Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Ear Training, Need a good way to start learning the notes by ear
Rain
post Dec 21 2008, 08:52 PM
Post #1

GMC:er

Group: Members
Member No.: 5.216

It has come to my attention that I need to work on memorizing the fret board for notes and start learning the notes by ear. The fretboard can be done pretty simply but I need a good way to start memorizing notes by ear. Any advice?

--------------------
Galneryus [SYU / YUUTO-LEDA] - the GazettE - Sonic Syndicate - Versailles - Sadie - Takayoshi Ohmura - Steve Vai - MintJam - Sex Machineguns - Gentaro Satomura - CYCLE - Paul Gilbert - X Japan - Disturbed
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Tomas Santa Clar...
post Dec 21 2008, 08:54 PM
Post #2

Learning Apprentice Player

Member No.: 6.283

O.o ME TOO smile.gif

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
post Dec 21 2008, 10:03 PM
Post #3

Instructor
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 3.341

I suggest you first focus to learn the notes on the fretboard well, and then the ear training is much more effective. You will simply tie the sound of a note with position on the fretboard. Also try to remember the intervals withing the patterns and develop relative ear. If you know your intervals well and know exactly how notes sounds in the area around the neck you are currently playing you will have better understanding what to play next. This understanding comes with time so take your time and first learn properly the notes and intervals (numbers) on the fretboard. Engrave the patterns in your head, and ear training will come natural.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
post Dec 21 2008, 10:34 PM
Post #4

Instructor
Group Icon

Member No.: 5.892

There is couple of approaches you could do here but the main one is (sorry I have to say this) is sing back everything you play!
That goes anywhere from scales, pentatonics, modes, patterns, licks, sequences etc.

Learn about intervals and sing the intervals in sequences or all in relation to one note.

Ideal practice should be taking songs out by ear , anywhere from small sections to complete parts.

Let me know if you have any questions. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ramiro Delforte
post Dec 22 2008, 04:24 AM
Post #5

Instructor
Group Icon

Member No.: 5.625

I don't fully understand...you're trying to learn the fretboard notes by ear as you have absolute pitch?
The only good way that I know to memorice notes on the fretboard is the scales and the diagonals. The concept of diagonals is explained in the picture with dots of different colors (three diagonals total). The example is about E but you have to do it with every note.
Attached image(s)
Attached Image

--------------------
Check out my Instructor Profile and Board

LIVE VIDEO CHATS EVERY MONDAY AROUND 22PM (GMC HOUR)

+Quote Post
ParalyzedHorse
post Dec 22 2008, 05:58 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 6.144

http://www.amazon.com/Guitar-Fretboard-Wor...3941&sr=8-1

This is a great book!

edit: whoops, you were talking about ear training. what about this? http://www.musictheory.net/trainers/html/id90_en.html

This post has been edited by ParalyzedHorse: Dec 22 2008, 06:07 AM

+Quote Post
Oxac
post Dec 22 2008, 02:46 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 2.086

I believe I'm the villain to this confusion as I didn't fully explain my philosophy to Rain in the chat.

This is how I now try to learn the fretboard:

Start with any interval, I'd prefer perfect fifths because they're the easiest and a good opener.

Start on the sixth string and play any fifth pattern, like a normal power chord or w/e and really look at the fretboard and sing the notes. Move up a halfstep, play the same pattern and sing the notes. This way you'll learn to recognize that an interval from E to B is a perfect fifth + you'll learn where they're located on the fretboard. You should do this with any pattern (Like fifth fret on the sixth string and second fret on the D string for A - E). All over the fretboard with every interval. Make sure to do this chromatically up and down, learn the enharmonic spellings. Check with a book or something that you're saying the right notes (or check with us if you want). When you know this pretty good, start doing random rounds of the intervals. Just pick a note and sing the note and a fifth up like: You happen to pick a Bb. Then sing a F. Next time maybe you pick a G and you could sing a perfect fifth below, which would be C, and always check with your guitar.

The benefit from doing this is: You'll learn the notes on the fretboard and when you hear a song or something, you'll immidietly be able to play it (providing you have the techniques necessary) in any key.

You should also do this with chords. For instance; play a C. Then sing C E G and play it on the guitar to check yourself.

And don't be to picky about singing perfectly in tune. You've got to hit the note C when you're supposed to and not another tone, that's important. But perfectly in tune isn't necessary, just somewhat correct.

This post has been edited by Oxac: Dec 22 2008, 02:47 PM

--------------------
Olle "AJ" Svensson

+Quote Post
Vaialation1232
post Dec 23 2008, 11:17 AM
Post #8

Learning Rock Star

Member No.: 6.436

QUOTE (Rain @ Dec 21 2008, 11:52 AM) *
It has come to my attention that I need to work on memorizing the fret board for notes and start learning the notes by ear. The fretboard can be done pretty simply but I need a good way to start memorizing notes by ear. Any advice?

Kinda cheesy, but http://www.good-ear.com/ is a good way to quiz yourself about stuff

+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th September 2017 - 05:23 PM