Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Reducing Power Output Via Removing Power Tubes: Safe?
Ajmurrell
post Dec 23 2008, 12:50 AM
Post #1

Learning Tone Master

Group: Members
Member No.: 5.702

While I'm awaiting enough money to purchase an attenuator, I was wondering if it's safe to remove one of the two powertubes that are in my Dr Z 18 W tube amp?

I ask because I know that a few people have talked about removing power tubes from other tube amps to remove wattage (MikeM with his switchblade I seem to recall being an example) and wanted to know if you can do this on any amp is ok?

If it's ok to do so, should I remove a particular one in the Tube chain? And as there are two, can I assume it will half the wattage? Or is it more complicated than this?

Thanks for your help smile.gif Always first class responses smile.gif

This post has been edited by Ajmurrell: Dec 23 2008, 12:51 AM

--------------------
GMC Travel Agent, at your service.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
post Dec 23 2008, 12:56 AM
Post #2

Moderation Policy Director
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 1.167

Not necessarily a good idea.

It depends on the circuit, but it is most likely a push pull output, and removing one of the 2 power tubes will at best sound awful and and worse could cause damage.

Micke can do it because he has 4 tubes - that's 2 pairs. They work in pairs and removing a pair is ok, but removing half of your only pair is not going to work.

Unless of course this is class A with a paralell driver stage but that is rather unusual.

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
Ajmurrell
post Dec 23 2008, 01:00 AM
Post #3

Learning Tone Master

Ah that does make a lot of sense when I think about it! I believe it's not actually classed strictly as a class A as it has *insert technical word here* (thing that automatically bias's replacement tubes!). Not sure if that makes any difference?

QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Dec 22 2008, 11:56 PM) *

It depends on the circuit, but it is most likely a push pull output, and removing one of the 2 power tubes will at best sound awful and and worse could cause damage.

Micke can do it because he has 4 tubes - that's 2 pairs. They work in pairs and removing a pair is ok, but removing half of your only pair is not going to work.

Unless of course this is class A with a paralell driver stage but that is rather unusual.

--------------------

+Quote Post
MickeM
post Dec 23 2008, 01:03 AM
Post #4

Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader

Member No.: 1.062

QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Dec 23 2008, 12:56 AM) *

Yes, works fine here. The rule I have to stick with is to remove either the outer or the inner pair, but at all times leave a pair.

I would not pull one tube in the DrZ. Better just wait for the attenuator.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ajmurrell
post Dec 23 2008, 01:08 AM
Post #5

Learning Tone Master

Thanks guys smile.gif Waiting it is!

The DR Z attenuator is a good recommendation apparently if anyones interested in buying one, cause it works on any Ohm output for tube amps upto a 100W, with a maximum reduction down to 1W.

Apparently he's bringing out a mini Air Brake, for lower wattage amps in the new year. Might wait for it.

QUOTE (MickeM @ Dec 23 2008, 12:03 AM) *
Yes, works fine here. The rule I have to stick with is to remove either the outer or the inner pair, but at all times leave a pair.

I would not pull one tube in the DrZ. Better just wait for the attenuator.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
post Dec 23 2008, 01:09 AM
Post #6

Group Icon

QUOTE (Ajmurrell @ Dec 22 2008, 07:00 PM) *
Not sure if that makes any difference?

Neither am I! I would play safe and wait ...

--------------------

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
post Dec 23 2008, 11:54 AM
Post #7

Instructor
Group Icon

Member No.: 3.341

QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Dec 23 2008, 12:56 AM) *

You can almost feel the experience of Andrew when he starts with this kind of tech talk cool.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
post Dec 23 2008, 02:30 PM
Post #8

Group Icon

QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Dec 23 2008, 05:54 AM) *
You can almost feel the experience of Andrew when he starts with this kind of tech talk cool.gif

smile.gif

--------------------

My Stuff:

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th October 2017 - 03:19 AM