Reply to this topicStart new topic
> New amp
post Dec 13 2006, 04:25 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 914

i am looking for a new amp, at the moment im playing an amp my uncle put together it sounds ok but i want a good amp to practise with.

I play anything on guitar but mostly jimi hendrix music.
i want an amp that has a few features like sound.
My guitar is a squire bullet. Its not my first guitar i have been player for a while i just like the feel and sound of the squire.
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
post Dec 14 2006, 01:56 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 951

I own a laney lv-200 65W tube enabled amp. It sounds pretty good smile.gif very warm and crunchy. It is completely up to you though. I suggest you go and try a couple of amps out.. Check out Marshall amps, laney, Mesa/boogie, line 6, Roland and Peavey. Top amps I reckon.
+Quote Post
post Dec 14 2006, 02:47 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 196

I would also check out some fender amps. They make some awsome combos
+Quote Post
post Dec 14 2006, 10:12 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 370

I would say buy an amp that is designed especially to do whatever it is yu want to do with it.

You say you want a "practice" amp which to me suggests something to practice with perhaps in your own bedroom or wherever you practice. This perhaps hints at something that sounds good at low volume levels?

In that instance I would not recommend anything larger than a 30w amp because you will never get it past volume level 1 and will not get the best tones out of the amp.

Many amps on the market now are aimed at just this scenario and have very good user reviews.
Be aware of user reviews though because by nature we all think the amp we have bought is the best!. The very fact we have bought it makes us convinced that that is the correct amp to buy.

Also think about portability - how easy it is to lug it round to your mates house for a jam. Anything too big and it becomes impractical.

I have heard very good feedback about the G-Dec which has some great features and is well worth considering.
If you want a tube amp - the Epiphone junior is getting some rave reviews at the moment - dont let the size of 5W fool you though - apparently this is a loud amp and delivers true tube sounds. Thing is though you get 1 knob - so its incredibly simple to use.

Modelling amps are perhaps the best buy though as they have lots of effects and sounds built in and can emulate the sound of many famous and very expensive amps for a fraction of the price and most users agree the sounds they produce are really authentic and they give you a great range of different sounds.

I own a VOX AD30VT modelling amp which I have been very pleased with though for the first year I only used it on pre sets as I did not fully understand how to use it - I found a site with patches etc telling how to set the amp up - after that I found out it was much better than I realised !!! I think one of the best features of that amp is that it has a tube built in and a ability to drive the tube but turn down the speaker volume to reasonable levels. I have not used it now for best part of a year and intend to sell it but have not gotten around to it but I would certainly recommend it. there are very similar products from competitors and prices are very good at the moment.

At the end of the day, we can all recommend a particular amp but you need to weigh up the pro's and cons of each and make your own choice - the second hand market has some great bargains too if you know what you are looking for.

Finally, if you are using a Pod or V-amp or similar device - consider getting a multi-amp or a keyboard amp instead of a guitar amp. One feature that can be of use is the fact that most have multiple inputs so you and a mate and a singer and Keyboard player can plug into the same amp for a bit of a jam. (each channel will have its own volume/eq settings etc)

its not easy
banging your head against some mad buggers wall.
Variax 300. Pod XTL & Crate amp
some of my recordings are here:
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st October 2016 - 05:36 PM