3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Most Influential Metal Bands, Who are they?
jer
Dec 24 2008, 02:29 PM
GMC:er
Who do you think is/was the most influential metal band?

And why?

What/who did they influence?

It needn't be a band from years ago. It could be a newer band too...

No right or wrong, just explain your reasoning so we may understand your point of view.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My Gear

Jackson SL-1 USA Soloist
Jackson DK2M
ESP LTD MH-400
ESP LTD EC-1000
Ibanez Custom S-Series
Martin 001 Acoustic

Handmade Marshall JCM800 50watt head (with mods)
Carvin 50x2 Stereo Tube Amp
Boss GT-10 Preamp/Effects Processor
Digitech GSP-1101 Preamp/Effects Processor
Behringer FCB1010 Midi Controlled Floorboard
Behringer Dualfex EX2200
Behinger Stereo EQ
Line 6 POD with 2.3 upgrade
Line 6 Floor Board
Line 6 Spider III Practice Amp
Nady UHF Wireless

"Who will eat the decay, when the worms have lost their sight?"
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
opeth.db
Dec 24 2008, 02:33 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
For me it was Faith No More. Many metal bands credit them.

Taken from wikipedia.
~~~~~~~~~~~~
Faith No More has been credited for influencing many of the nu metal bands of the '90s[13] (such as Limp Bizkit, Korn, Linkin Park, Incubus, among others) primarily due to "Epic"'s popularity and its rap and rock crossover. Bands rising at their prime, such as Metallica, Anthrax[14] and Guns N' Roses,[15] have picked Faith No More as one of their favorite bands. They were voted #52 on VH1's "100 Greatest Artists of Hard Rock".[16]

Faith No More also became underground and alternative superstars and have also been covered on many occasions. "From Out of Nowhere" was covered by Helloween on their covers album Metal Jukebox, by Apocalyptica on Inquisition Symphony and by Catamenia on VIII - The Time Unchained. Between the Buried and Me covered "Malpractice" on The Anatomy Of and Atreyu covered "Epic" in 2008, as a bonus track on Lead Sails Paper Anchor. Their song "Midlife Crisis" has been covered by the band Disturbed and was originally going to be put on a Faith No More tribute album, but it was eventually released on the internet instead. They also re-recorded the song as a B-side track to their new album Indestructible, but it has yet to see release. Ill Niño covered Zombie Eaters on their The Under Cover Sessions EP . "Mouth to Mouth" has been covered as well by the band Tub Ring on their Book of Water album.

In 2008 Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab released Angel Dust on CD and LP, remastered from the original master tapes.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Patton rules.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My Gear
Ibanez RG570 Silver
Jackson Ofset V Randy Rhodes Signature
Mitchell Acoustic
Custom Ibanez S series (Currently working on)
X2 XDS95 Digital Wireless system
Line 6 MKII
8 Channel USB Roland Mixer

My Site
www.shredwork.com

Learn how to count. It's what separates the hack and the pros IMHO. -LCSDDS

+Quote Post
fatb0t
Dec 24 2008, 03:10 PM
Sabbath. Metal as we know it today would not exist if they didn't exist.

Iommi's use of half tones in his riffs, mixed with aeolian/minor pentatonic solos - influenced every metal player directly or indirectly whether they know it or not.

+Quote Post
Tomas Santa Clar...
Dec 24 2008, 03:17 PM
Rammstein

the revolutionary Industrial Metal Band keeping the Massive Theatrical Fire works and power on the Music

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Dec 24 2008, 03:31 PM
Learning Tone Master
Venom and Slayer for opening the path to Black and Deathmetal, and also Pantera for bringing us the modern Metal sound

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
Praetorian
Dec 24 2008, 03:36 PM
Learning Apprentice Player & Challenge Star
Black Sabbath without a doubt!!

--------------------
Ben

Fender American Standard Stratocaster
Ibanez RG4EXQM1

+Quote Post
opeth.db
Dec 24 2008, 03:57 PM
QUOTE (Praetorian @ Dec 24 2008, 09:36 AM) *
Black Sabbath without a doubt!!

Maybe too a point.. There are too many new styles out there.

Sabbath, to me, is the text book answer. tongue.gif

--------------------
My Gear
Ibanez RG570 Silver
Mitchell Acoustic
Line 6 MKII

My Site
www.shredwork.com

+Quote Post
tommyboy
Dec 24 2008, 04:03 PM
Black Sabbath period! They were first true metal band.

tommyboy

--------------------
Rock Hard or Not at ALL!!

+Quote Post
jer
Dec 24 2008, 04:03 PM
I have a hard time accepting Sabbath in this role as well. Which is one reason I posed the question.

To me, Sabbath sparked the idea of metal. Then Judas Priest quickly grabbed it and RAN! Influencing bands throughout the upcoming years.

This post has been edited by jer: Dec 24 2008, 04:03 PM

--------------------
My Gear

Jackson SL-1 USA Soloist
Jackson DK2M
ESP LTD MH-400
ESP LTD EC-1000
Ibanez Custom S-Series
Martin 001 Acoustic

Behringer Dualfex EX2200
Behinger Stereo EQ
Line 6 Floor Board
Nady UHF Wireless

+Quote Post
fatb0t
Dec 24 2008, 04:12 PM
Ok,

Carcass - Mixing death and grind core - amazing solos, brutal vocals, and AMAZING GUITAR HARMONYS! They really pushed the limit of what metal is and could be I think.

Morbid Angel - Most bands in 1987 were putting hair spray in - This is what they were doing:

Pretty crazy - just insanely dark and heavy.

Pantera, they added that southern groove to metal. Dimebag had the deepest love of guitar and it showed in all his music. Even when he was Diamond Darrell in Pantera's earliest incarnations the solos and rhythm work was out of this world!

Bloodbath - Personally I think this is the most bad ass Death metal out there - I know there is really 'crazier' death metal out there, and Bloodbath doesn't have that 'insanity' factor (which to me, makes death metal cheesy just like black metal with their lame KISS makeup haha)- but this s*** is just BAD A**.

Here's a bloodbath tune with Mickael Akerfeldt from Opeth on vocals: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=znQ7NK8YIF4&NR=1

EVILE - modern thrash that goes back to the roots and adds something new... I don't know about anyone but they influenced me smile.gif

Is that unorthodox enough for you Opeth? wink.gif

Edited for language, The Uncreator

This post has been edited by The Uncreator: Dec 25 2008, 01:37 PM

+Quote Post
opeth.db
Dec 24 2008, 04:16 PM
QUOTE (fatb0t @ Dec 24 2008, 10:12 AM) *
Is that unorthodox enough for you Opeth? wink.gif

Yes. Thank you. wink.gif

--------------------
My Gear
Ibanez RG570 Silver
Mitchell Acoustic
Line 6 MKII

My Site
www.shredwork.com

+Quote Post
jer
Dec 24 2008, 04:28 PM
cool.gif

--------------------
My Gear

Jackson SL-1 USA Soloist
Jackson DK2M
ESP LTD MH-400
ESP LTD EC-1000
Ibanez Custom S-Series
Martin 001 Acoustic

Behringer Dualfex EX2200
Behinger Stereo EQ
Line 6 Floor Board
Nady UHF Wireless

+Quote Post
TreyDeschamp
Dec 24 2008, 05:11 PM
I'm going to say as an older band(and still today) megadeth

Dave Mustane getting kicked out of Metallica and then taking over the world with megadeth can show anyone hhow a little hard work and dedication can get you to go where you want to be.

I think in modern times bands like Bullet for my Valentine personally inspire the newer gen. like myself to go out there and pick up a guitar and play so music. laugh.gif

--------------------
Check out my Youtube!
Add me on Facebook!

+Quote Post
Guitarman700
Dec 24 2008, 06:07 PM
QUOTE (TreyDeschamp @ Dec 24 2008, 11:11 AM) *
I'm going to say as an older band(and still today) megadeth

Dave Mustane getting kicked out of Metallica and then taking over the world with megadeth can show anyone hhow a little hard work and dedication can get you to go where you want to be.

I love megadeth, like my own child!
But, anyway, Shai hulud. (i know, their hardcore, not metal, but they have progressive metal elements) They pretty much created metalcore, and they get NO respect.

--------------------
My Gear:
Guitars:
Fender Standard Stratocaster HSS
Jackson Dinky Custom
Washburn WG-587 7-String
LTD EX-50
Kramer Focus 6000
Amps:
Peavey Vypyr 30
Marshall MG10KK Kerry King 10 Watt

+Quote Post
Marc_Maiden
Dec 24 2008, 07:08 PM
Edit: im changing my post because i dont like how it sounds...came out sounding worse than i meant it

to me, i could list my favorite bands (dreamtheater, symphony x, iron maiden)

and say they were the most influencial,

but that wouldnt be right

we all owe metal to sabbath and zeppelin (even though i dont care much for either...except for heaven and hell), and the others who came after influenced certain genres more than an entire genre....i say this because people now split up metal in to so many sub genres....its annoying to try to name them all...

This post has been edited by Marc_Maiden: Dec 24 2008, 07:15 PM

--------------------
- Marc
Current Set up:
Atomic Reactor 2x12 Cab/power amp with a Digitech rp1000 as a preamp
Schecter c1 plus electric guitar

+Quote Post
Trond Vold
Dec 24 2008, 07:47 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (opeth.db @ Dec 24 2008, 02:33 PM) *
For me it was Faith No More. Many metal bands credit them.

Taken from wikipedia.
~~~~~~~~~~~~
Faith No More has been credited for influencing many of the nu metal bands of the '90s[13] (such as Limp Bizkit, Korn, Linkin Park, Incubus, among others) primarily due to "Epic"'s popularity and its rap and rock crossover. Bands rising at their prime, such as Metallica, Anthrax[14] and Guns N' Roses,[15] have picked Faith No More as one of their favorite bands. They were voted #52 on VH1's "100 Greatest Artists of Hard Rock".[16]

Faith No More also became underground and alternative superstars and have also been covered on many occasions. "From Out of Nowhere" was covered by Helloween on their covers album Metal Jukebox, by Apocalyptica on Inquisition Symphony and by Catamenia on VIII - The Time Unchained. Between the Buried and Me covered "Malpractice" on The Anatomy Of and Atreyu covered "Epic" in 2008, as a bonus track on Lead Sails Paper Anchor. Their song "Midlife Crisis" has been covered by the band Disturbed and was originally going to be put on a Faith No More tribute album, but it was eventually released on the internet instead. They also re-recorded the song as a B-side track to their new album Indestructible, but it has yet to see release. Ill Niño covered Zombie Eaters on their The Under Cover Sessions EP . "Mouth to Mouth" has been covered as well by the band Tub Ring on their Book of Water album.

In 2008 Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab released Angel Dust on CD and LP, remastered from the original master tapes.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Patton rules.

I would go with FNM aswell as one of the most influential recent bands, but i really dislike the fact they are credited with giving a start to so many bands i cant stand biggrin.gif

--------------------
Guitars: Schecter Stiletto Classic, Jackson SLSMG, Ibanez RG-380 Japan, Gibson Les Paul Studio

Amp: Marshall JMP-1 -> Rocktron Velocity 100 -> Marshall JCM-900 Lead 4x12

FX and stomps: T.C Electronics G-Sharp, Korg SDD-1200, Emma Transmorgrifier, BYOC Tribooster, GGG Green Ringer, Dinosaur Overdrive, Voodoo Lab SuperFuzz, Sovtek Bassballs, Line6 Tap Tremolo, EHX Screaming Bird.

My Instructor Board!

My Myspace!

+Quote Post
VinceG
Dec 24 2008, 08:16 PM
i would go with Bathory on this one. There sound is the textbook sound of Black Metal back in there early years in the 80's. They also took the lyrics into a whole new level of blasphemous. No one in the 80's had a more evil sounding tone and ambience than Bathory. Then, Quorthon changed his beliefs, and turned Bathory into the very first Viking Metal band with the album Blood, Fire, Death in 88.

Thats pretty revolutionary right? 1 band influencing 2 different sounds thats still adapted all throughout the years.

--------------------
METAL SUCKS

My Last.fm account. View it for all the terrible music I play on a daily basis

+Quote Post
Tono Fyr
Jan 2 2009, 10:13 AM
In terms of Influence, SHEER INFLUENCE, Black Sabbath. It's impossible to pick up a guitar today and not be in some way influenced by their music if you want to play any kind of distorted rock. I realize that they're the textbook answer, but it's because of the truth of it.

+Quote Post
audiopaal
Jan 2 2009, 10:25 AM
Competitions Coordinator - Up the Irons
Iron Maiden and Faith No More smile.gif

+Quote Post
Emir Hot
Jan 2 2009, 10:53 AM
Instructor
It was about 15 and more years ago when I was going crazy for bands like Iron Maiden, Metallica, Sepultura, Slayer and similar. Great times.

--------------------
Check out my <a href="https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/instructor/Emir-Hot" target="_blank">Instructor profile</a>

www.emirhot.com
www.myspace.com/emirhotguitar
www.myspace.com/sevdahmetal

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 11:23 AM