> Question bout a few licks and picking
Metalhead
post Dec 12 2006, 05:42 PM
Post #1

GMC:er

Group: Members
Member No.: 983

Hello all!!

I got a few licks that I've come across inn the past and im conserned about the picking.

FIRST LICK: is from Cowboys from hell solo by Pantera
and not sure if i should start the lick with downstroke or upstroke this is the first one:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-----------------------------------------------------------------------11-12-15-11-12-15
------------------------------------------------11-12-15-11-12-15-----------------------
-------------------------11-12-15-11-12-15---------------------------------------------
--11-12-15-11-12-15--------------------------------------------------------------------
..goes extremely fast.. count : 1-2-3-1-2-3

So should i start this lick with downstroke or uppstroke?cause the picking stays the same when I move down the fretboard. I can play it both ways but I've started with a uppstroke and played it like that for a while
so whats correct? or does it matter?

SECOND LICK: also from Cowboys from hell:
------------------------------------------------------------------
--12-------------------12------------------12-------------------
-----15-14-12-14-15---15-14-12-14-15---15-14-12-14-15
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Goes extremely fast.. again count:-1-2-3-1-2-3

again with the picking should i start with downstroke or uppstroke? or does it matter?or should i learn to do both ways?
Im playing this starting with uppstroke currently.

OR:
-------5------5------5-------------5------------5-------------5----------------------------------
-----5------5------5-------------5--5-8p5----5--5-8p5----5--5-8p5---------------------------
--7b-----7b----7b------------7b-----------7b-----------7b--------------------------------------
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

another two licks but not from Cowboys from hell
I find these kind of licks inn Blues alot or similar once.

THIRD LICK: I can play it like downstroke-downstroke-uppstroke and repeat Which is what I do
Or should i alternate all the way?(havent practiced this much)........

I find it very hard to do this cause when i've played the 3 notes
and start it again my picking is reversed like: DS-US-DS-----US-DS-US------DS-US-DS

FOURTH LICK: again its the first 3 notes thats the consern, should i DS-DS-US or
just alternate all the way DS-UP-DS
And when i start this Lick over again should I start with Downstroke or just alternate like mad....
the pull-off at the end makes it easier but not sure if i should do this...

just a few things thats plauged my mind laugh.gif

This post has been edited by Metalhead: Dec 12 2006, 05:55 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
RIP Dime
post Dec 13 2006, 05:44 AM
Post #2

GMC:er

Group: Members
Member No.: 862

For the first two I would say try both. But I don't play the first lick anything like that, I do this:

Palm mute the first triplet, legato the second.
--------------------------------------------------PM-------------------11-12-15-11h12h15
--------------------------PM--------------------11-12-15-11h12h15-----------------------
--PM---------------------11-12-15-11h12h15---------------------------------------------
--11-12-15-11h12h15--------------------------------------------------------------------

Sounds more dynamic to me.

This post has been edited by RIP Dime: Dec 13 2006, 05:46 AM

--------------------
IPB Image
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd January 2017 - 01:27 PM