2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Need Everyone's Opinion.
Guitars verses Amps.
What was more influential to Rock and Roll?
Fender Stratocaster [ 29 ] ** [44.62%]
Gibson Les Paul [ 22 ] ** [33.85%]
Marshall Amps [ 14 ] ** [21.54%]
Fender Amps [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
Total Votes: 65
Guests cannot vote 
Trond Vold
post Dec 21 2008, 10:14 PM
Post #21

Instructor
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 4.261

I voted for the Les Paul, mainly because of Jimmy Paige smile.gif

--------------------
Guitars: Schecter Stiletto Classic, Jackson SLSMG, Ibanez RG-380 Japan, Gibson Les Paul Studio

Amp: Marshall JMP-1 -> Rocktron Velocity 100 -> Marshall JCM-900 Lead 4x12

FX and stomps: T.C Electronics G-Sharp, Korg SDD-1200, Emma Transmorgrifier, BYOC Tribooster, GGG Green Ringer, Dinosaur Overdrive, Voodoo Lab SuperFuzz, Sovtek Bassballs, Line6 Tap Tremolo, EHX Screaming Bird.

My Instructor Board!

My Myspace!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
tommyboy
post Dec 22 2008, 01:07 AM
Post #22

GMC:er

Group: Members
Member No.: 6.175

QUOTE (JVM @ Dec 21 2008, 03:13 PM) *
Taking a neutral stance in this thread (though I'm leaning to the strat), Page actually played a telecaster on the first couple zeppelin records I believe. Iommi played Marshalls, but Laney has been around nearly as long as marshall and he played them early on and does today as well. Boogie hot rodded the fender amps to make rock and roll heavier, the first to do so I think.

To me, "rock and roll" evokes the image of a strat or tele (though I think the strat is universally thought of when the average person thinks of 'guitar') through a bassman or deluxe, maybe a plexi or a vox.

If you want to go into what influenced hard rock the most, I would go les paul/marshall all the way.

Now someone finally got to my thought. Marshall started and were heavily "inspired" on the 1959 Fender Tweed 4x10" Bassman. The very first Marshall amps were the JTM 45 amps. These amps were more or less a copy of the Fender 1959 Tweed Bassman.

This was my whole debate with the guy that started all this. If it wasn't for Leo Fender where would music be today? Fender Amps haven't received a vote. Both Mesa and Marshall are based on his amp designs. On top of that you have the Strat at the same time.

Now, if you ask me who created the overall tone after the fact. I'd say it was Marshall with a Gibson Les Paul following in it's foot steps.

tommyboy

--------------------
Rock Hard or Not at ALL!!

+Quote Post
vikingraider1
post Dec 22 2008, 10:56 AM
Post #23

Member No.: 4.255

Depends what you mean by Rock and Roll - if you mean Buddy Holly etc, then it has to be the strat, if you mean hard rock, classic rock etc then I would say Marshall.

Oh... and Marshall is British so obviously I'm going to vote for "Marshall" biggrin.gif

--------------------
My Gear
Washburn USA Custom Shop Idol, Washburn WI65 Idol, Washburn WI64 Idol, Schecter C-1 Exotic, Schecter C-1 Stealth, Washburn WI66ANC Nick Catanese Signature, 1980s Burny Les Paul, Peavey Wolfgang Standard, Peavey 5150 MKI Combo, Marshall DSL 201, Morely Mark Tremonti Wah, Decimater Noise Gate, Zoom G2 1.u, Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster,
Basses:
Fender Jazz Bass, Fender Precision, Warwick Corvette 5 String

+Quote Post
JVM
post Dec 22 2008, 09:18 PM
Post #24

Learning Roadie

Member No.: 1.984

QUOTE (tommyboy @ Dec 21 2008, 07:07 PM) *
Now someone finally got to my thought. Marshall started and were heavily "inspired" on the 1959 Fender Tweed 4x10" Bassman. The very first Marshall amps were the JTM 45 amps. These amps were more or less a copy of the Fender 1959 Tweed Bassman.

This was my whole debate with the guy that started all this. If it wasn't for Leo Fender where would music be today? Fender Amps haven't received a vote. Both Mesa and Marshall are based on his amp designs. On top of that you have the Strat at the same time.

Now, if you ask me who created the overall tone after the fact. I'd say it was Marshall with a Gibson Les Paul following in it's foot steps.

tommyboy

I agree with you smile.gif

--------------------
Gear: Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Gibson '67 RI Flying V, Mesa Boogie F-30 112 combo, crazy pedals.

+Quote Post
VinceG
post Dec 22 2008, 09:34 PM
Post #25

Member No.: 973

QUOTE (tommyboy @ Dec 21 2008, 10:10 PM) *
The reason I left the choices I did (no Mesa Boogie) was I was trying to see what people thought propelled guitar rock and roll to the for front it became in the 70's and 80's and beyond. Mesa really didn't come into their own until the demand for over the top gain. Black Sabbath, Led Zeppelin, Jimmy Hendrix, Clapton etc. these where just a few of the bands I had in mind when coming up with this poll.

No disrespect to Mesa, as I think their Triaxis may just be the single greatest guitar preamp ever made.

tommyboy

Fair enough, so where is Orange amps then? If I remember correctly, Iommi used the combination of SG and an Orange head on the early albums of Sabbath. You can also see it in the music video Iron Man.

--------------------
METAL SUCKS

My Last.fm account. View it for all the terrible music I play on a daily basis

+Quote Post
berko
post Dec 22 2008, 10:03 PM
Post #26

Member No.: 4.782

QUOTE (tommyboy @ Dec 22 2008, 01:07 AM) *

tommyboy

Yup, my opinion too, even though I voted Strat instead, since it's still more iconic and happened to be more versatile than a LP, I guess that's why many players on the borderline of rock and blues (bluesrock basically) preferred a Fender.

--------------------
High speed, low drag

Check out my YouTube channel
HERE!

Here you can find my
MYSPACE

+Quote Post
Fran
post Dec 22 2008, 10:13 PM
Post #27

Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
Group Icon

Group: GMC Senior
Member No.: 3.338

One thing is certain: no one voted fender amps yet!
(I can see why, they are awesome clean amps, but probably not the idea of "rocking" amps.

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post
tommyboy
post Dec 23 2008, 06:00 AM
Post #28

Member No.: 6.175

QUOTE (Fran @ Dec 22 2008, 03:13 PM) *
One thing is certain: no one voted fender amps yet!
(I can see why, they are awesome clean amps, but probably not the idea of "rocking" amps.

No votes yet. But, I'd have to say Leo Fender perhaps created Rock and Roll...if it wasn't for his guitars and amps we're still in the dark ages.

To everyone, when I asked my original question I didn't specify Hard Rock, Blues Rock, Pop Rock, Hillbilly Rock, I Wish I Could Rock. Get my picture.

I simply think Leo Fender and his amp design had the single biggest influence on rock and roll.

The Strat is a Icon. So is the Les Paul. Can I even tell you what I think of the Great Jim Charles Marshall JCM in case people didn't know.

But since the Strat and the Les Paul were born about the same time but the Les Paul didn't take off until Marshall's existed. Same with the Strat. Until Hendrix played on through a Marshall it was just electric guitar. ALA Buddy Holly.

However, without the Fender Amp the electric guitar was just a solid body guitar. This was my point all along.

Does anyboy agree?

tommyboy

This post has been edited by tommyboy: Dec 23 2008, 06:01 AM

--------------------
Rock Hard or Not at ALL!!

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th July 2017 - 11:47 AM