> Problem With Pod X3, Sometimes my laptop doesn't recognize it
Fran
post Jan 7 2009, 09:58 PM
Post #1

Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
Group Icon

Group: GMC Senior
Member No.: 3.338

Hi guys, I'm having some problems with my X3...

I have a pod X3, connected to my laptop (windows vista 32 bit) through USB. I use Gearbox. After I start X3 & Gearbox and record for a while, if I turn X3 off and later decide to turn it on again, then when I start Gearbor, or monkey, they say that they don't detect any Line 6 Hardware...

Then I check my system and it says that there's a problem with X3 drivers, and if I open Monkey it says the X3 needs to update drivers (not true because I have the latest installed).

If I restart the computer, all is fine again.

How can avoid having to restart? Why does my computer think that I don't have the latest drivers?

I just restarted computer, opened Gearbox and it detected the X3 just fine. I closed it and turned X3 off.
Then I post this message, closed explorer, turned X3 on again and... Gearbox doesn't detect it!. I open Monkey and it says that the drivers are NOt installed... that's not true!

I went and checked windows dispositives and Pod X3 appears listed with a yellow exclamation mark, and it says that "the driver couldn't load, error code 10"

Any help much appreciated smile.gif

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Fran
post Jan 7 2009, 10:53 PM
Post #2

Group Icon

Ok, here I am again, I think (and hope) that I have figured it out.

So, for anyone out there suffering the same problem, this is what I think was happening: when the X3 is hooked to the computer through USB windows automatically makes the X3 the predetermined soundcard. But when you turn it off sometimes windows forgets to "release it", and set the usual soundcard again.

So I went to control panel > sounds and set the computer's soundcard as predetermined. That way when I connect the X3 it doesn't automatically become (and play) the sounds that the computer plays (but it plays the sounds that work through Gearbox & Reaper, because those use the ASIO driver).

To use the X3 as soundcard I set the X3 as predetermined soundcard, BUT, and I believe here is the trick, before disconnecting the X3 I manually set the PC normal soundcard as predetermined again, and close all running apps. That way windows really releases the X3, so that it starts properly next time.

Wow, long speech here, but I really believe this to be important for X3 users. If I'm right... If I don't post here saying otherwise, then it worked smile.gif

##Fran runs away, far away from this thread laugh.gif

--------------------
Guitars:
Amp:
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:

Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!

+Quote Post
skennington
post Jan 8 2009, 12:10 AM
Post #3

Learning Roadie - Never Give Up - Moderator
Group Icon

Member No.: 3.374

Glad you got it working Fran but to be honest, I don't think you should have to go through all that. I had a similar problem with my computer not recognizing my keyboard all the time. Let me see if I can find the thread as I have forgot the steps.. laugh.gif ...Searching......

--------------------

+Quote Post
Outlaw2112
post Jan 8 2009, 12:14 AM
Post #4

GMC:er

Group: Members
Member No.: 3.852

QUOTE (Fran @ Jan 7 2009, 10:53 PM) *
Ok, here I am again, I think (and hope) that I have figured it out.

So, for anyone out there suffering the same problem, this is what I think was happening: when the X3 is hooked to the computer through USB windows automatically makes the X3 the predetermined soundcard. But when you turn it off sometimes windows forgets to "release it", and set the usual soundcard again.

So I went to control panel > sounds and set the computer's soundcard as predetermined. That way when I connect the X3 it doesn't automatically become (and play) the sounds that the computer plays (but it plays the sounds that work through Gearbox & Reaper, because those use the ASIO driver).

To use the X3 as soundcard I set the X3 as predetermined soundcard, BUT, and I believe here is the trick, before disconnecting the X3 I manually set the PC normal soundcard as predetermined again, and close all running apps. That way windows really releases the X3, so that it starts properly next time.

Wow, long speech here, but I really believe this to be important for X3 users. If I'm right... If I don't post here saying otherwise, then it worked smile.gif

##Fran runs away, far away from this thread laugh.gif

I get the same problem sometimes and i usually just restart my computer, its annoying but it has been working..

--------------------

+Quote Post
Fran
post Jan 8 2009, 12:16 AM
Post #5

Group Icon

Yes, restarting helped inmy case too. But this solution is much faster, plus it makes sense, before I didn't know what was going on with the drivers...

If Skennington finds an even better solution, then great smile.gif

--------------------
Guitars:
Amp:
Effects:
Recording:

+Quote Post
skennington
post Jan 8 2009, 01:20 AM
Post #6

Group Icon

Ah, found it! Have a read thru here. I was having a problem with the midi driver and this was the culprit. May or may not apply to your problem but I bet you are at the maximum of "10 entry limit" This fixed my problem immediately. smile.gif It also is for XP SP2 as well.....

http://www.rme-audio.com/english/faq/10entrye.htm

--------------------

+Quote Post
Fran
post Jan 8 2009, 01:42 AM
Post #7

Group Icon

That was an interesting read Skennington, I bet took time finding such a hidden cause for the problem, the article explains how to tweak the registry and why very well though.

I run windows vista, so I'm unsure if my problem is related to this. After a few more times trying to make my X3 go "undetected" I'm happy to say it works like a charm now, so I'm still inclined to believe that it wasn't a midi issue but a soundcard conflict.

Anyway, I'm keeping a copy of that page handy just in case, you never know! smile.gif

--------------------
Guitars:
Amp:
Effects:
Recording:

+Quote Post
skennington
post Jan 8 2009, 01:58 AM
Post #8

Group Icon

Duh....You did say in your opening post you were running Vista... laugh.gif I'm now running Vista as well and it was a simple plug-and-play on my new computer. I guess Vista does have some advantages.... smile.gif

Glad to hear you have it all worked out Fran, Now back to watching a re-run of House.. laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Outlaw2112
post Jan 8 2009, 03:33 AM
Post #9

GMC:er

Group: Members
Member No.: 3.852

LOL... I was jinxed mine hasnt done this for weeks, and now tonight it just did it again

--------------------

+Quote Post
Fran
post Jan 8 2009, 01:57 PM
Post #10

Group Icon

QUOTE (Outlaw2112 @ Jan 8 2009, 03:33 AM) *
LOL... I was jinxed mine hasnt done this for weeks, and now tonight it just did it again

laugh.gif this stuff is contagious!

--------------------
Guitars:
Amp:
Effects:
Recording:

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th January 2017 - 11:13 PM