rectifier I had was awesome also. Great lead and rhythm tones. I'm also sold on the new 2-channel JVMs. There are plenty of tonal options without it being too complicated. I'm also impressed with the programmable footswitch. My only stumbling block to new amp heaven is a thin wallet right now. I may be surprised with the TSL once I retube it though. I believe the right choice of tubes can really improve the sound quality of the amp. We'll see. Rock on, Tommyboy.

Frank

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th May 2017 - 01:05 AM