3 Pages V  < 1 2 3  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Most Influential Metal Bands, Who are they?
Enucleation
post Jan 6 2009, 01:24 PM
Post #41

GMC:er

Group: Members
Member No.: 4.546

I think it was Metallica that did it for me but as I think as I progressed Death really made me want to play heavier music and start detuning, and such.

So I'd say Death is at least one of the big influences that at least I had.

This post has been edited by Enucleation: Jan 6 2009, 01:31 PM

--------------------
Gear
::Guitars::
ESP LTD AX-50 (Temporarily 'out of service')
ESP LTD KH-202
Jackson King V
Ibanez Xiphos (Main)
::Amp::
Line 6 Spider Valve
::Misc::
Pod Studio UX2/Pod Farm
Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah
Ernie Ball Strings (11-48 for Standard D) (9-42 for Standard)
Any pick that works for me
::Wanted::
B.C. Rich Stealth
Xiphos 7 String
Too much....
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Martin la guitar...
post Jan 6 2009, 01:26 PM
Post #42

Member No.: 3.511

Metallica, no doubt

+Quote Post
Carlos Carrillo
post Jan 6 2009, 03:05 PM
Post #43

Instructor
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 4.177

Initially,Yngwie Malmsteen's Rising Force,but now Alter Bridge,Nickelback.... wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
post Jan 6 2009, 06:03 PM
Post #44

Group Icon

Group: GMC Senior
Member No.: 6.517

To be absolutely Historically Correct it was Led Zeppelin that the term 'Heavy Metal' was first used about, so therefore they must be the most influential 'Metal' band as without them the Term 'Metal' wouldn't exist!!!
tongue.gif

Personally, I grew up with Black Sabbath, Deep Purple etc and then into the NWOBHM (Saxon, Maiden, Preist, Motorhead et all!)
It was a mixture of all of them and EVH and early Clapton that made me pick up a Guitar!

As for 'Most Influential Band' it has to be Black Sabbath. I think they were as influential Lyrically as they were Musically!

This post has been edited by Sensible Jones: Jan 6 2009, 06:26 PM

--------------------
I'd rather have a full Bottle in front of me than a full Frontal Lobotomy!!

+Quote Post
berko
post Jan 6 2009, 06:16 PM
Post #45

Member No.: 4.782

Well I think the tree is only one approach, but I do agree with about 50% of it... The way the bubbles (branches call it what you want) stem from each other is a bit too simple... and artificial.

--------------------
High speed, low drag

Check out my YouTube channel
HERE!

Here you can find my
MYSPACE

+Quote Post
skennington
post Jan 6 2009, 06:26 PM
Post #46

Learning Roadie - Never Give Up - Moderator
Group Icon

Group: GMC Senior
Member No.: 3.374

Lot's of good opinions here. Could Steppenwolf have started it all in the 60's with "Born To Be Wild" when they refered to "Heavy Metal Thunder"

I think one thing we can all agree on here is that the backbone of heavy metal is the electric guitar. You can't have metal without at least one guitarist! laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
tommyboy
post Jan 6 2009, 06:49 PM
Post #47

Member No.: 6.175

QUOTE (skennington @ Jan 6 2009, 11:26 AM) *
Lot's of good opinions here. Could Steppenwolf have started it all in the 60's with "Born To Be Wild" when they refered to "Heavy Metal Thunder"

I think one thing we can all agree on here is that the backbone of heavy metal is the electric guitar. You can't have metal without at least one guitarist! laugh.gif

Here's some Steppenwolf history.

"Born to Be Wild" is a rock song written by Mars Bonfire and made famous by the Canadian rock band, Steppenwolf. It is often used in popular culture to denote a biker appearance or attitude. The song is sometimes described as the first heavy metal song ever written and is also said to have inspired the name of the emerging heavy metal genre; although these claims are disputed, the song's second verse (which refers to "heavy metal thunder," though it is either a reference to the weight of the motorcycle or a powerful car) contains the first recorded reference to "heavy metal" in the context of rock music.

I would argue however, Black Sabbath was the true first Heavy Metal Band that influence a whole new genre of music.

Now here's some history on Black Sabbath.
Black Sabbath are an English heavy metal band. Formed in Birmingham in 1968 by Ozzy Osbourne (lead vocals), Tony Iommi (guitar), Geezer Butler (bass), and Bill Ward (drums and percussion), the band has since experienced multiple lineup changes, with a total of twenty-two former members. Originally formed as a heavy blues-rock band named Earth, the band began incorporating occult- and horror-inspired lyrics with tuned-down guitars, changing their name to Black Sabbath and releasing multiple gold and platinum records in the 1970s.

As one of the first and most influential heavy metal bands of all time, Black Sabbath helped define the genre with releases such as 1970's quadruple-platinum Paranoid.[1] Black Sabbath has sold more than 100 million albums worldwide,[2] and were ranked number one on MTV's Greatest Metal Bands countdown.[3] Ozzy Osbourne was fired from the band in 1979, and while initially replaced by former Rainbow vocalist Ronnie James Dio, Black Sabbath would see a revolving lineup in the 1980s and 1990s that included vocalists Ian Gillan, Glenn Hughes, Ray Gillen and Tony Martin. The original lineup reunited with Osbourne in 1997 and released a live album, Reunion, which spawned the Grammy Award-winning single "Iron Man" in 2000, thirty years after the song's initial release on Paranoid.

I think many of the other bands mentioned ( Priest, Iron Maiden, Venom, Motorhead, etc.) further defined heavy metal music. However, with out Sabbaths influence would these bands have ever formed. Just my thoughts.

tommyboy

--------------------
Rock Hard or Not at ALL!!

+Quote Post
Matt23
post Jan 6 2009, 07:07 PM
Post #48

Accomplished Tone Master
Group Icon

Group: GMC Wiki:er
Member No.: 3.866

Black Sabbath and Metallica for me. Black Sabbath because they were one of the first metal bands and metallica because they were so successful.

+Quote Post
Iron King
post Jan 10 2009, 09:26 PM
Post #49

Member No.: 4.058

QUOTE (utak3r @ Jan 5 2009, 07:28 PM) *
I love Slayer, but it's not them who invented trash..... it is Metalllica who started this type of music.

errrr sorry I can't agree with that
there is no one band that invented Thrash. It was really a community of musicians that created the genre. Bands like Overkill and Exodus made a name for themselves at the same time Metallica did. In fact Overkill wrote Thrash songs before Metallica was even formed. Take a look at their songs Death Rider and Rotten to the Core.

Anyway, I don't think anybody can say that one band is the main influence to metal. There's is just too many variations in the genre to do that. Metal works in waves, so the best we could do is list the main bands of each wave that inspired and branched off into the next wave of metal

+Quote Post
VinceG
post Jan 10 2009, 10:25 PM
Post #50

Member No.: 973

Yeah, no one really created "Thrash". It was just one of those fluke of a genre that just happened. Thrash itself doesn't have a unified sound, even on its hay day. Different countries/cities created different variations of Thrash. The big 4 where just there because they had a more defined sound than the others in the scene. They didn't create Thrash, just popular.

--------------------
METAL SUCKS

My Last.fm account. View it for all the terrible music I play on a daily basis

+Quote Post
Sigfridsson
post Jan 13 2009, 03:23 PM
Post #51

Member No.: 6.142

For me personally it must have been Maiden and Metallica, I was probably around 10-11 or whatever when I discovered Maiden and then later on 'Tallica as well, those two bands opened up a whole new world for me and also got me into playing the guitar (aspiring to play the guitar at very least!).

I think that still today should I pick up the guitar I could play along to most of the songs on Master of Puppets!

This post has been edited by Sigfridsson: Jan 13 2009, 03:24 PM

--------------------
Guitars: ESP Eclipse I CTM Full Thickness, Ibanez RG470 with EMG81/85 pickups.
Amp: Vox Valvetronix AD50VT XL

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th January 2017 - 11:00 PM